Industry Canada
View all Industry Canada reviews

Industry Canada

Industry Canada Employee Review

Project Planner

I am currently a Project Planner under the IT Transformation and Modernization Programs Branch at the Chief Information Office (CIO) at Industry Canada. In this role I am fully immersed in a large IT Modernization Program for the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), where I support the Program Manager in coordinating and monitoring activities between CIPO and the CIO. I am responsible for creating and maintaining project documentation with the Departmental tool as well as creating monthly project IT Dashboard reports for DM approval. I provide key Secretariat support to multiple governance and steering committees where I am responsible for the logistics of these large senior committee meetings which can include reserving conference/ meeting locations, hospitality and any necessary travel arrangements. This involves, creating the communications plans, internal ‘Wiki’ site (collaboration space), preparing agendas, Records of Decision, tracking action items and follow ups and monitoring the committee mailbox. I am the key contact who liaises with Project Managers and Business sponsors regarding any concerns or questions on project documentation and provide advice and information to assist in the completion of all required documents for each project Stage Gate. This is a short list of some of my responsibilities as a Project Coordinator. In the past I have gained extensive experience as an Executive assistant. In this role, I have coordinated, maintained and supported the Senior Management in the following; organizing meetings on a daily basis and large events, prepare -

Pros

walk to work

Cons

no opportunity for advancement

5.0Job security/advancement

Productive and fast-paced environment

I worked at Industry Canada for over 20 years and I enjoyed working with my peers and subordinates. I especially enjoyed the location, i.e. downtown which took me roughly 25 minutes by bus to get to work. The job was stimulating and i was able to move up the ladder fairly quickly. I would recommend anyone who is truly interested in working in a fast-paced environment and enjoys teamwork to seriously consider working at Industry Canada.

Very Clicky culture

they abuse temp workers and bully them in to working long hours. they rarely hire them full time and just continue to renew the contract with the hiring firm so they never have to give you benefits or paid vacation
Same location

Worked there as a student

Horrible management of employees and resources. Many inefficiencies. Lack of oversight, career development, motivation. Cancelled my contract without telling myself or my manager.
  • Industry Canada