Illumina Employee Reviews

Great Culture
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA24 April 2018
Illumina is full of incredibly smart people working on really cool and innovative projects that will advance the future of healthcare.

The facility is beautiful and frequently expanding.
Not what is Once was
Service Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston MA20 April 2018
While I worked at Tecan they were thriving, and we all loved working. there, but towards the End polices were changed and a more rigid work environment were implemented
Insurance there was the best Ever had, I spent a total of 10 dollars for my first son when he was born, from 8 weeks to delivery I only had to Pay $10.. greatest feeling ever
Pros
Insurance
good company and technology
Associate Global Product Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA19 April 2018
I would only recommend working here for scientists. The commercial side of the business is every man or woman for themselves. Constant jockeying for position and poor management, constantly changing direction if you are lucky enough to get the company direction.
Pros
full benefit packages and lots of recreation sports at lunch and after work including an onsite gym
Cons
you probably won't have time to enjoy the sports benefits because you'll be micromanaged, overwhelmed with work
fast paced, treat temps poorly
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA26 March 2018
half of the workforce are temps, low retention rate.
staff very abusive to temps.
company is innovative, meeting driven no time to focus as there is a new task coming at you.
fast changing, competitive environment
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA26 March 2018
This is a great company to work at if you are ok with ambiguity and being tasked to several projects at the same time. Work life balance is hard as everyone in the company has accepted 50+ work weeks.
Pros
work environment, social events
Cons
advancement opportunities, work-life balance
Would not recommend
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA17 March 2018
The culture has changed dramatically over the last few years. Bad management, bad decisions, and a "toxic" work environment. Those aren't my words, those are the words of numerous people that do still and have previously worked there. It's not a good place. It's a great place to have on your resume but it's a nightmare to go in everyday. People are miserable, overwhelmed, and overworked. That is not a great combination for trying to get things done cross-functionally. Avoid if you can.
Pros
Stock, free gym, beautiful campus
Cons
NO work/life balance, horrible cafe, uncooperative coworkers, dense management
things have changed at Illumina IT
Sr Systems Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA14 March 2018
IT department has adopted a culture from consultants without work ethics and who simply want their personal growth in shortest time and do not value company values or mission.
Pros
new technoogy and proud to be part of great benefit for mankind, sports
Cons
bad management in IT and spreading a cancer culture with self centered goals
Very dynamic and rapidly evolving organization
Marketing Development Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA7 March 2018
I had a very rewarding career with Illumina. To quickly summarize Illumina is all about , great people, great culture and great technology. People at Illumina are really passionate about making world a better place by unlocking the power of genomes.
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA4 March 2018
I only have fond memories of my work there. I had a great boss and I never felt like I didn't have a future there. I only left to complete higher education but would love to return
Respectful place to work
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA17 February 2018
I really like working at Illumina. It is a great company to learn and grow as a professional. I have worked for two different departments as a temporary employee and both of these departments are great.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Respectfull
Market leading technology, strong growth but execution is patchy
Director (Former Employee) –  Asia Pacific14 February 2018
The company has a long track record of innovation and excellence in its technology which has come to dominate the market.
Most people are very committed and work very hard.
Salary and benefits are generous but vary from country to country.
There has been an increase in politics across middle management that has led to some poor decisions, and many great talented people have left. Seems that executives are either unaware or don't care.
Pros
Great salary and benefits, market leading technology.
Cons
Becoming more political, with many great people leaving.
Not a great to place work if your a woman or minority.
Sales and Training (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA7 February 2018
Diversity is a big issue here. HR is horrible and not supportive. Management are not trained to supervise people and disrespectful. Horrible place to work.
Pros
Cafe, coffee shops and working remote
Cons
No diversity, no advancement and horrible managers.
Amazing Place to Work
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 921226 February 2018
I really enjoy working at Illumina. There is a friendly high spirited environment. It is a wonderful place with many amazing opportunities. It is a beautiful company that provides you with everything you need for success.
Fun and Fast Moving
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA5 February 2018
Always busy
They give back to employees
Fun events
Great team work and positive feedback
the culture is the best part. always a fun day
Pros
benefits and culture
Cons
hard to take vacation
Fast Paced Environment
Quality (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA4 February 2018
Illumina is a fast paced, ever-changing environment. There is a culture of collaboration with many fun and interactive employee events. The company has always had a high growth rate.
New leadership negatively impacting culture
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA25 January 2018
New senior leadership is having dramatically negative impact on culture with morale being at an all time low. Stock price does not indicate underlying cultural and organizational challenges. Leaders don't have fundamental grasp of products or markets served and decisions are made in silos without regard to the actual information being presented by mid-level employees. Growth strategy based on install base churn and not long term strategy. Culture has shifted from open, "everyone's opinion is respected" to "watch your back."
Extremelly inspiring and amazing technology. Working with very talented people.
Import/Export Analyst II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA23 January 2018
Would have stayed at Illumina but I left the country for a year.

My direct manager was pleasant to work with but the Director of the department had no vision or leadership. Because of this, we all left to other departments or left the company. Unfortunately, this director is still employed there.
I have been contacted several times to go back but I am looking for an opportunity with a leader who knows how to build a team of mindful contributors with one united vision and goal. I also need to have a high level of trust to be a successful contributor. Micromanagers are a cancer that kills creativity and collaboration.
Pros
High tech, always learning something new and incredible technology. Vacation days. Company sponsor celebrations, summer concerts and happy hours.
Cons
Poor managers do not get reviewed by the team they are supposed to managed.
Extremely Diverse Culture with Room to Grow
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA27 December 2017
The most enjoyable part of my work day was attending to the Lab Assembly Team. I enjoyed pulling materials and organizing the kits for delivery to other warehouses.
Pros
Free Peanut Butter for Apples
Great Place to Work
Tradeshow and Event Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA6 December 2017
Lots of perks and benefits. It's a great company, with smart minds and a collaborative environment. Illumina is meeting heavy, but creates a collaborative team effort on most projects.
Pros
work/life balance, benefits, great CEO
Cons
Poor management
Big corporation with incompetent managers
Sr. Validation Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA3 December 2017
Behind a nice looking campus hides a stressful work environment, highly incompetent and manipulative management. Lack of benefits or recognition for the hard work is appalling, given the enormous profits the company makes.
Pros
Big Name
Cons
No benefits, poor management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illumina. Our community is ready to answer.