Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Fast paced but friendly community
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC15 November 2017
Indigo was great customer service experience as there is always someone you can help, always something you can do. A typical day consists of assisting customers, boosting sales, reshelving and restocking items, retrieving online orders from the back, and cash.
Nice Place to work
CER (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON9 November 2017
I worked seasonally but really enjoyed it. I love reading, so to work even for a short time in the environment was wonderful. Sad only as temporary
Terrible Upper Management
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2017
Great brand, terrible management. Home office employees are overworked and scared of losing their jobs. Layoffs occur yearly and make it an awful environment.
Pros
discounts, nice office
Cons
long hours, hectic, everyone is scared of losing their jobs
Great place to work but kinda boring
Loss Prevention Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 November 2017
Basic job with standard pay, located in Brampton for Loss Prevention.
Easy enough with some great people around, not hard to learn new things and move around.
fun intresting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2017
This was a great job. I love reading and it was a chance to discuss authors and books with customers.
It was a nice setting and the people were friendly.
Pros
books
Cons
low wage
Great
Morning Taskforce (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan15 October 2017
Great job with great people and management. I loved the products, the flexible hours and the entire workplace environment. I highly recommend them to anyone.
wonderful work culture
Customer Experience Leader (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ON3 October 2017
Indigo is a fun company to work for, with great products and a wonderful culture. The goals are clear and customer-oriented and there are many ways to communicate with other employees (employee email and discussion boards). It feels like a real community.
Pros
great culture, lovely products
Cons
Not much chance for advancement from entry level (at least in small format)
good company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON18 September 2017
i loved working there. learned about books word excel on the computer enjoyed talking to customers learned bank deposit and how to deal with people
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not enough patience
Productive and efficient, friendly work place.
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 September 2017
In an afternoon/evening shift, a typical day at work involved checking in with the manager if there was anything specific they wanted done. Otherwise, shelving, keeping the store tidy and organised was your general duty. Helping customers was above everything else, as the customer always comes first.

A morning shift, if you came in early enough to be a Cycle Counter, consisted of going through the list of things needed to be done before the store opened, such as taking stock of inventory.

The management was friendly and helpful, clear with extra instructions and knowledgeable about general management of the store.

Workplace culture was open and friendly. Hardest part of the job was selling iRewards cards.The most enjoyable part of the job was being around like minded customers who shared my love of books of all types.
Great people- friendly
Seasonal Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC31 August 2017
Chapters Indigo I found wasvery understanding of anxiety, and both the management and the other employees were very friendly. It had a good atmosphere.
Pros
friendly towards nd
Cons
christmas is nuts and anxiety-enducing
Nice work culture at this place.
Warehouse Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 August 2017
The management is considerate about the employees. A very systematic and organized work place. The co-workers are very kind and friendly. Bi-weekly performance reviews are done to keep up productivity. Team managers have good leadership skills.
Fulfilling working in a bookstore; draining working at a gift store.
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON20 August 2017
There is a certain standard of pep and charisma at Indigo/Chapters stores that is encouraged by management. This is great if you are serving customers in your favorite department, but not when you don't have an interests (ie. expensive blankets, jewellery, etc.). This pep is at the core of the Indigo experience, so it is non-negotiable and can be an unfair expectation much of the time.
Indigo
Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2017
great people and culture work balance. I enjoyed the face pace and accountability on budgets, timelines, and execution with project close out hand off to retail operations
Fun, busy, ever changing and never boring
cashier and Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 August 2017
You get to work with people who love to read and who make Indigo a one stop shop. The staff you work with are intelligent, personable, motivated and truly want to help you enjoy your shopping experience.
I would work there again in a heart beat.
Pros
First chance to read the newest releases.
Great place to work for book lovers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 July 2017
Management was amazing here, they listened to new ideas, problems etc. Were flexible if anything came up in regards to family etc. and were willing to give days off if needed. Monthly meetings were you could voice any issues or ideas with no problems.
Pros
lots of books, good managers
Cons
long hours, pay wasn't great at the time and no benefits for part time workers
Interactive Working Environment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  St. Vital, Winnipeg, MB21 July 2017
My time at Chapters-Indigo was a time of learning experience in customer relations. I learned many skills in shipping and receiving,

I learned many valuable skills in shipping and receiving and how to operate a warehouse so that it functions to its most efficient capacity.
Na
Executive Assistant to CFO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2017
It was a good experience where I learned a lot and the culture was great. Challenging and rewarding work.

Opportunity for growth and development which is great.
Wonderful first Part time job
CASH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2017
I worked for Indigo when I was a high school student and then a University student and it provided great flexibility with my schedule. I worked at three different locations and I enjoyed the Yorkdale mall location the most. The management team was fantastic and the co workers were amazing. I look at my time there fondly.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, flexible hours, fun environment
Cons
High Sales goals
Very fun
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC30 June 2017
Great place to work! The staff are great, management fantastic and communicate with each other so nothing is lost, and the customers are generally happy.
a great place to work.
Customer Experience Leader (Current Employee) –  Severn, ON22 June 2017
I Love working with books, it has been great to be able to help customers get into a new series, as well being introduced into a new series myself. it has been a wonderful experience.