Independent Grocer Employee Reviews

It is hard not to laugh at a serious question.
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 March 2015
I learned that there are sometimes "stupid" questions but you have to take them seriously to provide the best costumer service.
A typical day involved some banter with the butchers, a casual threat here or there, followed by the sounds of a hearty laugh.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
no advancement
productive and good work environment
Co-op placement Produce (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, ON9 May 2014
i learned how to make multiple different types of salads, fruit and veggie trays, fruit and veggie platters, yogurt parfaits, nacho dip, pumpernickel bread and dip, how to properly sanitize a work station, how to price everything correctly, how to do temp.log at the end of the closing shift and plenty of other things.
The management is great, all of the employees, managers and the owner himself are all very polite, outgoing people.
the hardest part of my job when i had first started was filling every section in the salad bar out on the floor, and then filing up the freezer with prep for the next day.
The most enjoyable part of my job at the Independant was working with, as well as getting to know my co-workers and management.
Pros
I was able take my two fifteen minute, and my one half hour breaks at whatever time throughout my shift i chose to.
Cons
not enough hours available.
an okay workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 April 2014
a typical day at work was going to my cash and usually being taken off by my boss, when i got taken off i would be helping other cashiers.
Cons
not enough hours
Pretty good place to work at.
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2014
One must keep in mind that I only worked as a night crew member, so when I rate things like benefits and Work/Life balance, keep that in mind.
Typical night was getting product, sorting it out, organizing it, putting it up on the shelves and facing the aisles.
Learned a bit more about the types of products a grocery store has and how they organize them.
Fine. Everything generally went smoothly.
A fun bunch, but not for the faint of heart. Definitely hard workers who didn't take any nonsense.
When a truck arrived late or we had a huge order and had to scramble to get everything done on time.
The banter between coworkers.
Great atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON8 August 2013
This was a great and fun first job. I learnt a lot with customer service.
Fun and influential job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, On25 April 2013
+Book keeping
+Communicating with customers
+ Memorization of sales and codes
fun place to work, well managed
Cashier/Customer Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ON7 March 2013
My typical day at work include serving customers on till, bagging groceries, carrying out groceries as well as aid customers to find their items. I have learned to work with people very well here. The most enjoyable part of my day is helping customers and being interactive.
Fun ppl!
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON18 September 2012
so much funworking there, learned a lot, met great people, had good hours, they work around school schedules as well.
A new learning experience
Garden Centre Clerk (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON6 May 2012
A typical day at Independent Grocer's

Arrive at work either morning or afternoon shift, I would change into my uniform and start watering the flowers, trees, and shrubs. Help customers find what they were looking for.I gained knowledge of new plants and flowers. My co-workers and I would all rotate on cash to all have a chance at everything. The hardest part of my job was moving the crates of sand to the front store from the Garden centre. I most enjoyed working with my co-workers and working in the sun.
Pros
could take a break when i needed one
Cons
working in the rain
Fun
Food Preparer/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2012
I enjoyed working at this esyablishment, the staff we kind and very helpful during the training process. I learnt how to make many dishes that I still use today. My co-workers were great, as well as management.