Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Reviews

Great Job for University Students
Cashier On Duty (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 September 2018
A great retail job to have. The company has some strong core values which they actually live by, and which I have incorporated into my own personal value system.
Intellectually stimulating and fun work environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  55 Bloor St West14 September 2018
Being a cultural department store, Indigo is a place where customers love to shop and engage with the employees. COnversations are always stimulating and growing through customer interactions is definitely a unique environment. The business is expanding so there is ample opportunity to learn and grow within the company. Management is focused on internal development so if you have the drive this is a great opportunity for you! The downside is the business goes through ebbs and flows when it comes to hours at your home store but there is opportunity to help out at other stores. Another downside is the store hours. Depending on the store location you could be working as late as midnight and as early as 8am.
Despite the job starting quite early everyone was very positive
Floor Staff (Morning Stocking) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 August 2018
I learned a lot about how the visual merchandising and stocking works in a retail store. The management was great, they pushed us to do our best but also very personable. The workplace environment was positive and there were never any problems. The hardest part of the job was the early start, but you get used to it.
Pros
Awesome employees
Cons
Early start
productive and great envirnoment
Warehouse and Distribution Center Associates (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 August 2018
Great benefits, amazing enviornment, fun and productive, work based on target, nice and clean,great staff.easily layoff, if you dont achieve yr target
Pros
free lunches
Spreading the joy
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 August 2018
Between working cash and being on the floor, I very much enjoyed working for Indigo. They had good employee incentives and were open and fair with how they scheduled shifts. Would work there again.
Great for booklovers
CER (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC26 August 2018
The company is responsive to employees. When you use the employee website to get information your questions are answered in a timely and helpful way- so good communication. The workplace culture can depend a lot on the management.
Pros
borrowing books
Cons
short shifts
Amazing place for a part time job!!
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 August 2018
Great culture with lots of fun perks. Co-workers and customers are lovely to be around and makes coming to work very fun. An amazing place to work if you are a book lover. Only down side is you make minimum wage and during the slower seasons (spring and summer) you don't get as many hours and shifts can get boring. But overall and amazing part time job.
Pros
Great co-workers, employee discount, can borrow books for free, amazing corporate culture
Cons
Slow shifts, don't make much money
Very nice job
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 August 2018
Very nice job iam very happy this job but my personal life is very basy my children is small than quite my job ihope my new job is good and i am wait your call
Productive, Fun place to work
Key holder / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 August 2018
Great training programs that help you excel in the customer service industry
enjoyable environment and customer base
only complaint is that i wish pay had been better =)
Not what it once was
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS3 August 2018
When I first started this job a few years ago it was an excellent place to work, It had been a job that I had wanted and worked towards for a long time. At first it was great I was working in the kids section and having a lot of fun. Then after about half a year I was suddenly only ever on cash, I had been completely pushed out of my original position and I later found out I’d only been listed on the schedule as a cashier and nothing else. It was very frustrating that these changes were never discussed or considered with me and when I voiced my wishes to be in the kids section I was ignored. For the next couple years I made it work as well as I could, things weren’t so bad, however, in the last year the companies management style was changing and everyone was brought in for an annual review and instead of getting constructive criticism a lot of employees were told that they just weren’t doing well including middle managers who did most of the work while the upper management hid in the office to avoid doing the grunt work. They expect what was essentially essays as to why employees should be kept every quarter which just happened to line up with university exams making it a lot of work without any time to do it for students. On top of this hours droppedb and so did benefits, expectations sky rocketed and the demands of th job were no long worth minimum wage. They also made a ton of excuses at the end of the year to avoid giving anyone raises. Before I loved the job but by the end of it I felt as though I was being pushed out along with a lot of other employees. They also were  more... making a lot of changes including changing locations but refused to inform any employees of these changes.  less
Pros
Breakroom, food nearby, discount, coworkers
Cons
Random scarce hours, little respect from upper management, high demand and low benefits
Fun workplace.
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 July 2018
It was a great experience working with indigo. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The do have many events also to encourage people . The location is also amazing.
Fun workplace. Nice cafeteria.
