Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Reviews

Cool place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2018
They really stick to helping you keep your availability which is nice.
The environment was good and you'll meet new people to work with. There are tasks to get done which is normal for any business. Selling products or promoting items to customers. Things like that.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Things can get busy and chaotic during Christmas season
Don't expect much
Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2018
When I first started at Indigo it seemed like an amazing company to work for, however after being there for a couple years you see it's faults. The company likes to try and promote an image of well being and community but a lot of the time it goes nowhere. Management has been a revolving door and after a while it becomes a running joke. It's a good job if you want a low maintenance environment but when it comes to moving up don't expect much. When it comes to getting hours in the summer there's never any to hours to give out while in the winter months you get too many hours.
Pros
Switching shifts with other stores
Cons
Lots of turnover, bad management
Excellent Place to Work
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 June 2018
If you love books and helping people find their next read this is the place for you. Everything is well organised, and both management and fellow staff are always happy and willing to help.
Great atmosphere
Cashier/Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2018
Amazing place to work, rediscover yourself in books! Great management, great co-workers - vibe in store is very positive. Everyone is helpful, training is good.
Pros
Discount
A great place to work, the people are incredible, always room for improvement and learning new things.
Task (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB29 May 2018
I absolutely love working here! my co workers are so incredible and the customers that come in everyday are almost always really great. There is always something new to learning to better yourself as well as the store.
Pros
Fun, great people, always learning, always something to be done
Cons
Sometimes customers aren't the nicest, the holiday season can be pretty overwhelming
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC24 May 2018
Awesome perks with awesome staff and very organised. Learned a lot about merchandising and product placement. Would work there again if able.Hardest part was the early hours.
Great place to work, flexible schedules, benefits for all employees, regardless of hours.
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 May 2018
If you can get a position at Indigo, hold on to it for dear life! They respect their employees, offer scholarships for schooling, dental and medical benefits for all employees regardless of hours, flexible hours, you are able to transfer or work at any other Indigo location in Canada, and employee discount!
Pros
Pretty much everything.
Cons
I wish there were more hours to go around.
Fun Place
Client Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 May 2018
Was a great place to work during my early twenties, good environment, still have friends from working there. It's retail, but good retail. Room to advance if you desire. Lots of different areas to work.
Pros
Good discount; books!
Cons
Minimum wage
Productive, friendly, fun workplace
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2018
It is a pleasure to work for Indigo. I would like to stay and be able to fit a second, part-time job in. I have been able to increase my computer skills through hands-on experience. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with others, ( I go home feeling good at the end of my shift). The work is demanding, but that makes the day goes by quickly.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
For me, I live too far away
Forward thinking and innovative retailer
General Manager and Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2018
On the whole a great company that allows a balance of career opportunity and development and work life balance. High caliber of staff and leadership through out the organization.
Fun Atmosphere with Passionate People
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rocky View, AB11 May 2018
Seasonal employee therefore was not get there long enough to interact too much with management and full time employees. People seemed to have fun and enjoyed the overall work.
Good start for non-retail employees
Customer Service Representative/Cashier On Duty (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC10 May 2018
I enjoyed my time with the company. My only criticism is that the CEO has loose standards that often confuse her managers & staff, making it difficult for stores to communicate effectively on certain trade or sale standards, something that causes confusion and is detrimental to healthy sales and morale. Other than that, I found everything to be fairly straightforward and safe to ask questions within my environment. Store 739 is the best store!
Pros
Good breaks/Easy work environment
Cons
Hard to balance with a school life
Enjoyed thoroughly working at Indigo
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 May 2018
Best workplace seen so far. Best team leaders, managers and co-workers. Strongly recommended. In no time the shift of 8 hours would be completed with so much ease.
It is not what it was
CEL (Former Employee) –  Edmonton5 May 2018
Indigo used to be a great place to work. The last couple years have shown that the company is going in a direction that does not support its long time staff. They claim they are a company that is about people, but their actions as of late are showing that they are not.
its ok
Customer Experience Representative and Barista (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 April 2018
customers suck but its service so you have to fake that they don't make you feel worthless and less than human. daily tasks are easy, and training is done by coworkers, who are all very nice
Pros
location
Cons
customers
Fun Place to Work
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON28 April 2018
A lot has changed since I've been there but it was always a great place to work. Staff and managers are friendly for the most part. Excellent with flexible working hours.
Flexible
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 April 2018
Exceptionally flexible with schedules. Offers fantastic benefits for current employees (in-store discounts) with friendly staff who make work fun and exciting.
Enjoyable part time job
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2018
Indigo is a place for book lovers. People who like to read and talk about what they've experienced. If you have time to keep up with authors and the lasts Heathers Picks, than this place is for you!!
Pros
You get to use the store as a library and take out books!!
Cons
Sometimes very boring when few customers are in store
Great Job for any Reader
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC25 April 2018
Such a wonderful work environment. The management team is very considerate of days you need off. Working there for such a long time really helped me gain knowledge about things I wasn't knowledgeable in before and helped me gain character as a person.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Busy workplace with many people
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 April 2018
My role required a high amount of employee relations and thus have had to deal with a vast amount of situations with the company. The upper management is primarily Caucasian while the majority of the workforce in the DC is Punjabi. Some managers/team leads are extremly professional while some are highly unprofessional (to the point that it comes off as racist) that you have to question why they are still with the company. The best part of the job is that everyone trys their best to work together for the success of the company. The most difficult aspect is coordination with other departments (IT, Security, etc.) for efficiency in tasks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.