ILSC Education Group

ILSC Education Group Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
Clean, bright environment and professional and courteous Staff
The experience was very well organised and efficient, someone was there to answer all my questions and even though the hours are very few, that was clearly explained in advance. The culture is very relaxed, and a nice location.
An Amazing Experience
While it was stressful with dealing with a few of the children, the ILSC Junior camp provided me with an amazing experience. I was able to wor with staff from all different walks of life while enjoying fast-paced, lively activities each evening. Excellent environment and definitely a fun position!
Ridiculously managed. Bad senior teachers.
My experience at ILSC was nothing short of horrifying. Shortly after I was hired, I was asked to come in to substitute for one of their senior teachers. I came into the classroom with a copy of my University degrees and qualifications which I had put on the teacher's desk.
I had to leave the classroom for a moment to get a copy of the lesson plan that I had not received beforehand. When I came back into the classroom, I was horrified to find that my qualifications were missing and were placed into the garbage by the teacher whose class I was substituting for!

To this day I cannot forget this experience. It made me want to leave everything and go home, but I kept my composure and told the academic director about what had happened. I did not get an apology from anyone. During the interview, I was told that I would get regular classes, however, I got one class in April to May. In June and July which is typically their busiest time, I had absolutely no classes whatsoever. In August, I was given a class and after that was put on unemployment.

I learned my lesson the hard way: do not ever work for this school again! Policies are heinous. How can one accrue 405 hours before becoming a permanent teacher when they barely give you 3 hours a day worth of classes?? No, no, no, no, no!! Please stay away and look at other options where you can use your skills and experiences because if you stay here, I promise you will be tossed out like a piece of trash! Your stay here will be shorter than Toronto's summers. Good luck! You have been warned!
Open and positive environment
The school is very organized using great material and provides amazing access to extra material, textbooks and educational games.

A typical day includes saying hello to colleagues in the teachers lounge and then preparing for your class. The school's facilities include several printers, photocopiers and paper cutters.

Everyone is mindful of everyone else's time management and class prep and thus there is no negative energy nor is it a competitive environment.
Pros
Easy going management
Cons
Wage
Decent workplace when the right managers are there
One of the better organized language schools in Montreal. Located in a fantastic location (Old Montreal -the Old Port), They do decent student assessments, and have good equipment and material to support your teaching. Large teacher's room / lunchroom and a good resource centre. The majority of the other teachers are decent people, with the exception of a small gang from the same cultural background who band together and can make your life miserable if they don't like you. There is a small f/t teacher core that never changes, so you will be a sub there pretty much forever, as once the busy summer months are over, you'll be kicked to the curb for lack of student enrollment. Not a great deal of take-home work and prep, which is a bonus. Some potential for promotion into other areas of the school. Lots of school activities and a generally happy environment; they really try to entertain the students and organize events involving both teachers and their Ss.

Top management was fantastic, but a particular teacher who temporarily took over the program director position was an ambitious, back-stabbing and game-playing person who made many job-related mistakes and would blame the teachers for her oversights and errors. She's not there anymore, so probably the workplace has become calm and stress-free again.
Pros
Good location, good class sizes, little take-home work
Cons
Diffcult to become full-time
un lugar hermoso
Lugar donde aprendes idiomas; un centro de idiomas especializado con profesores en materia provenientes del país de habla.
Orientation
I am monitors students to speak only English language inside the school, oriented about the polices and procedures os the school and oriented abour or the importance of the speak only English in the school.
Crazy/ Dysfunctional
Director is a narcissist who pits workers against each other by spreading lies/gossip. The place won't improve until they get rid of her and the management who do the same to keep their jobs. The instructors who stay there wouldn't be hired anywhere else. Whether you're a student or looking for a job, avoid this place it's a horrible, horrible place.
Cons
Backstabbing, Scape-goating, lies, lies and more lies
a poor place to work for
I used to be IELTS invigilator there. They called me in when they were short of staff.

They never provided proper tools for the invigilators, eg. poor-quality pencil-sharpener, etc. despite continuous complaints. They also paid less than they should by calculating wrong working hours. When you sent emails to check they simply ignored. That's why they keep on recruiting new staff because they couldn't keep the team!

Their management of IELTS is also problematic. Candidates could never find them on phone. Theyaslo arrange the speaking and written tests of IELTS at different locations, and many candidates missed the test because of that.
A waste of time
If you want to be hired when they need you in the summer and be kicked out after a couple of months, this is the best place to work for! They only treat you well when they need teachers. At the beginning, they are promising and nice. But when they see the number of students are going down, they treat you in a way that you yourself leave the place! They don’t even care you have a credit card to be paid at the end of the month! They do your observation with a lot of preplanned negative comments to accuse you. Needless to say that their other teachers on the seniority don’t even feel like moving in the class!!! They don’t deserve your hard work.
Cons
No job security
Lousy workplace very authoritarian.
Very rude and authoritarian supervisors. Do not waste your time nor life working at this school. Move on and find a better workplace that is not toxic.
Work day
I would start early at 7am and finish around 5pm. Many times I would take work home on the weekends.

Management would not be always supportive, but the staff are amazing.

To much work for individuals
Pros
New Office
Mickey Mouse Operation
ILSC is unstructured and disorganized. Management does not listen to the insight of its employee and as such their is no mitigation of catastrophes. Students are provided with poor customer service and most staff are unhappy.
Pros
Some team members are really nice to work with
Cons
Disorganized, poor planning/execution of major tasks, low salary
Great place to work!
The company continues to evolve as one of the best language and career training centers. People joining at this stage will be impressed by the dynamic teamwork and opportunities for growth.
Pros
unique multi cultural environment
Great Company to Work For
Diverse team to work with
Global work environment

Fun people/work environment

Lots of opportunity for growth for those who are ambitious and passionate about the industry/company
Marketing
Very poor higher management
Not allowed to speak up for yourself or have an opinion.

You are kept in dark about everything.

Extremely toxic environment.

Management is all about their egos.

They are bottom feeders and learn everything from competitors
Pros
Good for entry level positions
Empresa agradável
Esse "trabalho" foi durante meu intercambio a Vancouver, lá eu trabalhava como Tour Guide duas vezes por semana mostrando o campus da escola e os arredores a novos alunos.
One of the better language schools in Toronto to work for
ILSC is a great place to work at both part-time and full-time. The school has been continuously growing over the years and they are always hiring new teachers.
Great to start but not to stay
Will let you start with not much experience but salary is low and growth opportunities very limited. Main complaint from employees across the organization.
Friendly and positive atmosphere, a lot of communication. I worked there as a co-op student for no salary at all. And its a nice place and i wished i stay there longer as a full time worker. A lot of fun, new people, events, etc. No stress and not a lot of work, except july.
Fun multicultural workplace
Academic Director are in charge of managing the teaching staff, but also all of our students. Our students come from all over the world and we often sit down with them to assess their needs, help them or guide them throughout their studies. The staff is young and very dynamic, which creates an amazing workplace!
Every day is different, we meet new people (from potential students to agents), we stumble upon new challenges and we create a fun learning environment for our students. We also raise awareness to our students about different causes: recently we organized a fund raiser for the Women's cancer society, in the past we organized events to raise money for the Red Cross and Kiva. Working here is more than teaching a language, it is also about offering a transfomative experience!
Pros
Benefits paid 100% by the company
Cons
Low salary, not a lot of advancement possibilities
Ask a question about working or interviewing at ILSC Education Group. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9