Indigo Books & Music Inc.

Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada579 reviews
Amazing job!!
This was an amazing job. While I had to leave due to moving with my boyfriend I would've stayed forever. Managers were amazing. Fast paced and fun! Everyone was so nice and made me feel welcome. 10/10 would work for again.
Was a seasonal worker over the holidays
I enjoyed my time working at Indigo. The people were pleasant and there it was a nice environment to work in despite the chaos of the holidays and the objectively stressful situations.
Great team!
The people made this job what it was! I landed on a fantastic team with leadership that was approachable, supportive and fun. I would go back there in a heartbeat, but preferably as an Indigo employee rather than being placed by an agency.
No clear direction
Unfortunately Indigo is an organization constantly in transition without a clear vision for the future. It is a company that makes decisions on a whim and does not take into consideration what the data may be saying. Many great ideas are put forth, but more often than not those ideas get lost and the company falls back to what they did in the past. Which in most cases does not work with the ever evolving retail market.
Pros
Access to New Books
Cons
Lack of leadership and direction
Love it and keep coming back
I’ve left and come back a few times, and overall worked for indigo for 9 years not including gaps. I love the culture, the customers, the coworkers and the leadership. Sometimes the sale add-ons can be a bit much, but it IS retail.
Employees are unfriendly
I worked as a seasonal rep and found most employees there behaved like the popular kids in a tv show about high school kids. They were arrogant, unpleasant, and uppity.
They also treat their employees like thieves and check their bags at the end of the night.
Good
Good, it was retail... quite stressful but the people were great! The management was spotty had some good and bad ones. The discount was good. The technology was slow sometimes but still was fast.
Loved being with books!
The managerial team make all the difference, my first experience was with an incredible team but I could not support myself. My second experience, a seasonal one was so challenging with a couple managers who were unprofessional in training, problem solving and resolution!
Pros
books
Cons
not enough hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Indigo Books & Music Inc.?
Depends on a lot, but overall great job!
As a book lover, Indigo was definitely a dream job. I had applied for a couple of years but was too young, and finally I landed my dream job.

Now, it being my first job, I had no idea what to expect. I was surprised in a lot of aspects, in both good and bad ways.

What you need to remember is this: at the end of the day, Indigo is a retail company like any other with one goal in mind, sales.

However, that being said, I can guarantee you Indigo is a much more pleasant place to work in terms of retail jobs than most other stores. Although we do get hectic in holiday and we are understaffed (even with seasonals) usually, it is manageable.

I think this job can be a hit or miss depending on what you're looking for. I'd recommend this job to anyone who's looking for some work experience, a little bit of cash (not enough you can live off on) and a fun time with great coworkers.

In terms of benefits, this depends on whether you are part time, full time, or salaried. I am part time so I do not have benefits.

However, they do offer a program that can help people who have busy schedules and cannot work often, so that may be a benefit for some people who want to work but cannot always put in the hours.

Discount is pretty decent, could be a little more, but not really complaining.

Honestly, the friends I've made through work and the fun memories we've had are the best part of this job. Some days I look forward to coming in, knowing my friends will be there and we'll have a good time (especially when it's not busy).
Fun but fast paced
It was fun, but you have to live and breathe books. Very fast paced and could become stressful. Everyone, including coworkers and managers, were friendly and supportive
Horrible management
Upper management just care about pushing their people to the absolute end and pushed and full of lies and false hope. 1 good manager the shipping guy. The rest are really all round bad people.
If books are your thing then DEFINITELY apply!
I worked at Indigo as a part-time seasonal on the sales floor and it was one of if not the best job I’ve ever had! The interview process was fun and very relaxed. The management is amazing andvery approachable!
Pros
Fun and positive work environment, great colleagues, lots of opportunities to try different job tasks
Cons
They don’t hire very often
Fun, easy job. Bad managers
It truly is a great job; the work's easy and the coworkers are friendly. The management is the only thing bringing this review down. They are so focussed on making a profit that they forget that the workers are human. They give minuscule raises, and they distribute the wages very unfairly. I feel uncomfortable around my managers and I feel like I cannot talk to them about my issues. The issues I have discussed have only gotten me frustrated and reprimanded. When you clock in, they don't bother asking "how are you?" and they barely try to get to know you. Instead, they ask "can you do (insert task here) right away?" Whether you complete the task or not, there is very little appreciation for the work you do. The labour and people at this job are fantastic, but apply for this job if you're willing to be treated as a worker rather than a human being.
Fun job, nice coworkers, terrible management.
Apply for this job if you enjoy unfair pay and condescending managers. The seasonal people tend to love it because they don't stay long enough to experience the internal issues. The managers don't listen to your opinions or try to understand your issues, they just fight back and move you to low performance. Apply for it if you'd like, but don't expect to be treated fairly after years of dedication. But hey, they give us a free meditation app!!!!!!
Pros
excellent coworkers and job
Cons
unfair, condescending management
Good Experience
I did very good there and i gain many things in my experience. I did picking and packing in shipping with the rf scanner. so, this was a great experience with Indigo.
Challenging / Exciting
Indigo was in a growing phase in the ecommerce space and the challenges were to provide the best customer experience at the lowest cost. Indigo was in a very good position financially to invest in the future to improve delivery standards at a very competitive cost but was challenged on labor costs using very outdated systems and the plans for growth were to replace the WMS to a more suitable system which we ended up using SAP EWM model . This provided great flexibility in the distribution center but faced customizing challenges that cost alot of money to the organization through transition the system was over customzed and lost its effeciencies.
Overall good experience
Working at Indigo is really relaxing and you can balance your work- personal life easily. the Management was really nice and collaborative. They are all very encouraging to grow in company
good culture
I love books so it was a good fit for me, and I had mostly good co-workers. The pay is minimum wage so of course not that great. The management could be problematic.
productive
A workplace should be a place which consists of an environment to inspire a person to deliver their skills and abilities for the overall development of the company and their professional growth.
Pros
free lunched
Cons
Fun place to work if you enjoy reading, but the pay is minimum wage.
For anyone who loves books, Indigo is an excellent place to work. Work is never to stressful and the team you work with is helpful. The downside is that there aren't a lot of hours available and the pay is low.
Not one for the memory books
Though I was there for only a short time, we were glad to see it end . The management team was a joke and a half. From the GM to the Floor managers, these individuals came across as having no education in how to be team leaders, whether it be respecting the abilities of their staff to the lack of recognition for a job well done. Basically it was if you didn't have the high performance that was required from you, you were treated as a nobody and not a fit for Indigo.
To sum it up I would not recommend this company to anyone who does not have the right performance standards required to work there.
Pros
customers
Cons
management
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.