Industry Canada

Industry Canada Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

Productive and fast-paced environment

I worked at Industry Canada for over 20 years and I enjoyed working with my peers and subordinates. I especially enjoyed the location, i.e. downtown which took me roughly 25 minutes by bus to get to work. The job was stimulating and i was able to move up the ladder fairly quickly. I would recommend anyone who is truly interested in working in a fast-paced environment and enjoys teamwork to seriously consider working at Industry Canada.

Very Clicky culture

they abuse temp workers and bully them in to working long hours. they rarely hire them full time and just continue to renew the contract with the hiring firm so they never have to give you benefits or paid vacation

Worked there as a student

Horrible management of employees and resources. Many inefficiencies. Lack of oversight, career development, motivation. Cancelled my contract without telling myself or my manager.

Great work atmosphere.

Challenging and very satisfying work. Full filled a number of contracts at Industry Canada all of which were uplifting and contributed to expand my skill set.

Pros

challenging

Cons

contract

Classic work office place and environment

Although my experience at Industry Canada was brief, I was given as task to build from scratch a search program that dectected any human errors with the satellite frequencies. The people around me were very helpful and resourceful. I wouldnt imagine a supportive environment

Pros

Downtown Ottawa

Cons

Cubicles

Productive and fun workplace

Great place to work, with great colleagues. I love 2.0 office spaces and walking stations. The Campus is close to a lot of amenities and offers great views.

Project Planner

I am currently a Project Planner under the IT Transformation and Modernization Programs Branch at the Chief Information Office (CIO) at Industry Canada. In this role I am fully immersed in a large IT Modernization Program for the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), where I support the Program Manager in coordinating and monitoring activities between CIPO and the CIO. I am responsible for creating and maintaining project documentation with the Departmental tool as well as creating monthly project IT Dashboard reports for DM approval. I provide key Secretariat support to multiple governance and steering committees where I am responsible for the logistics of these large senior committee meetings which can include reserving conference/ meeting locations, hospitality and any necessary travel arrangements. This involves, creating the communications plans, internal ‘Wiki’ site (collaboration space), preparing agendas, Records of Decision, tracking action items and follow ups and monitoring the committee mailbox. I am the key contact who liaises with Project Managers and Business sponsors regarding any concerns or questions on project documentation and provide advice and information to assist in the completion of all required documents for each project Stage Gate. This is a short list of some of my responsibilities as a Project Coordinator. In the past I have gained extensive experience as an Executive assistant. In this role, I have coordinated, maintained and supported the Senior Management in the following; organizing meetings on a daily basis and large events, prepare -

Pros

walk to work

Cons

no opportunity for advancement

great learning environment

great environment, team and learning was very easy because of the management team.

Industry Canada

A typical work day was going through various applications and making the necessary adjustments or changes. I learned a lot from report tools, front end UI and UX as well as back end coding, framework, server side and databases. The environment was very good and everyone working there were really motivated and easy going, it made for an easy work area where a lot was able to get done.

Mostly busy work

No real learning opportunity as there was no guidance from senior employees or manager. However loved the daily life and the other coops worked with. Furthermore I've created a database that is still probably being used.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Industry Canada?

Excellent training and great opportunities

Performed daily updates and quality control of the Intranet page “Get Involved”, removing old posts and adding new ones Generated a weekly activity log to update my tasks Implemented an updated information management system Collaborated with editors, translators and project leaders Performed research on WebEx for intranet articles Revised and managed content for news releases and published them online Environment: PC, HTML, Electronic Publishing at Industry Canada (EPIC), Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet research, and Photoshop

I truly enjoy my work environment as well as my co-workers and management team.

My typical day at work consists of an ongoing stream of demands from Management for HR related requests.

Work environment, good atmosphere and appreciation.

Beautiful building, clean with kitchen, private room for outside calls. Good tools and software, Very organised and plaisant

Office Manager, Eastern Office of ITC

Loved this job; life was good within government; started to learn tradeshow management

Pleasant work environment.

Opening the mail coming in mainly with radio license renewals verifying the cheques for accuracy put the invoice and cjeques in the system and at the end of the day balanced the total of cheques with the system to ensure the amount for deposits for the next day.

Pros

a contaract job.

Cons

ok working environment.

...

I have worked at industry canada since 2001 first as an administrative officer and since 2008 a contracting and procurement officer at the communications research centre.

Project Leader

Great work place for entry level into the federal government of canada.
  • Industry Canada