Indigenous Services Canada

Indigenous Services Canada Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
Good Place to learn
It's a transition time for government, it's a good time to learn.
the job provide a lot of chance to attend some good training, save the opportunity and enjoy.
Hard working and passionate employees
Amazing couple terms as a student. All my coworkers were dedicated to working within the system and applying their knowledge and insight to increase the efficiency and productivity of the officer.
Nice people, good leadership to work with
The management system is set up in a way people communicate in a friendly way and all pursue the same goal.

Knowledges are easily transferred between employees and trainings are provided.

The concern of one staff is the concern of everyone. I was told to come back next year 2020
High turnover of staff * beware*
Extremely high turnover of staff...some bad management but that’s normal in that kind of work environment. Good central location, a block from accessible transit.
Slow paced and poorly managed
Working at Indigenous Services Canada allows for a healthy work life balance. Unfortunately, the work you perform often does not result in changing anything.
Slow-paced and relaxing
It was fairly laid back as long as you got your work done, keep on track and fit in well with the team. It feels like a family once you are there and they keep you close to their hearts. Mostly going through old boxes and classifying.
Great environment...
Awesome place to start working for the feds but it's slow, so many changes are happenings, it can be disorganized and quiet frankly, departments don't communicate with each other like they should. Managers are very supportive, accommodating and understanding. Benefits are great in the long run and so is the pension but the pay is sorta like chump change. You're also not guaranteed a job when your term is completed. Your coworkers have basically been working there all their lives. Formal education doesn't seem to be a requirement. Must start at the bottom to move anywhere else.
Work/ Life Balance
I spend Monday to Thursday in the city and I only get to go home for Friday night to Sunday afternoon. There is very little balance in my life. I'd like to live in same county as my husband.
Rewarding and Challenging
I was given significant latitude in developing funding agreements and collaborating with high level stakeholders including legal, First Nations and other government officials
Employee Culture
The get togethers helped bond employees and made the time more enjoyable. Management could be interesting at times so maybe keep good records with notes and times of meetings in committees. Be aware of new employees especially related to management
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
This was done less and less
Sink or swim casual term for a woman on maternity leave
This position was an extremely challenging one as there was no introduction, nor was there any ongoing training. It was literally a sink or swim. I swam.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
no help.
High energy workplace with many conflicting demands
The team spirit was very good. The workload was extremely heavy and there needs to be improvements in administration of how work happens. They could also use more staff to assist with the work demands.
The passion about the nature of the work was extraordinary. People were inspired by the positive changes they were able to assist clients in attaining.
Pros
Good time spirit and sense of accomplishment by meeting client needs.
Cons
Extremely heavy workload that could create a sense of never feeling on top of things.
Great department to gain valuable skills and learn about the development of Canada's Indigenous population
- gained valuable skills relating to internal federal government functions
- many networking opportunities

- management found meaningful work for me even as a student in an entry-level position

- some opportunities for full-time employment after graduation
Great Summer Experience
Worked as a summer student in the economic development unit. A fantastic summer job for a business student, such as myself, to develop my business analytical skills, while also learning about the indigenous culture.
Great place to work!
I am doing Co-op program at Indigenous Services Canada. I am impressed how well organized they are and they have great staff! I met many people and I could learn about the Indigenous people, great history!!!
Work Monday to Friday
Work Monday to Friday. Nice variety of applications exposure, the nature of the work role is First Level due to volume of work as there is little time to get deeper into details.
Pros
Good working hours and weekends off