Independent Grocer Employee Reviews

Very nice
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 June 2019
They are very happy work place always having fun doing stuff people are so reliable when it comes to helping customer and each other too they know how to have fun and when to be serious at work but overall nice place to work at.
Awful
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON7 June 2019
Management directly created dangerous situation then placed me (the employee) in said situation where I inevitably had store equipment fall and break a bone in my foot permanently damaging it. When returning to work after just 3 weeks for fear of losing my employment I was released less then a week later without cause or compensation while being treated as though I had fabricated the injury.
Pros
Cons
Terrible environment
Amazing, and fun workplace, loved my fellow coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sechelt, BC30 April 2019
I felt included in everything right away. Great place for first starting jobs. Great pay for my first job. Nice people and customers. Fun lunch hours, and close to a mall.
Pros
Great people
difficult
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON29 April 2019
this was a difficult place to work the hours where little to none and being paid what felt like below minimum wage some staff were ignorant or just acted like they didn't care
Productive and Easygoing Workplace
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON4 April 2019
Busy in the summer. But still a fairly easy job. On occasion, customers will be rude — which is expected in any job. The management has handled any issue I’ve had very well, and is always available to talk about your concerns.
Pros
Great Management, Easygoing, Kind Boss
Cons
Unreliable Coworkers
I worked with great guys. But the supervisor was insulting from day 1. The Manager gave off a I do not care about the night crew vibe and speech.
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 March 2019
My brief time of 3 months which felt longer.

The people I worked with were all great guys. Even the supervisor who talked down to me and insulted me daily was a decent person. But I was insulted by said person each time I had the distinct displeasure to work with him. Did I enjoy the work yes, did I enjoy the people i worked with yes, did I learn things yes. Does not excuse how I was treated though.

Snapping point was when I was refused a shift swap after getting someone who would swap shifts with me. I hadn't slept in 3 days, he refused flat out. Well I didn't sleep again(shocker), showed up, got insulted and walked out at his direction.(and to avoid hitting a guy half my size and getting charged) I slept 30 hours after that.

But that is just my personal experience with 1 store and 1 man.
Pros
no pros
Cons
worked 1-2 extra hours daily to set up the store for the morning, no overtime pay, no compensation.
Thank GOD this place went under.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC4 March 2019
The good things about this place: It taught me how to be emotionally resilient, it gave me my first job experience, and it gave me some pocket change to spend. My department manager was pretty cool too.

The bad things:

- Store owner was a corrupt thug
- Union benefits practically useless
- Workplace community was toxic and unfriendly
- Place got robbed every other day
- Job security practically non-existent.

Thank GOD the store went under!
Pros
None.
Cons
All of them.
great place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hanover, ON3 March 2019
great owners/ management
well balanced with time off and time working
everyone works well together
easy to get along with everyone there
they work well to work around your schedule
Pros
adjusts well around schedule
Cons
minimum wage/ no benefits
I enjoyed working at Independent grocer but....
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB28 January 2019
I was going through a harsh time and had to spend a lot of hours at the hospital with my significant other, the manager was very non understanding of this. I also asked about where the muster points were located and never got an answer, from coworkers or management.
Productive and Educating
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC13 January 2019
Moved pallets around the store and stocking shelves is a easy to manage for a student. Workplace accommodating to work with scheduling and hours were good
Review Summary
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Gibsons, BC10 December 2018
This my review of this company. There are many like it but this one is mine. Through no fault of the enrichment centre you have found yourself in this
Pros
Exists
Cons
Exists
Fun workplace, good staff
Front End/Customer Service supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockland, ON27 November 2018
It was a great workplace, had to leave due to college education! Overall at the beginning I was trying hard to enjoy being there but as time went on and things got easier I felt as if everything was just falling into place. Especially whenever I was promoted to supervisor I had a blast in the working environment.
Pros
great hours
Cons
short breaks
fun place to work
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC1 November 2018
Loved the working atmosphere of how fun and fast paced it was. I learnt a lot from my manager and team and was sad to see it close as i wanted to grow within that company
Consistent Work
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB13 October 2018
Enjoyed the job; learned new tasks, great responsibility, good people to work with. Full Time employment but now benefits. The work culture was good.
Cons
Wage too low
cashier
Cashier (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 October 2018
i work as a cashier and put groceries in bags and clean the till and put baskets away and put candy in the front and talk to customers and smile and nice
Pros
working with good people
Cons
standing on my feet
great working environment
Part time cashier (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT3 October 2018
Great working environment.Diversity in all levels are practiced.Any race or ethnic is allowed to work in this store location.The manager/owner is approachable always
Pros
approachable owner/manager
Cons
some people are taking granted
Low pay, easy job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ON21 September 2018
Should pay employees more and reward good employees. Too much penny pinching, respect workers more...it is hard to find good workers, be appreciative. Don't treat your employees like they are disposable.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
pay low, expectations high
Great Starter Job
DELI CLERK/SALAD BAR CLERK (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2018
It's a great place for young persons or anyone new to job experiences, also a great place to build relationships with people in the industry. Very little chance of advancing into a career and would not recommend doing so.
Pros
Flexible hours, easy first job
Cons
No advancment, minimun wage
A good place to work part time.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON29 August 2018
It was a good place to work however many students and new employees worked there which can lead too many mistakes taking place. The store closes at 9pm during the week which is great for student employees.
Pros
The part time hours were not to long.
Cons
To many employees working at one time
Awesome
Full time employment (Current Employee) –  Haliburton, ON20 August 2018
Could have never asked for such an amazing family. Only wish that others that come to work here find the enjoyment that I have on my team.

Management was on point with their explanation and training.
Pros
Perfect co-operation
Cons
Lazy kids