Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun Atmosphere with Passionate People
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rocky View, AB11 May 2018
Seasonal employee therefore was not get there long enough to interact too much with management and full time employees. People seemed to have fun and enjoyed the overall work.
Good start for non-retail employees
Customer Service Representative/Cashier On Duty (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC10 May 2018
I enjoyed my time with the company. My only criticism is that the CEO has loose standards that often confuse her managers & staff, making it difficult for stores to communicate effectively on certain trade or sale standards, something that causes confusion and is detrimental to healthy sales and morale. Other than that, I found everything to be fairly straightforward and safe to ask questions within my environment. Store 739 is the best store!
Pros
Good breaks/Easy work environment
Cons
Hard to balance with a school life
Enjoyed thoroughly working at Indigo
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 May 2018
Best workplace seen so far. Best team leaders, managers and co-workers. Strongly recommended. In no time the shift of 8 hours would be completed with so much ease.
It is not what it was
CEL (Former Employee) –  Edmonton5 May 2018
Indigo used to be a great place to work. The last couple years have shown that the company is going in a direction that does not support its long time staff. They claim they are a company that is about people, but their actions as of late are showing that they are not.
its ok
Customer Experience Representative and Barista (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 April 2018
customers suck but its service so you have to fake that they don't make you feel worthless and less than human. daily tasks are easy, and training is done by coworkers, who are all very nice
Pros
location
Cons
customers
Fun Place to Work
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON28 April 2018
A lot has changed since I've been there but it was always a great place to work. Staff and managers are friendly for the most part. Excellent with flexible working hours.
Flexible
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 April 2018
Exceptionally flexible with schedules. Offers fantastic benefits for current employees (in-store discounts) with friendly staff who make work fun and exciting.
Enjoyable part time job
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2018
Indigo is a place for book lovers. People who like to read and talk about what they've experienced. If you have time to keep up with authors and the lasts Heathers Picks, than this place is for you!!
Pros
You get to use the store as a library and take out books!!
Cons
Sometimes very boring when few customers are in store
Great Job for any Reader
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC25 April 2018
Such a wonderful work environment. The management team is very considerate of days you need off. Working there for such a long time really helped me gain knowledge about things I wasn't knowledgeable in before and helped me gain character as a person.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Busy workplace with many people
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 April 2018
My role required a high amount of employee relations and thus have had to deal with a vast amount of situations with the company. The upper management is primarily Caucasian while the majority of the workforce in the DC is Punjabi. Some managers/team leads are extremly professional while some are highly unprofessional (to the point that it comes off as racist) that you have to question why they are still with the company. The best part of the job is that everyone trys their best to work together for the success of the company. The most difficult aspect is coordination with other departments (IT, Security, etc.) for efficiency in tasks.
Fun place to work, if you've got the right environment
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS24 April 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Coles/Indigo, it's the usual, put away stock, help customers, etc. Just make sure you enjoy your co-workers. Personally, I loved working there until certain co-workers were employed and made my time there a nightmare. I have no doubt future employees and current employees won't feel at home there, I surely did, as long as I was working with the right co-workers who never made any creepy remarks.
Pros
Discount is really good
Cons
Boring environment if co-workers are annoying
The coworkers are good management not so much
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 April 2018
For the most part your coworkers are great and it's friendly. It can be good job. I learned a lot from this job and the people I worked with. Management leaves quite a bit to be desired especially the higher they are in the company. It can be long hours such as having to go in hours before the store opens or stay an hour after to finish tasks.
Pros
The coworkers
Cons
Long hours and sometimes repetitive
Great for a first job
Runner throughout the sales floor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2018
The environment was very friendly and accepting. It was my first job so the managers took the time to teach me, although I picked everything up fairly quickly. Even though I was on contract, I would have loved to stay there longer.
Great Work Environment!
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB18 April 2018
Working in a smaller IndigoSpirit store, the environment was much like a family atmosphere. Great for students and introduction to a retail environment. Management at my location was great and I will have lifelong friends from this job that I worked at from 16-20.

If you love reading books, and are passionate and knowledgable this is a great company to work for.
Pros
Discount on products, get to work around books, company events, opportunity to advance in career
Cons
minimum wage
Very good job
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2018
Everyone was friendly and got along nicely. Competitions be†ween workers kept things interesting and allowed for bonuses and salary increases. Fun job with good hours.
Terrible place to work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 March 2018
Overall the staff there are very nice people, I never had any issue with them. My issues always came from the ideas the company and the managers always tried to push. They would constantly talk about everyone being part of a team, but this applied solely to their evaluation numbers. If numbers were low, they would say this was the fault of all the workers (conveniently not the managers themselves however), but when numbers reached above expectations, no compensation or recognition was really given to workers.
Has a great company culture, but makes me want to pull my hair out
Customer Experince Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 March 2018
I transferred out from my hometown to a different city when I relocated. I hated working for the original store I worked for. They had gone through 3 changeovers in a year. Management had no idea what they were doing. Hours were not very good - they over hired for Christmas and this messed up hours after the Christmas rush. My GM at the time refused to help transfer me to a different store.

Where I'm currently working, things are better on the management front and I don't mind the store.
Pros
Great coworkers, great discount
Cons
Bad management
Great experience
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 March 2018
A great warehouse company to work with, nice and polite people, good management. Light weight work not to fast working environment the abilities got understand by the management and the work was given considering the most productive way.
Engaging and diverse workplace
Cashier / Tech Rep (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB21 March 2018
A very great place to work at, the staff on floor are always ready to engage with customers and employees alike in order to maintain the best customer experience.
Pros
Great communication and customer service.
Cons
Computer system is archaic.
Fun oppurtunity
Part Time Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 March 2018
- it was easy to know what is expected of you on an average day, co workers were kind and welcoming
- there were tasks that needed to be completed within time limits, which made it easy to plan our days out

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.