Independent Grocer Employee Reviews

Very productive and fun to work at.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON9 May 2017
I really enjoyed working at Independent Grocer you are never bored since there are always things you can do. The staff and co-workers are a lot of fun with good personalities and sense of humour. Good customer interactions and a great learning experience.
Pros
Always something to do so never bored
Cons
Low hours and no benefits
it was a great to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON5 May 2017
I would go into work at 8 am to open the Deli , do the reduction for the day also do the Temps of the bunkers and fill the log books for the day,serve customers , and if there was catering trays to do I would do then ( sandwich and cheese tray etc. cut the cheeses and wrap and price it and but in the bunkers, also clean a lot ... I learn a lot of different thing enjoy my job very much, my fellow co-worker we all work as a team got long very will... On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday was our order day we would unloaded the pallet and but the order away or out in the bunkers and make sure the bunker were always full with product,, I had a very manager and the store owner was very nice also, the most enjoyable part of my job was the customer and my co-worker
Fun place, poor management.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT6 April 2017
Independent is a great place to work if you are considering an entry level job. There is opportunities for growth. However, Management can tend to be skeptical and care to only think about themselves.
Pros
Good, friendly environment.
Cons
Job enlargement
independent
Meat Department Clerk (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON29 March 2017
Decent place to work if you're only looking for a few hours a week, minimum wage pay and pretty dead throughout the day. The management is sub par and the owner does not really care for the employees. Ex, no raises.
Meh
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC22 March 2017
Part-timers should avoid this, in my opinion.

In order to be eligible for benefits you need to have been with the company for 2 years and it's hard to advance from part-time to full-time or to switch your job, for example from Bakery to Deli.
Pros
Requested Time off is easy to do and almost always is accepted
Cons
Everything else
had proper training, safety first, on going training
Clerk (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON16 March 2017
fine amount of product to run, what problems last shift had, have repairs to machines done, knowing how line runs helps, management tired to find way to help to get line running , mixed group of people many hours standing and walking from one end to the other, the line would run well, and the crew would have record runs.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
machines or bad materials to work with
productive work enviroment
Shelf Stocker (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON6 March 2017
Working here was a challenge for me cause it was a fast paced environment and I wasn't use to it but later on I got used to it and loved the job . Would love to work there again
Fun & Friendly place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 January 2017
I love working there, all the other staff are very kind and definitely provide a fun working environment, and i feel like i fit in.
I actually have alot to say
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON29 December 2016
Its probably the worse job place I worked at. Management is suppose to lead My Manger gets paid more yes but work ethic is Suppose to lead am I right. which to me if not should work harder show your employee. well mine on her brake get me a spoon. What kinda management was that know me I just kept my mouth shut and of course got the spoon. I got called dopey yes they said what are you dopey or something. I went to My Manager once only one time with a complaint. And they said you know I can never keep you happy. I have never felt so unhappy or felt like im not good enough till I worked here
Well as of Tuesday December 20th 2016 I gave notice yes it was short notice but it was notice and they play the game today for my final pay December 29, 2016 that they were just finding out about this know so you will have to wait longer but I told My Manager so know I have to wait longer for my pay it should be taken out of My Managers pay it was not my mistake but theirs am I right
Productive and nice people to work with
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 December 2016
Independent Grocer was a nice place to work for. They had staff there that you had any problems you can go to them for help.
Fun workplace
Deli worker (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON26 November 2016
Learned how to efficiently multi task .
Some co workers were great
Manager was the best
Learned boundaries and how to follow rules
Learned how to serve customers , make chicken and wedges and package food
Pros
Experience
Cons
Cold
Positive Environment
Shelve Stalker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON18 November 2016
I enjoyed my time there. The staff were friendly. There was on going training. Not only that it was paid training as well. I would recommend applying there.
Pros
Friendly Environment always felt welcomed
Cons
long hours especially holidays
Great work place. Good management.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB1 October 2016
Worked hard. happy employment always made me want to go back to work every day. Great work environment . Management were very nice and handled situations really. Great when i or staff needed help. I defiantly recommend working there if i lived in edson
Night crew (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON23 September 2016
Relaxed environment where results and the completion of your job are the only thing that were important. Decent compensation for the job at hand.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
odd working hours
good experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 September 2016
training was fun, Management was Awesome, i Loved talking and helping Senior citizens customers, it was interesting to learn about the new fruits/veggies imported from the different cultures needed to accommodate the new refugees/immigrants, the co-workers were helpful high turn around of employees, the owner/hr hire alot of these new immigrants/refugees. my job was a cashier, i scanned groceries, assisted customers,helped seniors count their coins, explained items on receipt or showed customers the coupons to assure them they received all their discounts. asked method of payment, sold bags, asked if bagging assistance was needed, completed transaction,thanked the customer for shopping at Independent grocers. kept till area clean, disinfected. the hardest part of the job was learning the names of imported produce, identifying these items when scanning, communicated with the new Canadians accents, broken English. I loved working with money and talking to my customers, especially the lonely seniors.
Pros
knowing whats on sale, sometimes pizza/cake Owner provided
Cons
keeping up to date with new produced imported, leaving on time.
Nice and understanding colleagues
Salad Bar Assistant (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON25 August 2016
A typical day at work is preparing salad,make sure shelves are full all time. I'v learned alot to how to prepare high qualities of salad.Our produce manager is awesome always looking after us. We're very well taken care of by our produce manager.

Pros
The most enjoyable of the job is colleagues are really nice and work togethe
Cons
The hardest part of the job is i'm standing at the most chilling corner of the work area.
Good Hours
Customer Service / Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 June 2016
You can work as much as you want at independant grocer just like a full time or part time permanant. I had lots of fun working there.
Good first job, Owners are quite rude
CAO, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 May 2016
This job is a good place to start your first part time work as a student. Most of the employees, especially in the cash department, are quite young. Owners are extremely rude though.
Filling tables and organizing product storage
Customer Service / Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2016
Working at Independent is as a part time employee is a great way to get some work experience because they have flexible hours available.
Good co workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockland, ON12 April 2016
The co workers were very nice very calm and very funny. it was a good job for high school, Not a good chance for a raise or advancement in pay unless in minimum goes up. Good starter job