Independent Grocer Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

I worked with great guys. But the supervisor was insulting from day 1. The Manager gave off a I do not care about the night crew vibe and speech.
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 March 2019
My brief time of 3 months which felt longer.

The people I worked with were all great guys. Even the supervisor who talked down to me and insulted me daily was a decent person. But I was insulted by said person each time I had the distinct displeasure to work with him. Did I enjoy the work yes, did I enjoy the people i worked with yes, did I learn things yes. Does not excuse how I was treated though.

Snapping point was when I was refused a shift swap after getting someone who would swap shifts with me. I hadn't slept in 3 days, he refused flat out. Well I didn't sleep again(shocker), showed up, got insulted and walked out at his direction.(and to avoid hitting a guy half my size and getting charged) I slept 30 hours after that.

But that is just my personal experience with 1 store and 1 man.
Pros
no pros
Cons
worked 1-2 extra hours daily to set up the store for the morning, no overtime pay, no compensation.
Great Starter Job
DELI CLERK/SALAD BAR CLERK (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2018
It's a great place for young persons or anyone new to job experiences, also a great place to build relationships with people in the industry. Very little chance of advancing into a career and would not recommend doing so.
Pros
Flexible hours, easy first job
Cons
No advancment, minimun wage
Learning how to work at a fast pace, picking up customers service skills
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 June 2018
After working at an Independent Grocer, I felt that I work at a faster pace serving customers, as well as gaining the experience of working in retail and picking up customer service skills.
Pros
Closer to home
Cons
Not getting enough hours to work
it has very energetic environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 June 2018
its a best place to work and all the employees are very supportive. management of this store is excellent they are interested in giving the best customer service. also they understand their employees and give them a chance for suggestions.
Pros
you never gets tired
Cons
less hours
It had a good atmosphere and decent hours
HMR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 December 2017
Overall I enjoyed working at Working at Independent my manager was a good person and all my coworkers where great people and it had a great atmosphere altogether.
En générale c'est un travaille bien localisé avec des options pour tous
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 December 2017
Une journée typique de travaille à independent est je rentre vers 3:30 (je commence a 4:00) mais je commence plutôt toujours avant chaque jours peut-être différent mais generalement remplis de break out et fermeture de la boulangerie,il y a aussi le ménage et plusieurs autres critères
My co workers were some of the best, my supervisor and the management were among some of the worst.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2017
My co-workers were some of the best. They helped me in any way I needed, they showed me the ropes, they pushed you in a good way to success.

My supervisor and the manager were a different story entirely. that I will not go into.
Pros
good people, good work
Cons
long hours, always stayed late to finish, terrible boss
One shift a week
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 September 2017
I only work 1 shift a week at the current time so my input for this not valuable in any meaningful way. I'm sorry but I do not think I am able to help much in this instance.
Good Hours
Customer Service / Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 June 2016
You can work as much as you want at independant grocer just like a full time or part time permanant. I had lots of fun working there.
Good first job, Owners are quite rude
CAO, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 May 2016
This job is a good place to start your first part time work as a student. Most of the employees, especially in the cash department, are quite young. Owners are extremely rude though.
Filling tables and organizing product storage
Customer Service / Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2016
Working at Independent is as a part time employee is a great way to get some work experience because they have flexible hours available.
It is hard not to laugh at a serious question.
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 March 2015
I learned that there are sometimes "stupid" questions but you have to take them seriously to provide the best costumer service.
A typical day involved some banter with the butchers, a casual threat here or there, followed by the sounds of a hearty laugh.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
no advancement
an okay workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 April 2014
a typical day at work was going to my cash and usually being taken off by my boss, when i got taken off i would be helping other cashiers.
Cons
not enough hours
Pretty good place to work at.
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2014
One must keep in mind that I only worked as a night crew member, so when I rate things like benefits and Work/Life balance, keep that in mind.
Typical night was getting product, sorting it out, organizing it, putting it up on the shelves and facing the aisles.
Learned a bit more about the types of products a grocery store has and how they organize them.
Fine. Everything generally went smoothly.
A fun bunch, but not for the faint of heart. Definitely hard workers who didn't take any nonsense.
When a truck arrived late or we had a huge order and had to scramble to get everything done on time.
The banter between coworkers.
Fun
Food Preparer/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2012
I enjoyed working at this esyablishment, the staff we kind and very helpful during the training process. I learnt how to make many dishes that I still use today. My co-workers were great, as well as management.