Imperial Oil

Imperial Oil Employee Reviews

Canada280 reviews
Good
Good, exciting work work with opportunities for career advancement. Great opportunities for training and development. Opportunities to move roles within the company.
This was a contract postition I hoped would turn into permanent
I learned many new skills while working for Imperial Oil. The staff were friendly and helpful. Once I worked there for a while I was told to not get my hopes up of ever becoming an employee. I was disheartened, but determined to get hired on full time. Due to the economic climate and hard times in the Oil and Gas Industry, there were major cutbacks to every department at the end of my employment there, as I was on contract I was laid off and my duties were distributed to three full time employees.

I truly did enjoy my time there and wish them all the best.
High Expectations
Like to use contractors - several good ones who never get hired or takes a very long time to get hired. I learned lots & enjoyed the job most of the time.
Good salary
The sacrifice work-life balance can be worth it for the compensation. There are good opportunities for those who want to climb the corporate ladder...
Excellent Project team
Work with a group of amazing individuals and was a great team effort. The leadership team was very supportive. All groups worked well together, very collaborative environment.
Office Staff
Great team Environment.
Safety is high priority.

Working together to establish a fun culture.

Management worked hard to connect with staff.

IT staff very helpful.
Interesting work lack of management support
Have to stay ahead of your work, and that all paper work is completed and document everything. Follow all procedures and safety is the highest policy.
You have to work hard to get anywhere
Operations and construction are at conflict. Not enough communication between operations and construction. Detailed job scope on some projects not detailed enough!
Pros
Overall it is a good place to work
Cons
Age discrimination
Extremely productive workplace
Great place to work if you're looking for a lot of responsibility and a large workload. High expectations of workers, with less focus on a social or fun work environment.
All employees are not considered equals
Subcontractors representing Imperial Oil are treated as third class citizens. Rooms in camp are not cleaned while your are on site. Brooms or vacuums are not existent if you want to clean your own room.
Excellent place for employees at all stages of their career
Plenty of knowledge and resources available to employees at all experience levels. Lots of opportunity to grow and develop professionally. Heavily involved with community. High regard for safety and ensuring that everyone goes home the way they came to work.
Productive workplace with high enthusiastic individuals
This was a wholesome experience where i was exposed to many different professional and social settings. Coworkers were personable, fun, and knowledgeable so much collaboration took place.
productive place, fast based
it is hard to get in if you do not know some one inside,it is more like who you know, not what you know unfortunately, do you home work before you go to the interview. don't rise your hope up.
High volume high production
Fellow workers were great, unfortually my area was super busy with little support which caused a lot of stress for me. That's the only reason I left, but do miss it there. My day incorporated doing work orders, coordinating maintenance work on all mining equipment, making sure personal were available when needed, working with outside contracts for off site repairs, and ensuring they were done correctly which meant off site visits. Ensuring warranty standards, and documentations were kept on top off. The culture was one of strict safety. Hardest part of my job was keeping up with everything. I had to work 14 hr days to stay on top, so after a ten day cycle, I was beat out. Most enjoyable, that would be again the people and experience I gained. Had some good times for sure.
Great Place
I worked a 4 month summer Co-op in the laboratory. Everyone was great in the on boarding process.Made sure you knew what you were doing before you started anything. Safety first mentality. Gained meaningful experience and knowledge. Great people working there.
Pros
Pay, hours
Cons
Not the most Environmentally friendly company
Best safety culture and rewarding experiences
Safety culture at Imperial Oil is amazing and the collaboration here is the best. You will have challenging and rewarding assignments with many opportunities for cross company assignments with global ExxonMobil affiliates.
Fast paced and challenging work
It is a fast paced environment which is provides a challenging and fulfilling career as a Process Technician. The OM&S area has given provided me many skills to attribute to my career.
Challenging job without a training.
During my first interview beginning of December 2018, I was waiting till middle of January to get a notification that they hired me with the intention of a long term job. I learned the whole system on my own as well as I introduced a new process including a new system to eas the whole process. As I become more confident with this job they laid me off, as they merging two jobs into one to save money.
Highly recommend. 10 days on 10 days off fly in fly out. camp life a Wapasu a requirement, Environmental hazards are present in various degrees depending upon what area one is required to work in.
Great place to work.
The majority of the co-workers are amazing and frienship bonds are made for life. Some others are competitive and will try to make you look bad in other for them to advance. Too many department being transfered to other country. So you are not sure about your job security. But all in all, it's a pretty good place to work.
great
Excelent work place safety in number one great wages and very good benefits