Independent Grocer Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC1 November 2018
Loved the working atmosphere of how fun and fast paced it was. I learnt a lot from my manager and team and was sad to see it close as i wanted to grow within that company
Consistent Work
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB13 October 2018
Enjoyed the job; learned new tasks, great responsibility, good people to work with. Full Time employment but now benefits. The work culture was good.
Cons
Wage too low
cashier
Cashier (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 October 2018
i work as a cashier and put groceries in bags and clean the till and put baskets away and put candy in the front and talk to customers and smile and nice
Pros
working with good people
Cons
standing on my feet
great working environment
Part time cashier (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT3 October 2018
Great working environment.Diversity in all levels are practiced.Any race or ethnic is allowed to work in this store location.The manager/owner is approachable always
Pros
approachable owner/manager
Cons
some people are taking granted
Low pay, easy job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ON21 September 2018
Should pay employees more and reward good employees. Too much penny pinching, respect workers more...it is hard to find good workers, be appreciative. Don't treat your employees like they are disposable.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
pay low, expectations high
Great Starter Job
DELI CLERK/SALAD BAR CLERK (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2018
It's a great place for young persons or anyone new to job experiences, also a great place to build relationships with people in the industry. Very little chance of advancing into a career and would not recommend doing so.
Pros
Flexible hours, easy first job
Cons
No advancment, minimun wage
A good place to work part time.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON29 August 2018
It was a good place to work however many students and new employees worked there which can lead too many mistakes taking place. The store closes at 9pm during the week which is great for student employees.
Pros
The part time hours were not to long.
Cons
To many employees working at one time
Awesome
Full time employment (Current Employee) –  Haliburton, ON20 August 2018
Could have never asked for such an amazing family. Only wish that others that come to work here find the enjoyment that I have on my team.

Management was on point with their explanation and training.
Pros
Perfect co-operation
Cons
Lazy kids
very nice working enviroment
Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Squamish, BC16 August 2018
grave yard shifts are very quite everyone does there own work and works well as team. management usually goes aboe and beyond for there staff its nice to feel appricated.
Pros
you work independently, pay is really good.
Cons
no benefits for part time
Flexible hours
Customer Assistant, Register operator (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 August 2018
I enjoy working here but I am looking for something a little different in a faster paced environment that has a better benefit package even if it’s a discount in the employment
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits
Very kind loyal customers frequently
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON13 August 2018
Overall, customers can be amazing. Staff is hard on employees. Owner is amazing though. Most managers are rude to their employees and take them for granted.
Amazing work environment, customer service skills improved and explored.
Cashier/Customer Service/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manotick, ON7 August 2018
Customer service during my two years at this location was a phenomenal experience as I created friendships with the customers and amongst my co-workers. I explored my customer service skills and exceeded my expectations. I would be trusted with lottery and cigarettes as well as helping other cashiers with incorrect prices, and issues with the computer systems. During my time there I excelled all expectations and took the duties of the job seriously and was training for new customer service employees. The hardest part of my job was not being able to explore opportunities of becoming supervisor and taking on more responsibility.
Pros
Customer-to-employee relationships, co-workers friendly, managers understanding of school and obligations outside of work
Cons
short hours, not given opportunity to advance in that specific job
Inconsiderate
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB7 July 2018
When i worked here I struggled with knowing what to do as they had barely any training, the management were over strict with enforcement of no communication between workers.
Pros
None to mention
Cons
Lack of communication
not the best
Grocery Cashier (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC21 June 2018
the management was not the best. everyone was very clicky. not a huge fan of the job itself. was not my favourite place to be. would not recommend as a place to work.
Learning how to work at a fast pace, picking up customers service skills
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 June 2018
After working at an Independent Grocer, I felt that I work at a faster pace serving customers, as well as gaining the experience of working in retail and picking up customer service skills.
Pros
Closer to home
Cons
Not getting enough hours to work
bad vibes work place with terrible enviorment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON11 June 2018
Did not work well with school/sports schedule
Managers were always grumpy
not allowed to have water or any kind of drink at your till
Standing for very long periods of time
Pros
benifits
Cons
no water at till
Food prep/service
Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON6 June 2018
Like most grocery stores, this workplace is not the most enjoyable. The owner is not very employee friendly, meaning he did not credit of congratulate most people who worked very hard for him. This made the environment very hostile and stressful. On the other hand, my manager and co-workers were amazing, it made the workplace more enjoyable and jovial.
it has very energetic environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 June 2018
its a best place to work and all the employees are very supportive. management of this store is excellent they are interested in giving the best customer service. also they understand their employees and give them a chance for suggestions.
Pros
you never gets tired
Cons
less hours
Fun work environment, pretty well managed, very flexible with hours.
Bakery Clerk/ baker/ cake decorator (Former Employee) –  Embrun, ON12 April 2018
I enjoyed working at the independent. I worked in two departments which both had great management. Upper management tends to micro manage. I liked the flexibility with hours because of school.
Well-structured, unionized
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC2 April 2018
Really well-structured work environment. Everything is done textbook, so you know what everyones expectations of you are. The grocery is unionized so all breaks are mandatory.
Pros
Reliable hours
Cons
Mandatory breaks