Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Reviews

Steady work
CER-Tasker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2019
Managers are responsible and care about their employees.
With job reviews you can actually obtain raises in your wage based on how you work.
Customers are generally nice.
Pros
Safe work space, and safe employment.
Cons
If your a Tasker you're the scapegoat of the company.
It was a pleasure working with people in a retail environment.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2019
Every day was a challenge dealing with customers variety of needs.the challenge was to try to meet the needs of the multicultural people who reside in the area. It was fun working with the staff in the store.
Production learning
Rf scanning (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 December 2018
While working in the indigo, I had a great experience. I learnt about productivity over there. also, it is my first job over in the Canada. it helps to know about the quality of the product and own safety along with giving production to the company.
Pros
Birthday celebrations
Cons
long distance walking
Overall good company
Manager, Business Intelligence (BI) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 December 2018
Overall good company but very confused organization in terms of how they implement strategies. Could do a little more to make sure the voice of employees are heard
Good Workspace
Database QA (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2018
It was a good experience working at Indigo Books and Music. The work env is very relaxed and stress free. All the employees working at helpful on and off work.
Work with great hourly sales assoicates
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2018
Indigo have great hourly sales associates who create a great place to work. It does create a work/life balance by having managers only work 8 hour days. You do have the opportunity to advance
It was fun but just work experience
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC9 December 2018
I only did work experience for class at chapters and it was years ago in high school so I cant say much but if i remember correctly I did enjoy it even though all i did was put books away.
a good place to work
CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 November 2018
a strong sense of family with co-workers and a great place to get to know and care about excellent and important products. Without a stable platform to advance literature there is much less life in society and indigo does this.
It was fine
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 November 2018
Print media really seems to be struggling. The company is diversifying with home decor and gift items. I appreciated the company being less evil. Kind of a culture around sales and the CEO but what can you expect. I think they wanted a more upbeat salesy person than I am let's be real.
long boring hours
Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2018
super fast paced and busy, management is not flexible with scheduling, also the managers are not the friendliest - the cods/employees are nicer, very long hours for one shift which is tiring, being on the floor was boring & really impatient customers.
Pros
discount
Cons
super long hours, very energy draining, boring
Really nice team
Ops (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC20 November 2018
I work at the Langley location in BC as Seasonal Ops. The management is amazing there. All the staff are amazing to work with and that's what makes my job worth showing up for. I'm really enjoying my job there.
Pros
Borrow books, staff discount, management, flexible scheduling, can pick up shifts at any Indigo if trained
Cons
Lack of hours
Indigo
Visual & Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2018
great company. They provide advancement to those they favour. They expect a lot from their employees and only give you your pay. great part-time job but not for managers.
workplace
Warehouse Associate - (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 November 2018
The workplace of indigo is very friendly. But the thing is you have to hit your goal every when you are step in to floor. Management and the work flow is very smooth.
Pros
two breaks
Cons
walk all the hours you are doing
Tough Work, Great Job
Overnight Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2018
I worked overnights so I may be a little biased in a certain light, but I enjoyed the people I worked with Managers included. Every night was entertaining and fun. I enjoyed the work I did and I enjoyed not working as a sales person!!
Pros
No Customers
Cons
Hard work, hard hours.
Good intentions, too much too fast
Gérante de l'expérience en magasin (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2018
Indigo's mission statement really does come through on a daily basis, and a good deal of it feels great to implement. We are trained to give exceptional customer service and we are often celebrated for it. For the most part, the people you work with are pretty great!

Unfortunately, the cost of always being ahead of the curb is that the pace of change is light-speed. It requires a very specific skill set in the management teams to be able to cope with, and successfully implement, these changes - all the while bringing your teams along with you. I worked alongside over 20 managers of different levels during my time at Indigo, and only ever had two that were able to successfully manage this frequency of change effectively. It's incredibly difficult but can feel exceedingly rewarding if you get the balance right.
Pros
Employee discount and book borrowing program, Benefits, RRSP contribution matching, quarterly and annual bonuses, employees are usually great people
Cons
High turnover, only closed two days a year, operating hours from 5:30am - 11pm, low salaries, little opportunity for growth
Work is easy here
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2018
Day to day work start at Indigo with the stand up meeting where everyone give their work reviews and blockers which is really helpful to understand what is going on the project. Some team are really helpful but some team are not. So i suggest to work really carefully when u work with that kind of team who don't like to share knowledge with their tam mates.
Pros
Free Fruits
fun
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON17 September 2018
really enjoyed the environment during the holiday season. everyone had to deal with long lines of customers and crazy busy days however it all paid off knowing it was the holiday season
Great Job for University Students
Cashier On Duty (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 September 2018
A great retail job to have. The company has some strong core values which they actually live by, and which I have incorporated into my own personal value system.
Intellectually stimulating and fun work environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  55 Bloor St West14 September 2018
Being a cultural department store, Indigo is a place where customers love to shop and engage with the employees. COnversations are always stimulating and growing through customer interactions is definitely a unique environment. The business is expanding so there is ample opportunity to learn and grow within the company. Management is focused on internal development so if you have the drive this is a great opportunity for you! The downside is the business goes through ebbs and flows when it comes to hours at your home store but there is opportunity to help out at other stores. Another downside is the store hours. Depending on the store location you could be working as late as midnight and as early as 8am.
Despite the job starting quite early everyone was very positive
Floor Staff (Morning Stocking) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 August 2018
I learned a lot about how the visual merchandising and stocking works in a retail store. The management was great, they pushed us to do our best but also very personable. The workplace environment was positive and there were never any problems. The hardest part of the job was the early start, but you get used to it.
Pros
Awesome employees
Cons
Early start

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.