Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Review

View all Indigo Books & Music Inc. reviews

Creative Work Environment Offering Countless Skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2014
I worked for Indigo Books & Music for nearly 8 years, and were it not for a number of store closures and lay offs I would have continued to work for them even longer. It was a bibliophile's dream job.

Staff and management were usually comprised of a lot of creative types, eager to learn and generally pretty voracious readers. There was room for countless personality types throughout the store and they all found a niche where they could share what they knew and work among the subjects that they enjoyed.

As with any retail environment there are both pros and cons. The pros included the option to borrow books, discounts on products, access to all sorts of interesting books and other items, and the ability to talk about these things and share them with others on a daily basis. The cons included relatively poor wages and a constant scrambling for shifts as the option for full time work was relatively scarce. Working in customer service can always provide both extremely enjoyable and tremendously difficult experiences, and I don't think that Indigo is any different than any other retail environment in having a healthy combination of both.

In my eight years I worked in all areas of the store from cashier to shipping and receiving and I am grateful that Indigo's policy of ensuring all staff are extensively cross-trained has supplied me with skills I can take in to many different environments in the future.
Pros
book borrowing privileges, merchandise discounts, relatively good benefits package
Cons
poor wages, unreliable shift availability, scarce full time opportunities

Other Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun Place
Client Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 May 2018
Was a great place to work during my early twenties, good environment, still have friends from working there. It's retail, but good retail. Room to advance if you desire. Lots of different areas to work.
Pros
Good discount; books!
Cons
Minimum wage
Productive, friendly, fun workplace
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2018
It is a pleasure to work for Indigo. I would like to stay and be able to fit a second, part-time job in. I have been able to increase my computer skills through hands-on experience. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with others, ( I go home feeling good at the end of my shift). The work is demanding, but that makes the day goes by quickly.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
For me, I live too far away

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.