Independent Living Waterloo Region

Independent Living Waterloo Region Employee Reviews

good overall picture, bad execution

Are really on top of orientation, and hours of shifts. However Had to change my availability and called and left messages, after messages. Tried numerous times to email and the supervisor you are appointed to does not get back to you. Very poor professionalism and communication. There is no general manager or someone you can go above if you have a problem.

Pros

Helping people with disabilities

Cons

poor communication, poor professionalism, poor execution of helping others

Management manipulates clients

The management here likes to manipulate their clients into unsafe situations. The pay is minimal, and even with given availability due to multiple jobs, they still call you when you are working another job.

Pros

Helping others

Official response from Independent Living Waterloo Region

23 July 2021
I'm sorry to read that you did not have a positive experience working at ILCWR. Our organization is currently going through many changes, focused on improving the experience of our employees and consumers. These changes will create an organization that values accountability, respect, responsiveness, and collaboration.If you’re willing, I would like to discuss your concerns in more detail and learn from your perspective. Your feedback will assist ILCWR to make the changes mentioned above. Please contact our office and ask for the Director of Human Resources, or email us using the address located on our website: www.ilcwr.org/contact

Horribly run

Just all around awful place to work they don’t care about the residents or employees definitely some favoritism in play ... hire all types of people who cannot even communicate with residents because of language barriers.. if you want somewhere that you can make money and be treated like less than, this is the place to be. Only positive was the residents . That’s all I hung in there for

Pros

Getting paid

Cons

Everything else

Terrible

By far the worst agency I’ve ever worked for, extremely unprofessional, terrible reputation with their clients, and treat new hires like they are absolutely useless. I would never recommend this place to anybody and feel sorry for the people that they serve.

productive, competitive and collaborative workplace

It is an awesome experience to work at independent living center of Waterloo. Staff is very co-operative and the consumers are also supportive. Salary is been provided on time.

A great place to enhance skills and knowledge

The Independent living center of Waterloo region working excellent to provide supportive care in context to enable people live independently. Supportive staff members. Great organizational structure.

Little-no training given

Very high expectations, no support and very little training however, the supervisor is amazing! This place has potential if they just trained people a little more.

Do not work here!

Do not recommend this company. Job training and expectations inadequate for job you are expected to do. Staff retention is low as this company has problems keeping people. Expected to work alone in high risk situations. Management schedules in shifts without telling you. Feel bad for consumers and staff alike. Employees constantly gossip and backstab other employees and talk bad about consumers. Really not right!

A truly unique employment opportunity

There is no agency in our region that provides the same type of support as ILC. This is not typical PSW work. This agency supports adults with physical disabilities to live fully independent lives of their choosing. Working here takes a special type of person because, well, when people live independently it presents many unique opportunities and sometimes challenges. However, the personal rewards for doing this work are unmatchable. Working here you know that you are making a real difference in someone's life. The pay and benefits are better than any other agency providing similar services. Are there challenges? Yes. But many of those speak to the state of healthcare in our region and not necessarily ILC's ability to continue to follow their mandate of client directed care. I read a couple of negative reviews below. That's too bad, and they are entitled to their own opinions, however it sounds like they have had a negative experience. I speak with many clients and staff from across this agency and most are very pleased to be associated with the Independent Living Centre of Waterloo Region.

Pros

supporting adults to live independently

Cons

regionwide PSW shortages resulting in being shortstaffed

Terrible, just terrible

Not a good place to work, always short staffed, high turn around rate for employees, management not the greatest, no communication, always try to get away with last minute schedule changes without notifying you. Terrible management in this company. The managers need to be trained. Staff turn over rate is very high. Inadequate training for the job you are expected to do. Typical day at work takes all day and evening. many hours in between calls. Management is young and inexperienced and cannot be trusted to care about employees even bullies to clients and staff. An employee is more likely to be fired than have management sort out issues. Employee retention is low and clients are not the main focus of this company. Hiring practices are inadequate as there is no requirement to work for this company meaning that clients are getting inadequate care. Clients always grateful,management not all. You will never be appreciated for going above and beyond. this company will keep inexperienced employees over certified and experienced employees because they do not want the rest of the team to feel inadequate. even though they advertise that the PSW will do medical procedures according to clients direction it will be used against you should you be involved in any issue.

Pros

Helping clients that appreciate you

Cons

Everything except the clients

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Independent Living Waterloo Region?

Poorly managed

Terrible management in this company. The magers need to be trained. Staff turn over rate is very high. Inadequate training for the job you are expected to do.

Cons

Supporting clients experiencing physical challenges

Workers are trained on individual daily routines of the consumers of the agency's services. The persons support direct their own care and make their own life style decisions.

Pros

Active yet supportive work culture

Cons

Risks associated with physical supports of clients, i.e. back injuries

its a job

not the greatest place to work, always short staffed, high turn around rate for employees, management not the greatest, no communication, always try to get away with last minute schedule changes without notifying you

Dont work here. Save yourself while you can

Worked for company for years. Do not recommend. Unorganized with care. NO BREAKS FOR STAFF! Gossip and abuse regularly. Not recommended. Feel bad for the clients.

great learning environment

i learned a lot in the working field, the consumers were great, the hardest part of the job for me would of had to of been the scheduling part. but i loved my job

overall good

I enjoyed helping the clients with the daily tasks of, cleaning, laundry, food prep, and spending time with them. The hardest part about the job was seeing my clients in pain, and the most enjoyable part about the job was being able to make the clients smile.

Great Place to Work

I absolutely LOVE working for ILCWR. Not only are the an amazing team to work with, but the also provided amazing service to amazing people. The consumers have helped me to become more aware of the physical barriers in our community. The only thing i don't like about working for ILCWR is the scheduling,. As much as the management team tries their best to accomadate everyone, somedays i only actually work 6 hours total but the day starts at 6;50am and doesnt finish until 10pm. Theres too many split shifts in day.

Expected to wear many hats without being compensated for your work

Very relaxed environment. There is no Executive Director, organization being run by 3 employees. Enjoyed working with my co-workers Not getting financially compensated for your work and expected to do more than one job at a time. Not getting assistance when needed What the organization does for the community

Pros

Organization plays a good part in the people of community that needs their services

Cons

No Executive Director

team Work, fun place

assisted people with disabilities to accomplish activities of daily living, durind the process I learned that nothing is impossible as long as you are willing to try or learn. We worked in a team environment, were we assisted each other to provide a better service to consumers. The hardest part of the job was to work for long shifts and to work over time when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was the to feel that you have done the best for your clients by assisting them with respect and goodwill.

Pros

friendly and helpful co-workers

Cons

Long shifts, sometimes to work understaffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Independent Living Waterloo Region. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7