Indigenous Services Canada

Indigenous Services Canada Employee Reviews with Jobs

Canada23 reviews

Productive work place

Fast pace environment, yet very lengthy bureaucratic processesManagement could be more considerate of staff in terms of work load and could provide clearer direction

Pros

Possibility of advancement

Cons

last minute urgencies past work hours, Lengthy process for approval, Lack of direction

Toxic Beauracracy

Highly political. Cannot see the forest for the trees!Indigenous Services Canada a tough place to work. Not allowed to talk to my coworkers. Feels like jail.

Insights into Indigenous Services Canada

What people like
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Avoid this company.

I have worked for this company for ten years and they have become terrible employers. Their management team only cares about having a “body” present in the clinic for staffing numbers. Their communication is extremely poor. You often have pay issues or don’t get paid. You are always pulled from your assignment. You are always short staffed. This company needs to do better in order to have proper staffing, no one wants to work for them. They create very unsafe work environments for their employees.

Pros

If you enjoy being short staffed, you can guarantee you will be.

Cons

Poor communication, disorganized, pay problems, constant travel issues, dishonest with travel assignments, often pulled and redirected.

Environnement de travail productifs et agrable

En travaille pour faire nourrir la famille et rendre l'environnement propre

Pros

Repas gratuit

Cons

Courtes pause et assurance maladie

Low stress

Great manager, very supportive and super approachable. Work can get a little boring at times. At other times incoming phone calls are off the hook. Most frustrating thing are requests that are submitted late or incomplete and expected to be processed IMMEDIATELY. Volume can be heavy and is definitely steady. Work from home is good. Still connected to the team although you have to build relationships virtually

Pros

Great manager, work from home, feel like you are making a difference for others

Cons

Can get a little humdrum... same old same old

They try their best but there is so much red tape

You will work with a group of people passionate about their job, but worn down by non-stop meetings and red tape preventing real progress from being made. Not a terrible place to work but you'll need patience and be okay with being stuck indoors all the time.

Pros

Casual workplace, good people

Cons

Boring for outdoorsy people, All Hail The Federal Budget

Cubicle Life

Unfortunately I was only with the department for 3 weeks as I was involved in a motor vehicle accident on my way home from work and was not able to continue in my position due to a concussion.

Hard working and passionate employees

Amazing couple terms as a student. All my coworkers were dedicated to working within the system and applying their knowledge and insight to increase the efficiency and productivity of the officer.

Nice people, good leadership to work with

The management system is set up in a way people communicate in a friendly way and all pursue the same goal. Knowledges are easily transferred between employees and trainings are provided. The concern of one staff is the concern of everyone. I was told to come back next year 2020

High turnover of staff * beware*

Extremely high turnover of staff...some bad management but that’s normal in that kind of work environment. Good central location, a block from accessible transit.

Slow paced and poorly managed

Working at Indigenous Services Canada allows for a healthy work life balance. Unfortunately, the work you perform often does not result in changing anything.

Good Place to learn

It's a transition time for government, it's a good time to learn. the job provide a lot of chance to attend some good training, save the opportunity and enjoy.

Slow-paced and relaxing

It was fairly laid back as long as you got your work done, keep on track and fit in well with the team. It feels like a family once you are there and they keep you close to their hearts. Mostly going through old boxes and classifying.

Great environment...

Awesome place to start working for the feds but it's slow, so many changes are happenings, it can be disorganized and quiet frankly, departments don't communicate with each other like they should. Managers are very supportive, accommodating and understanding. Benefits are great in the long run and so is the pension but the pay is sorta like chump change. You're also not guaranteed a job when your term is completed. Your coworkers have basically been working there all their lives. Formal education doesn't seem to be a requirement. Must start at the bottom to move anywhere else.

Work/ Life Balance

I spend Monday to Thursday in the city and I only get to go home for Friday night to Sunday afternoon. There is very little balance in my life. I'd like to live in same county as my husband.

Rewarding and Challenging

I was given significant latitude in developing funding agreements and collaborating with high level stakeholders including legal, First Nations and other government officials

Employee Culture

The get togethers helped bond employees and made the time more enjoyable. Management could be interesting at times so maybe keep good records with notes and times of meetings in committees. Be aware of new employees especially related to management

Pros

Fun environment

Cons

This was done less and less

Sink or swim casual term for a woman on maternity leave

This position was an extremely challenging one as there was no introduction, nor was there any ongoing training. It was literally a sink or swim. I swam.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

no help.

High energy workplace with many conflicting demands

The team spirit was very good. The workload was extremely heavy and there needs to be improvements in administration of how work happens. They could also use more staff to assist with the work demands. The passion about the nature of the work was extraordinary. People were inspired by the positive changes they were able to assist clients in attaining.

Pros

Good time spirit and sense of accomplishment by meeting client needs.

Cons

Extremely heavy workload that could create a sense of never feeling on top of things.

Great department to gain valuable skills and learn about the development of Canada's Indigenous population

- gained valuable skills relating to internal federal government functions - many networking opportunities - management found meaningful work for me even as a student in an entry-level position - some opportunities for full-time employment after graduation

Great Summer Experience

Worked as a summer student in the economic development unit. A fantastic summer job for a business student, such as myself, to develop my business analytical skills, while also learning about the indigenous culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigenous Services Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement