ILSC Education Group
Happiness score is 70 out of 100

ILSC Education Group Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews

Great for occasional work

Working every Saturday for regular shifts is great but I’m not sure about on a daily basis. The work as an ielts examiner is steady, don’t have to think about more after going home

Fun job

Good job you work without pressure, the place is in downtown easy to go in mornings. The team always help you when you need it. The place is in downtown so is really easy arrive to work

Pros

Works your own schedule

Cons

Not offers

Insights into ILSC Education Group

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Educational and engaging work place with fantasyic students.

ILSC, though hit hard by border closures during the COVID19 pandemic, has survived and is gradually recovering its pre-pandemic student numbers. Though many of our wonderfully talented instructors lost employment during the pandemic, ILSC Vancouver continues to be a fantastic work environment with many brilliant colleagues and support staff.

Pros

Helping Wide Range of International Students Achieve Life Goals in Canada and Abroad

Cons

Benefits could be a bit better and additional hours are needed at the moment

Professional workplace

Recommend this employer. Supportive administrators and teachers. Comparatively good compensation. Students from all over the world, makes for interesting classroom discussions.

Union unintentionally created a monster

Merit accrues by seniority but management will do most anything to prevent you from moving up the next salary bracket. You're left to your own devices.

Cons

Students beaten down by lack of concern for their experience, esp. in summer

Friendly environment and very disciplined curriculum to follow

Aside from the salary which can always be more, the friendly atmosphere among teachers and directors is awesome.Working there gives me a sense of belonging. In case there were any issues, the union would support the teachers well.

Great Place to work

I have lots of fun memory of working at ILSCGreat culture with awesome coworkers. Lot of room to grow if you dedicate and show your passion. Miss working at ILSC

Pros

Good culture and cowoker

Cons

too much meetings

Buen ambiente de trabajo

Todos los compañeros siempre fueron muy amables, atentos y nos apoyabamos. Muy buen ambiente laboral.

Very nice place to work at

Friendly atmosphere and nice staff. If you work at ILSC Montreal, you get classes based on seniority, so it is tough at first. Once you are in, it is good! Salary increases every year- it is about the same you earn at any private language school. 20-25 dollars. If you've been there for over fifteen years, you might be looking at 30 dollars, I guess. The teachers are nice and so are the students.

Pros

Nobody bugs you as long as no one (the students) is complaining.

Cons

They don't pay prep time.

An Amazing Experience

While it was stressful with dealing with a few of the children, the ILSC Junior camp provided me with an amazing experience. I was able to wor with staff from all different walks of life while enjoying fast-paced, lively activities each evening. Excellent environment and definitely a fun position!

Ridiculously managed. Bad senior teachers.

My experience at ILSC was nothing short of horrifying. Shortly after I was hired, I was asked to come in to substitute for one of their senior teachers. I came into the classroom with a copy of my University degrees and qualifications which I had put on the teacher's desk. I had to leave the classroom for a moment to get a copy of the lesson plan that I had not received beforehand. When I came back into the classroom, I was horrified to find that my qualifications were missing and were placed into the garbage by the teacher whose class I was substituting for! To this day I cannot forget this experience. It made me want to leave everything and go home, but I kept my composure and told the academic director about what had happened. I did not get an apology from anyone. During the interview, I was told that I would get regular classes, however, I got one class in April to May. In June and July which is typically their busiest time, I had absolutely no classes whatsoever. In August, I was given a class and after that was put on unemployment. I learned my lesson the hard way: do not ever work for this school again! Policies are heinous. How can one accrue 405 hours before becoming a permanent teacher when they barely give you 3 hours a day worth of classes?? No, no, no, no, no!! Please stay away and look at other options where you can use your skills and experiences because if you stay here, I promise you will be tossed out like a piece of trash! Your stay here will be shorter than Toronto's summers. Good luck! You have been warned!

Clean, bright environment and professional and courteous Staff

The experience was very well organised and efficient, someone was there to answer all my questions and even though the hours are very few, that was clearly explained in advance. The culture is very relaxed, and a nice location.

Open and positive environment

The school is very organized using great material and provides amazing access to extra material, textbooks and educational games. A typical day includes saying hello to colleagues in the teachers lounge and then preparing for your class. The school's facilities include several printers, photocopiers and paper cutters. Everyone is mindful of everyone else's time management and class prep and thus there is no negative energy nor is it a competitive environment.

Pros

Easy going management

Cons

Wage

Decent workplace when the right managers are there

One of the better organized language schools in Montreal. Located in a fantastic location (Old Montreal -the Old Port), They do decent student assessments, and have good equipment and material to support your teaching. Large teacher's room / lunchroom and a good resource centre. The majority of the other teachers are decent people, with the exception of a small gang from the same cultural background who band together and can make your life miserable if they don't like you. There is a small f/t teacher core that never changes, so you will be a sub there pretty much forever, as once the busy summer months are over, you'll be kicked to the curb for lack of student enrollment. Not a great deal of take-home work and prep, which is a bonus. Some potential for promotion into other areas of the school. Lots of school activities and a generally happy environment; they really try to entertain the students and organize events involving both teachers and their Ss. Top management was fantastic, but a particular teacher who temporarily took over the program director position was an ambitious, back-stabbing and game-playing person who made many job-related mistakes and would blame the teachers for her oversights and errors. She's not there anymore, so probably the workplace has become calm and stress-free again.

Pros

Good location, good class sizes, little take-home work

Cons

Diffcult to become full-time

un lugar hermoso

Lugar donde aprendes idiomas; un centro de idiomas especializado con profesores en materia provenientes del país de habla.

Orientation

I am monitors students to speak only English language inside the school, oriented about the polices and procedures os the school and oriented abour or the importance of the speak only English in the school.

Crazy/ Dysfunctional

Director is a narcissist who pits workers against each other by spreading lies/gossip. The place won't improve until they get rid of her and the management who do the same to keep their jobs. The instructors who stay there wouldn't be hired anywhere else. Whether you're a student or looking for a job, avoid this place it's a horrible, horrible place.

Cons

Backstabbing, Scape-goating, lies, lies and more lies

a poor place to work for

I used to be IELTS invigilator there. They called me in when they were short of staff. They never provided proper tools for the invigilators, eg. poor-quality pencil-sharpener, etc. despite continuous complaints. They also paid less than they should by calculating wrong working hours. When you sent emails to check they simply ignored. That's why they keep on recruiting new staff because they couldn't keep the team! Their management of IELTS is also problematic. Candidates could never find them on phone. Theyaslo arrange the speaking and written tests of IELTS at different locations, and many candidates missed the test because of that.

A waste of time

If you want to be hired when they need you in the summer and be kicked out after a couple of months, this is the best place to work for! They only treat you well when they need teachers. At the beginning, they are promising and nice. But when they see the number of students are going down, they treat you in a way that you yourself leave the place! They don’t even care you have a credit card to be paid at the end of the month! They do your observation with a lot of preplanned negative comments to accuse you. Needless to say that their other teachers on the seniority don’t even feel like moving in the class!!! They don’t deserve your hard work.

Cons

No job security

Lousy workplace very authoritarian.

Very rude and authoritarian supervisors. Do not waste your time nor life working at this school. Move on and find a better workplace that is not toxic.

Work day

I would start early at 7am and finish around 5pm. Many times I would take work home on the weekends. Management would not be always supportive, but the staff are amazing. To much work for individuals

Pros

New Office

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ILSC Education Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement