Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Reviews

Very nice job
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 August 2018
Very nice job iam very happy this job but my personal life is very basy my children is small than quite my job ihope my new job is good and i am wait your call
Productive, Fun place to work
Key holder / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 August 2018
Great training programs that help you excel in the customer service industry
enjoyable environment and customer base
only complaint is that i wish pay had been better =)
Not what it once was
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS3 August 2018
When I first started this job a few years ago it was an excellent place to work, It had been a job that I had wanted and worked towards for a long time. At first it was great I was working in the kids section and having a lot of fun. Then after about half a year I was suddenly only ever on cash, I had been completely pushed out of my original position and I later found out I’d only been listed on the schedule as a cashier and nothing else. It was very frustrating that these changes were never discussed or considered with me and when I voiced my wishes to be in the kids section I was ignored. For the next couple years I made it work as well as I could, things weren’t so bad, however, in the last year the companies management style was changing and everyone was brought in for an annual review and instead of getting constructive criticism a lot of employees were told that they just weren’t doing well including middle managers who did most of the work while the upper management hid in the office to avoid doing the grunt work. They expect what was essentially essays as to why employees should be kept every quarter which just happened to line up with university exams making it a lot of work without any time to do it for students. On top of this hours droppedb and so did benefits, expectations sky rocketed and the demands of th job were no long worth minimum wage. They also made a ton of excuses at the end of the year to avoid giving anyone raises. Before I loved the job but by the end of it I felt as though I was being pushed out along with a lot of other employees. They also were  more... making a lot of changes including changing locations but refused to inform any employees of these changes.  less
Pros
Breakroom, food nearby, discount, coworkers
Cons
Random scarce hours, little respect from upper management, high demand and low benefits
Fun workplace.
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 July 2018
It was a great experience working with indigo. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The do have many events also to encourage people . The location is also amazing.
Fun workplace. Nice cafeteria.
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 July 2018
It was a great experience working with indigo. Staff is friendly and helpful. Not much work load. Easy going. They have many events also to encourage people.
Great place to work at
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 July 2018
It's not easy to leave this company, as it is a wonderful place to work at. Management and coworkers are great to have around you, however the company is slowly changing, therefore the positivity is also changing.
Very fun entry level retail position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 July 2018
I had a lot of fun working here everyone was super nice and helpful, great summer job, not great for long term career. Raises are every six months and its like 30 cents and hour or something ridiculous.
Flexible workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON27 June 2018
I liked it lots. Had a very interesting environment, great employees. The customers were kind and it was fun helping them look for books/merchandise. I wish, although, that I could've had more shifts in order to get more experience with the job.
Pros
It was fun
Fun, not a permanent place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 June 2018
This is a good place to work part time while in school or just for extra money. Good environent with a reasonable pay. Allows for several different types of positions.
Great place to work for Bibliophiles
Operations Leader (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 June 2018
I absolutely adore working at Indigo! It's a haven for bibliophiles, with lots of perks. Benefits are extremely basic if your an hourly employee. My management team is fantastic and are always making sure YOU are taken care of.
Pros
Incentives. Perks. Great employee/manager relations.
Cons
Hours not guarenteed
Cool place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2018
They really stick to helping you keep your availability which is nice.
The environment was good and you'll meet new people to work with. There are tasks to get done which is normal for any business. Selling products or promoting items to customers. Things like that.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Things can get busy and chaotic during Christmas season
Don't expect much
Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2018
When I first started at Indigo it seemed like an amazing company to work for, however after being there for a couple years you see it's faults. The company likes to try and promote an image of well being and community but a lot of the time it goes nowhere. Management has been a revolving door and after a while it becomes a running joke. It's a good job if you want a low maintenance environment but when it comes to moving up don't expect much. When it comes to getting hours in the summer there's never any to hours to give out while in the winter months you get too many hours.
Pros
Switching shifts with other stores
Cons
Lots of turnover, bad management
Excellent Place to Work
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 June 2018
If you love books and helping people find their next read this is the place for you. Everything is well organised, and both management and fellow staff are always happy and willing to help.
Great atmosphere
Cashier/Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2018
Amazing place to work, rediscover yourself in books! Great management, great co-workers - vibe in store is very positive. Everyone is helpful, training is good.
Pros
Discount
A great place to work, the people are incredible, always room for improvement and learning new things.
Task (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB29 May 2018
I absolutely love working here! my co workers are so incredible and the customers that come in everyday are almost always really great. There is always something new to learning to better yourself as well as the store.
Pros
Fun, great people, always learning, always something to be done
Cons
Sometimes customers aren't the nicest, the holiday season can be pretty overwhelming
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC24 May 2018
Awesome perks with awesome staff and very organised. Learned a lot about merchandising and product placement. Would work there again if able.Hardest part was the early hours.
Great place to work, flexible schedules, benefits for all employees, regardless of hours.
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 May 2018
If you can get a position at Indigo, hold on to it for dear life! They respect their employees, offer scholarships for schooling, dental and medical benefits for all employees regardless of hours, flexible hours, you are able to transfer or work at any other Indigo location in Canada, and employee discount!
Pros
Pretty much everything.
Cons
I wish there were more hours to go around.
Fun Place
Client Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 May 2018
Was a great place to work during my early twenties, good environment, still have friends from working there. It's retail, but good retail. Room to advance if you desire. Lots of different areas to work.
Pros
Good discount; books!
Cons
Minimum wage
Productive, friendly, fun workplace
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2018
It is a pleasure to work for Indigo. I would like to stay and be able to fit a second, part-time job in. I have been able to increase my computer skills through hands-on experience. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with others, ( I go home feeling good at the end of my shift). The work is demanding, but that makes the day goes by quickly.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
For me, I live too far away
Forward thinking and innovative retailer
General Manager and Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2018
On the whole a great company that allows a balance of career opportunity and development and work life balance. High caliber of staff and leadership through out the organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.