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 July 2018
It was a great experience working with indigo. Staff is friendly and helpful. Not much work load. Easy going. They have many events also to encourage people.
Great company, terrible management
Customers Experience Representative - Task (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 July 2018
I worked for Indigo for 11 years in 3 different locations (large format and small format) and in 2 provinces. For the most part I loved the job, loved the people I worked with and loved the company as a whole. However in my last couple of years working at the Dartmouth Chapters location, the management was terrible. The current general manager came on board a few years ago and everything went downhill fast. Employees who have been there for years (even before me) were being pushed out the door - having their hours and even their BENEFITS stripped, given ultimatums about the hours they were available for (be available for these hours or else), etc. until eventually they were either fired or felt they had no option but to quit. She started to transfer in her “friends” from other stores while pushing the original staff out. It got so bad that even the Customer Experience Managers that worked below the General Manager started to quit. One of those CEMs had been with the store SINCE IT OPENED. That’ll tell you had bad it got. The store was a sinking ship. All previous CEMs had quit since the General Manager took over. All of them. I left the job because I had an opportunity to work overseas for 6 months, so when I returned, I reapplied. 3-4 times. I have the qualifications. I have over a decade of experience with this company. Yet when I applied I “didn’t qualify” and my applications were “archived.” The GM didn’t have a good reason to get rid of me before because i’m a hard worker, I know the job well and I do it well. But now that she finally got rid of me (I had to quit when I  more... went to work abroad, as I was not granted a leave of absence) she refuses to accept my applications to come back. Oh sure, she’ll be sweet to your face but we all know what she’s like. Even some of the new CEMs started to pick on us, give us a hard time and even made us so frustrated that some of us teared up at work with the stress from the management. When I was first hired there, the staff was like family. We pubcrawled together, went to dinners together, saw movies together, and celebrated birthdays together. The turnover rate was exceptionally low and those of us who worked there had been there for years and were happy. Once the current GM moved in, everyone moved out. The turnover rate is higher now than it’s been in years. Every time I walk in to buy something I see someone new.
In conclusion, the company is great, the job is great, and the perks of the job are awesome. It’s just the current management (not all of them, but most) that suck. Applicants beware.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Management, undervalued
Great place to work at
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 July 2018
It's not easy to leave this company, as it is a wonderful place to work at. Management and coworkers are great to have around you, however the company is slowly changing, therefore the positivity is also changing.
Very fun entry level retail position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 July 2018
I had a lot of fun working here everyone was super nice and helpful, great summer job, not great for long term career. Raises are every six months and its like 30 cents and hour or something ridiculous.
Flexible workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON27 June 2018
I liked it lots. Had a very interesting environment, great employees. The customers were kind and it was fun helping them look for books/merchandise. I wish, although, that I could've had more shifts in order to get more experience with the job.
Pros
It was fun
Fun, not a permanent place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 June 2018
This is a good place to work part time while in school or just for extra money. Good environent with a reasonable pay. Allows for several different types of positions.
Great place to work for Bibliophiles
Operations Leader (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 June 2018
I absolutely adore working at Indigo! It's a haven for bibliophiles, with lots of perks. Benefits are extremely basic if your an hourly employee. My management team is fantastic and are always making sure YOU are taken care of.
Pros
Incentives. Perks. Great employee/manager relations.
Cons
Hours not guarenteed
Cool place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2018
They really stick to helping you keep your availability which is nice.
The environment was good and you'll meet new people to work with. There are tasks to get done which is normal for any business. Selling products or promoting items to customers. Things like that.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Things can get busy and chaotic during Christmas season
Don't expect much
Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2018
When I first started at Indigo it seemed like an amazing company to work for, however after being there for a couple years you see it's faults. The company likes to try and promote an image of well being and community but a lot of the time it goes nowhere. Management has been a revolving door and after a while it becomes a running joke. It's a good job if you want a low maintenance environment but when it comes to moving up don't expect much. When it comes to getting hours in the summer there's never any to hours to give out while in the winter months you get too many hours.
Pros
Switching shifts with other stores
Cons
Lots of turnover, bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.