Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun workplace. Nice cafeteria.
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 July 2018
It was a great experience working with indigo. Staff is friendly and helpful. Not much work load. Easy going. They have many events also to encourage people.
Great company, terrible management
Customers Experience Representative - Task (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 July 2018
I worked for Indigo for 11 years in 3 different locations (large format and small format) and in 2 provinces. For the most part I loved the job, loved the people I worked with and loved the company as a whole. However in my last couple of years working at the Dartmouth Chapters location, the management was terrible. The current general manager came on board a few years ago and everything went downhill fast. Employees who have been there for years (even before me) were being pushed out the door - having their hours and even their BENEFITS stripped, given ultimatums about the hours they were available for (be available for these hours or else), etc. until eventually they were either fired or felt they had no option but to quit. She started to transfer in her “friends” from other stores while pushing the original staff out. It got so bad that even the Customer Experience Managers that worked below the General Manager started to quit. One of those CEMs had been with the store SINCE IT OPENED. That’ll tell you had bad it got. The store was a sinking ship. All previous CEMs had quit since the General Manager took over. All of them. I left the job because I had an opportunity to work overseas for 6 months, so when I returned, I reapplied. 3-4 times. I have the qualifications. I have over a decade of experience with this company. Yet when I applied I “didn’t qualify” and my applications were “archived.” The GM didn’t have a good reason to get rid of me before because i’m a hard worker, I know the job well and I do it well. But now that she finally got rid of me (I had to quit when I  more... went to work abroad, as I was not granted a leave of absence) she refuses to accept my applications to come back. Oh sure, she’ll be sweet to your face but we all know what she’s like. Even some of the new CEMs started to pick on us, give us a hard time and even made us so frustrated that some of us teared up at work with the stress from the management. When I was first hired there, the staff was like family. We pubcrawled together, went to dinners together, saw movies together, and celebrated birthdays together. The turnover rate was exceptionally low and those of us who worked there had been there for years and were happy. Once the current GM moved in, everyone moved out. The turnover rate is higher now than it’s been in years. Every time I walk in to buy something I see someone new.
In conclusion, the company is great, the job is great, and the perks of the job are awesome. It’s just the current management (not all of them, but most) that suck. Applicants beware.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Management, undervalued
Great place to work at
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 July 2018
It's not easy to leave this company, as it is a wonderful place to work at. Management and coworkers are great to have around you, however the company is slowly changing, therefore the positivity is also changing.
Very fun entry level retail position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 July 2018
I had a lot of fun working here everyone was super nice and helpful, great summer job, not great for long term career. Raises are every six months and its like 30 cents and hour or something ridiculous.
Flexible workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON27 June 2018
I liked it lots. Had a very interesting environment, great employees. The customers were kind and it was fun helping them look for books/merchandise. I wish, although, that I could've had more shifts in order to get more experience with the job.
Pros
It was fun
Fun, not a permanent place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 June 2018
This is a good place to work part time while in school or just for extra money. Good environent with a reasonable pay. Allows for several different types of positions.
Great place to work for Bibliophiles
Operations Leader (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 June 2018
I absolutely adore working at Indigo! It's a haven for bibliophiles, with lots of perks. Benefits are extremely basic if your an hourly employee. My management team is fantastic and are always making sure YOU are taken care of.
Pros
Incentives. Perks. Great employee/manager relations.
Cons
Hours not guarenteed
Cool place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2018
They really stick to helping you keep your availability which is nice.
The environment was good and you'll meet new people to work with. There are tasks to get done which is normal for any business. Selling products or promoting items to customers. Things like that.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Things can get busy and chaotic during Christmas season
Don't expect much
Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2018
When I first started at Indigo it seemed like an amazing company to work for, however after being there for a couple years you see it's faults. The company likes to try and promote an image of well being and community but a lot of the time it goes nowhere. Management has been a revolving door and after a while it becomes a running joke. It's a good job if you want a low maintenance environment but when it comes to moving up don't expect much. When it comes to getting hours in the summer there's never any to hours to give out while in the winter months you get too many hours.
Pros
Switching shifts with other stores
Cons
Lots of turnover, bad management
Excellent Place to Work
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 June 2018
If you love books and helping people find their next read this is the place for you. Everything is well organised, and both management and fellow staff are always happy and willing to help.
Great atmosphere
Cashier/Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2018
Amazing place to work, rediscover yourself in books! Great management, great co-workers - vibe in store is very positive. Everyone is helpful, training is good.
Pros
Discount
A great place to work, the people are incredible, always room for improvement and learning new things.
Task (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB29 May 2018
I absolutely love working here! my co workers are so incredible and the customers that come in everyday are almost always really great. There is always something new to learning to better yourself as well as the store.
Pros
Fun, great people, always learning, always something to be done
Cons
Sometimes customers aren't the nicest, the holiday season can be pretty overwhelming
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC24 May 2018
Awesome perks with awesome staff and very organised. Learned a lot about merchandising and product placement. Would work there again if able.Hardest part was the early hours.
Great place to work, flexible schedules, benefits for all employees, regardless of hours.
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 May 2018
If you can get a position at Indigo, hold on to it for dear life! They respect their employees, offer scholarships for schooling, dental and medical benefits for all employees regardless of hours, flexible hours, you are able to transfer or work at any other Indigo location in Canada, and employee discount!
Pros
Pretty much everything.
Cons
I wish there were more hours to go around.
Fun Place
Client Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 May 2018
Was a great place to work during my early twenties, good environment, still have friends from working there. It's retail, but good retail. Room to advance if you desire. Lots of different areas to work.
Pros
Good discount; books!
Cons
Minimum wage
Productive, friendly, fun workplace
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2018
It is a pleasure to work for Indigo. I would like to stay and be able to fit a second, part-time job in. I have been able to increase my computer skills through hands-on experience. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with others, ( I go home feeling good at the end of my shift). The work is demanding, but that makes the day goes by quickly.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
For me, I live too far away
Forward thinking and innovative retailer
General Manager and Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2018
On the whole a great company that allows a balance of career opportunity and development and work life balance. High caliber of staff and leadership through out the organization.
Fun Atmosphere with Passionate People
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rocky View, AB11 May 2018
Seasonal employee therefore was not get there long enough to interact too much with management and full time employees. People seemed to have fun and enjoyed the overall work.
Good start for non-retail employees
Customer Service Representative/Cashier On Duty (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC10 May 2018
I enjoyed my time with the company. My only criticism is that the CEO has loose standards that often confuse her managers & staff, making it difficult for stores to communicate effectively on certain trade or sale standards, something that causes confusion and is detrimental to healthy sales and morale. Other than that, I found everything to be fairly straightforward and safe to ask questions within my environment. Store 739 is the best store!
Pros
Good breaks/Easy work environment
Cons
Hard to balance with a school life
Enjoyed thoroughly working at Indigo
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 May 2018
Best workplace seen so far. Best team leaders, managers and co-workers. Strongly recommended. In no time the shift of 8 hours would be completed with so much ease.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.