Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Happiness score is 70 out of 100

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Employee Reviews

Canada48 reviews

workinggreatjobworkmanagementteamexperienceplace

Good work-life balance, but politics behind closed doors

Great internal team members. Hard work was rarely recognized sadly, and in order to move up in your position, you'd need an in with your manager's manager's manager, which was incredibly difficult given the amount of meetings people need to attend. In terms of personal growth, they did encourage education and provided time to study/work on what you're interested a couple hours per week. Work-life balance was respected, which is great. Benefits were also really good, as expected of a public sector role, but salary lags far, far, far behind inflation and in the competitive market outside.

Pros

work-life balance

Cons

difficult to get promoted

Stable environment, advancement difficult

Nice ambiance to work in, but difficult to progress one’s career outside of the NCR. Management bends the rules when they went to cherry pick appointing someone in a position. If you work hard and prove yourself you’ll do well.

Insights into Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

Environnement de travail

Environnement très chaleureux et convivial. Tous les personnels sont constamment à l’écoute et travaillent toujours en équipe.

Busy job

Busy job makes the time fly. Always new learning. Friendly staff, easy access to supervisors, everyone helps everyone. Nightly meetings to speak about any issues. Things can change fast.

Pros

Night shift

Cons

Parkimg

Respectful workplace. Positive feedback. A good worker is left to do what they well know how to do.

I am so thankful every day for the opportunity to have had a career at IRCC ( formerly CIC). I am an excellent worker and was able to work as independently as I wished to do, the overall atmosphere was collegial and helpful. It is a wonderful place to work!

Really great place to work with amazing managers

If you’re considering working with the Government of Canada I would start here. Incredible teamwork, well structured training, and effective management that allows efficiency.

Pros

Training, good management

Toxic and Polluted Working Environment

A clique working culture that is overrepresented, and largely controlled by, women. Advancement to supervisor/managerial positions appears based on popularity regardless of experience and/or education. Most senior managers appear unable or unwilling to communicate effectively to staff. A toxic and polluted working environment that sucks everything positive and vocationally advantageous out of you. I would not recommend working for this department.

Pros

Salary, Benefits.

Cons

Lack of Leadership, Incompetent Management, Toxic Working Environment

Great place to work at

I enjoyed My job I did different jobs .as long as you do your job you will be fine..there are many areas that they will train to for. That's what I liked

Pros

Pot luck was aloud before the virus

Cons

2 shifts

Toxic workplace

Have worked there for almost 2 years, and feel so lucky to leave there.The management team poor leadership, there evaluate employees' e not based on their work performance, but on the relationship with the directors or top managements. HR department didn't do their job at all to solve the problems or improve the working conditions.This the worst workplace I have been in in my past 15 working experience.

Pros

good pay

Cons

Toxic environment

You are truly just a statistic here

I have been working at the client support centre (call centre) for nearly a year now and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. While the program itself is interesting, it quickly becomes redundant and it's clear that the only important thing to management are statistics. The schedule is closely monitored, everything is set to the very minute and there is little to no flexibility on any of it. Supervisors and managers forget that they started on the phone and treat us like children. This job sucks the soul out of you. If you're one of those people who need micromanagement and love talking all day, maybe it's for you.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Everything else

good

this is a good experience and place to work at, you can gain a lot of experience in a very short time. this is a good experience and place to work at.

Laid back, casual employment with potential

The most enjoyable part of this job was how I had a schedule. I had a set number of days and hours to work each week and that schedule never changed.

Great place to work. Your experience will depend on the team you are on.

Great place to work. Your experience will depend on the team you are on. There is a chance you will have boring days depending on your position. There can be a lot of useless meetings sometimes.

Comprehensive, but some of the questions are not relaxant .

Since I have been working at IRB as a contracted interpreter starting about 18 years ago, I have learned a lot through this works as well as professional development sessions in terms of interpretation skills, code of conducts for the interpreters, new terminologies, etc. It provides me an great opportunity to train myself from earlier being very stressful to later feeling relaxed. I have developed a Lot !lot

Strong employer

One of my favourite federal departments to work for. It was a busy and high-production work environment but the management team still cares about your health and wellbeing.

Great government department

Provided me with a great start to a career with great opportunities. Worked with great teams throughout my experience at IRCC. The culture was relaxed and supportive.

A great job but management is terrible

A rewarding place to work. Great work life balance. Great co-workers. Great training. The director berates you and will rip into you in front of everyone on a national video conference for the smallest things. You can't tell when he is joking or being serious. Doesn't matter how good you are at your job, at the end of the day they make you compete for it with ridiculous unrelated competitions which are skewed.

Toxic culture within branch

I am sure my negative experience with IRCC was due to the working environment i was involved in. Micromanaged on a daily basis and a toxic atmosphere that made working there a horrible experience.

Data entry in fast paced enviroment

Data entry of PRC applications in fast paced style environment. Predetermined KPI's that were obtainable. Coworkers and team leads were very friendly. Mostly casual positions so not great for long term , and mostly 4pm-12am.

An enjoyable work environment

I thoroughly enjoyed working at IRCC as it has a lot of different work tasks. The people there were enjoyable to work with and management is kind and helpful.

Great job to study at the same time.

I really enjoyed my time at IRCC. It allowed me to study and work at the same time and pay my school tuition. The main thing I would say is that there is a lot of red tape.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement