Indigo Books & Music Inc.

Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada587 reviews
I was worked here for 5 months as a Seasonal Customer Experience Representative. They hired me as a young person with minimal experience and were super encouraging and supportive. I worked super early morning shifts setting up the store (5:30 am start). The team I worked with was very lovely, I found all my coworkers super nice and easy to work with. I also had the opportunity to pick up shifts and have job advancement. The only issue I noticed while working here is was the bad communication between management and employees. Sometimes the expectations were not communicated clearly and you did not know what you were supposed to do. Also occasionally it was not clear who is in charge, this may have been because at the time I was working here there were multiple managers and some were transferring positions and such. But other than a few minor bumps working here was quite enjoyable. The pay was about average but the team was amazing and really felt like a family.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Bad communication
I really loved every minute of working at Chapters Brampton the people and the job itself is magical working there is as amazing as being a customer there!
Indigo was an extremely fun place to work that is relatively stress free for a customer service job. You will only get paid minimum wage as a CSR but unlike other minimum wage jobs, you get paid to convince people to read your favourite books. The hardest part of the job was the occasional rude customer but that is expected in a retail position.
Pros
You can sign out hard cover books for two weeks, discounts on products
Cons
Slow days can be boring
I had a really rough year before coming to work at Indigo. But now I know that there are good people in the employment world. That there are bosses who will treat you with integrity, and coworkers who will have your back. But you owe it to them to be deserving of those things, by being your best self everyday.
Pros
Caring management, principled coworkers, beautiful and spacious work environment.
Friendly and warm work environment, and they carry amazing products that are easy to believe in and promote. Beautiful store to work in. Days can be quite busy depending on the season.
This is a great place to work, you are encouraged to have meaningful connections with customers, employees and management actually care about things, and it is a very positive environment.
They are very pro-learning, and if you are interested and show initiative they will help promote your growth, be it in the company or not.

For the most part the culture is positive, its people who like to read and talk about books, it is typically "older" young people, university/college students, which allows for a level of maturity not often found in retail.

Management is alright, for the most part helpful, understanding, and positive.
Pros
encouraging, books, raises, snacks, shift trading
Cons
slow-paced, raises based on perception, not always shifts
the only thing I wish was that if you worked hard enough you could get fulltime position, without a leadership position. I made great friends and loved the people there. Well managed and great company. I felt appreciated unlike alot of employers
Pros
meet great people all the time
Cons
no fulltime hours for entry level positions
For the most part a very positive place to work. Lot's of changes and growth over the years. The most enjoyable part was the team at store level. Hard work, worth the investment of time to see the success.
Worked you like a dog would let you go over a small mistake ladies in the online orders building were rude, judgmental and would talk in their language even when you spoke english they wouldn't make an effort to speak english in a group setting you would have to ask them to speak english so you had the information that was needed.
This was an amazing job. While I had to leave due to moving with my boyfriend I would've stayed forever. Managers were amazing. Fast paced and fun! Everyone was so nice and made me feel welcome. 10/10 would work for again.
I worked during Christmas season as a part timer. What I learned and the people I met on the job was a great experience. What made my experience great was because my managers cared for their team and even higher ups will visit without you even knowing pretending to be a customer to test your current skills and provide feedback on where you can improve.
Pros
Teamwork and Team Spirit
Cons
High Stress during holiday season
I was a seasonal worker, so I saw the store at its peak hours, as well as when there were barely any customers. The staff was friendly and always willing to help the newcomers.
Great work culture. Lots of wonderful people. Pay did not match job requirements. Hours were good but varied. Management was reasonable though the store manager was passive aggressive
The distribution center is a fast paced work place with high, sometimes unachievable individual and shift wide targets, that has unappreciative upper management. You can be doing tasks that are for upper management for months or even years and not be compensated or considered for promotion. The tone and wording from upper management (facility management and up) can almost be abusive at times. Not all shifts are treated equally and some of the supervisors will purposefully target a shift and criticize them for not having the man power to do every task during their shift. The work environment can be very toxic.There is no compensation for working during a pandemic, little appreciation for bringing up workplace hazards, and management may say there is no pressure to achieve targets they will still pressure you to achieve your target.
I enjoyed my time there. The staff were nice but the company is strict with metrics. My manager was very aggressive in the way she spoke with us about metrics because the higher ups put alot of pressure on management
Great work environment where leaders are given the ability to run their business. Great opportunities for personal growth. Lots of support when needed.
Very unimpressed that this was my experience with a manager and team leader. Nobody understands when you're grieving, that you're going to have bad days.
Nice place to work. People are friendly. Only problem is punjabi people clubs only with their community as they are not confident and comfortable with English language
Very friendly environment, but not for someone who is hoping to go back to school or wants to keep a good work-life balance. You must be able to lift heavy boxes if you work in operations or in the smaller format stores.
pretty good, for retail, pretty fast pasced during peak time but boring as all heck when its down season. Customers are pretty good for the most part and the managers are always a great help on the floor to support
I was kept as a temporary worker when I needed more shifts, and when I asked them they refused to give me any more than once a month. I hated that job, the management was barely involved, sometimes rude, and because I had so few shifts I had no time to learn the cash system or promotions.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.