Industry Canada

Industry Canada Employee Reviews

Productive and fast-paced environment

I worked at Industry Canada for over 20 years and I enjoyed working with my peers and subordinates. I especially enjoyed the location, i.e. downtown which took me roughly 25 minutes by bus to get to work. The job was stimulating and i was able to move up the ladder fairly quickly. I would recommend anyone who is truly interested in working in a fast-paced environment and enjoys teamwork to seriously consider working at Industry Canada.

Technical Regulatory

Federal govt regulatory oversight of the radio frequency spectrum in Canada. This consists of all wireless usage but business public and government entities.

I was at the front desk doing daily work entering deta , answering the phone and taking of people walking in . The hours were only day time and weekend off.

Pros

Short hours

Cons

Making large deposits to the bank

Very Clicky culture

they abuse temp workers and bully them in to working long hours. they rarely hire them full time and just continue to renew the contract with the hiring firm so they never have to give you benefits or paid vacation

Learning environment

Industry Canada provides their staff with a learning culture and non-competitive environment. There is room for advancement at all levels. All inclusive workplace.

Worked there as a student

Horrible management of employees and resources. Many inefficiencies. Lack of oversight, career development, motivation. Cancelled my contract without telling myself or my manager.

Great work atmosphere.

Challenging and very satisfying work. Full filled a number of contracts at Industry Canada all of which were uplifting and contributed to expand my skill set.

Pros

challenging

Cons

contract

Classic work office place and environment

Although my experience at Industry Canada was brief, I was given as task to build from scratch a search program that dectected any human errors with the satellite frequencies. The people around me were very helpful and resourceful. I wouldnt imagine a supportive environment

Pros

Downtown Ottawa

Cons

Cubicles

Wonderful employees, a great deal of variety in my work.

Once again a great department and job with great pay and benefits. Industry Canada sent me for training intended to train administrative staff to do computer related work. Returned to provide computer support under the supervision of senior technical support. Provided support to other FedNor offices in Sudbury and Thunder Bay, until Sudbury hired their own support. Transferred to Natural Resources Canada when my position was to be transferred to Toronto.

Pros

Good experience.

Cons

Travel to Sudbury and Thunder Bay when I had teenagers was not always convenient.

Productive and fun workplace

Great place to work, with great colleagues. I love 2.0 office spaces and walking stations. The Campus is close to a lot of amenities and offers great views.

Project Planner

I am currently a Project Planner under the IT Transformation and Modernization Programs Branch at the Chief Information Office (CIO) at Industry Canada. In this role I am fully immersed in a large IT Modernization Program for the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), where I support the Program Manager in coordinating and monitoring activities between CIPO and the CIO. I am responsible for creating and maintaining project documentation with the Departmental tool as well as creating monthly project IT Dashboard reports for DM approval. I provide key Secretariat support to multiple governance and steering committees where I am responsible for the logistics of these large senior committee meetings which can include reserving conference/ meeting locations, hospitality and any necessary travel arrangements. This involves, creating the communications plans, internal ‘Wiki’ site (collaboration space), preparing agendas, Records of Decision, tracking action items and follow ups and monitoring the committee mailbox. I am the key contact who liaises with Project Managers and Business sponsors regarding any concerns or questions on project documentation and provide advice and information to assist in the completion of all required documents for each project Stage Gate. This is a short list of some of my responsibilities as a Project Coordinator. In the past I have gained extensive experience as an Executive assistant. In this role, I have coordinated, maintained and supported the Senior Management in the following; organizing meetings on a daily basis and large events, prepare -

Pros

walk to work

Cons

no opportunity for advancement

productive office, with opportunities to assist other departments

There were many branches of the Government within Industry Canada, and I had the opportunity to assist a few branches, not just the mail office in which I was employed. I was in charge of supply orders, mail in and out, code invoices, answering the phones, and other general assistance when it was requested.

Pros

high salary

Cons

only temporary position

great learning environment

great environment, team and learning was very easy because of the management team.

Industry Canada

A typical work day was going through various applications and making the necessary adjustments or changes. I learned a lot from report tools, front end UI and UX as well as back end coding, framework, server side and databases. The environment was very good and everyone working there were really motivated and easy going, it made for an easy work area where a lot was able to get done.

great place

new to the job, getting used to it. looking forward to good years.

Mediocre

I enjoyed working at the district level of Industry Canada. As with all Federal departments Industry Canada is top heavy with Senior Management in Ottawa. There is somewhat of an "Old Boys" network with many Appointees taking high level positions within the organization. Not too much room for advancement unless you break into the Old Boys network.

Mostly busy work

No real learning opportunity as there was no guidance from senior employees or manager. However loved the daily life and the other coops worked with. Furthermore I've created a database that is still probably being used.

Excellent training and great opportunities

Performed daily updates and quality control of the Intranet page “Get Involved”, removing old posts and adding new ones Generated a weekly activity log to update my tasks Implemented an updated information management system Collaborated with editors, translators and project leaders Performed research on WebEx for intranet articles Revised and managed content for news releases and published them online Environment: PC, HTML, Electronic Publishing at Industry Canada (EPIC), Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet research, and Photoshop

Dynamic place to work in.

I scan documents on a daily basis. I can get along well with coworkers. I can have major disagreements.

Pros

Agreeable coworkers

Cons

Disagreements

CIPO (Canadian Intellectual Property Office)

• Organize and maintain a BF system • Organize and maintain filing system, including back-filing • Handle correspondence • Prepare a variety of documents for storage and retrieval.

I truly enjoy my work environment as well as my co-workers and management team.

My typical day at work consists of an ongoing stream of demands from Management for HR related requests.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Industry Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement