Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Reviews

Indigo could care less
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 March 2019
The management team is toxic.
Disappearing behind closed doors in the office and forcing "senior staff" to run the floor, and not compensating for extra duties.
I have been witness to the General Manager speaking about a team member in derogetory terms on the sales floor.
Productive, fun workplace with excellent employers and coworkers
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPREENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2019
Working here has been excellent, I don't plan on getting another job until I find a career in my field of interest as a scientist.

Skills I've acquired working here are customer communication, conflict resolution, working different types of software, tackling shipping information, taking inventory, and problem solving.

The management is excellent and extremely understanding, and all employees are friendly, welcoming, and helpful. There are always opportunities to tackle new challenges to rise to a higher position. The hours and breaks are very reasonable.
decent experience
Retail Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 March 2019
welcoming environment, friendly coworkers. boring since they insist you overly attach urself to customers and help them when they clearly dont need help.
great place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 March 2019
this started as a sesonal job and it was the best job. management is extreamly understanding and caring for every individual. once my contract was finished they offered me a position on their "flex" team, this means you are not given hours, u can only pick up hours that other employees dont want through indigo share where extra hours are posted. this is the only downfall because getting hours is pretty hard through the app.
Pros
discount, management, hours
Cons
flex team
Fun and energetic working environemnt.
Indigo Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 March 2019
During my time with Indigo, I found that it was very inclusive, fun, and energetic. I felt safe, included, and motivated to do my best. I very much enjoyed my time with this company.
Worst Management-
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 February 2019
Certain managers are the most poor representation of the best life motto Indigo is trying to portray. Same manager displays the worst customer service skills. I was embarrassed to be a member of her team. Reported to head office repeatedly.... still nothing. Did report to another manager who stated many others had also commented on her treatment of others. Sadly nothing gets done. I was fortunate enough to not have to rely on this position and resigned due to the fact I refused to be a part of the team that this lady was responsible for leading. Her best self was definitely not brought to work.
Great Place To Read Books
Operation Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2019
Days start early, work is consistent depending on what arrives, and there is no time to rest since there is always something to do. Great place to start in retail if you love to read and see what accessories you can get besides a book.
Pros
Coworkers, depends upon location
Cons
Coworkers, depends upon location
Not as great as everyone thinks
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Canada14 February 2019
Management definitely has their favorites and as much as they deny it, they can't hide it. The culture in the store is one of pay for performance, which while a great idea in theory (and maybe in practice in some places) is not a great idea in practice when there is favoritism involved.

Most of your customers are great and they can really make your day! Unlike most retail jobs, the chances of you running into the nasty customers you hear about all the time are pretty slim.
Pros
Discount, borrow a book program, ARCs
Cons
Not enough hours, minimum wage, unsupportive management, no consistency in scheduling, availability requirements make it hard to take a second job to supplement your income, possibility of getting no raise at all every year if your management doesn't like you
Engaging employers and positive workplace environment
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2019
Working here was a genuinely enjoyable experience. Managers and supervisors were very accommodating and upheld a positive attitude under all circumstances. Everyone is friendly because everyone truly wants to be there, it is not a job one takes just for the money, it is a job filled with the passion to brighten customers' days and encourage education.
Pros
Employee discount card and ability to borrow books from the store, full of people who wish to be there and encourage education
Cons
Lots of time is spent on your feet, walking about the store or standing at the register
night-CER seasonal,
CER (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 February 2019
5h
10-3am, a good team--
Dealing with product from DC (skids) books, lifestyle, placing out,
Merchandising, product
opportunity to-
work-in-other-locations-
Pros
i liked, it, good people
Awesome place to work!
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Bonnie Doon, AB1 February 2019
Amazing place to work at, lots of fun and loving environment! It feels like one big family and everyone is welcome here at Indigo. Would work here again
It was fun
Seasonal Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON28 January 2019
The people that work there are very nice and that made for a great work environment. You get 30% off in-store and online which is a great perk although customers get better deals most of the time. They expect you to do everything at a very fast pace. The new manager isn't great and not the friendliest.
Overall Mediocre Experience
Ops Visual (Former Employee) –  Ontario25 January 2019
There wasn't enough training or time line planning to understand what was required. Seemed to always be behind the 8 ball with what was due next. Overall a good team.
Good products and very supportive.
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2019
Indigo is an amazing company and is full of passionate, supportive people. They make sure you know that you are a part of the company and they value you. The hours were balanced and most of the management team were absolutely amazing. They were an awesome team to work with and you get a great discount.
Pros
Supportive work environment, good discount
Cons
Some not so nice management
great place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 January 2019
great place, good team playing attributes, fun, i enjoyed training and meeting new people. Always had great sales and we would get lots of stuff at very low prices as staff members
Such an amazing place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BC21 January 2019
I loved my time at Indigo so much! I only quit because I went back to school full time.

My managers were so amazing and understanding. If I ever needed anything, they were there for me. When I first got hired, I was a little unsure at the cash desk, but they took their time and helped me get better at it. There was almost no drama and everyone at my store got along for the most part. Everyone was really nice and inclusive.

If you’re looking for a first job, definitely apply here! Obviously, not everyone is going to have the same experience I did, but I had the most amazing experience. I made life long friends here. I wish the pay was better so I could work there forever!
Pros
Great Environment, Supportive Management
Cons
Low Pay
Steady work
CER-Tasker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2019
Managers are responsible and care about their employees.
With job reviews you can actually obtain raises in your wage based on how you work.
Customers are generally nice.
Pros
Safe work space, and safe employment.
Cons
If your a Tasker you're the scapegoat of the company.
best environment in the world
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NS11 January 2019
Working at Coles was one of the most wonderful times of my life. I had a great team to work with and working with books was a dream come true. The most enjoyable part of the job was reviewing books so that we would be able to knowledgably recommend them to the public.Working with the public was fantastic because we were always sharing our love of literature. The hardest part of the job was inventory and the fact that like most customer service jobs, they are only part time. I left because I needed more hours or more salary. It was a very hard place to leave. The management at Coles is phenomenal. Everyone there is open minded and ready to learn more from each other and the community. It is a wonderful place to enjoy finding like minded people and to share your favorite authors etc. I learned how to use a Kiosk for searching out books we did not carry. I also learned a lot about working as a team.
Pros
discount on books
Cons
few hours
It was a pleasure working with people in a retail environment.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2019
Every day was a challenge dealing with customers variety of needs.the challenge was to try to meet the needs of the multicultural people who reside in the area. It was fun working with the staff in the store.
Production learning
Rf scanning (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 December 2018
While working in the indigo, I had a great experience. I learnt about productivity over there. also, it is my first job over in the Canada. it helps to know about the quality of the product and own safety along with giving production to the company.
Pros
Birthday celebrations
Cons
long distance walking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.