ILAC (INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE ACADEMY OF CANADA) Employee Reviews

Amazing place
Summer Supply ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 September 2019
I taught Supply and I couldn’t believe how supportive everyone was. I highly recommend this work place. They train you, treat you as a prized asset as any teacher should be treated and make you feel as you are an integral factor for their success .
Poor experience overall
Former Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2019
I have worked at this school before and it was not a pleasant experience. They toss you around into whichever classroom they wish, they give you over 20 students in a classroom that suits 15 (I am pretty certain that this is against the fire code in many buildings), and on top of all of this, you are expected to work overtime. I recall that during the summer some teachers were working from 8:30am to 8p.m. and some even longer than that. The management could care less about the staff and their needs. You can tell a lot about a school and how it values its teachers and the fact that this school does not have a staff room for its staff says a lot about how much they appreciate those who work so hard to keep the business going. After all, we are kidding ourselves to assume that this is a legitimate school. It is just another business. Many people lose their jobs here without knowing why and the strange part is that jobs are lost almost immediately after sitting down with management. The management will come to talk to new teachers after their 3 month probationary period ends to discuss how they have been and how they have settled into the environment. Not long after this meeting, teachers vanish without warning. It is beyond scary to sit there and think that you are next. It creates a very negative environment for all. It also does not make any sense whatsoever to let teachers go after telling them that they are doing a great job. The management could care less about this because they are, above all, a factory whereby they train people to become teachers through their TESOL program  more... which they hold on site. All in all, this school is a joke. There are other, much better paying schools, real schools that you can go to, teach and be more successful. I regret working at this place.  less
Pros
Some good students.
Cons
Low pay, long hours, no hours, sudden class and classroom changes, poor attitude of management.
fun place to work, few chances of growing a career
Academic Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2019
fun place to work, great locations. few chances of growing a career and very low salaries. i enjoyed my time there but felt like they only look out for cheap labour.
Great Place to Start
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2018
I worked at ILAC for 2 years between 2016 and 2018. I had a rough start for the first two weeks when I was sent in to replace a long time teacher. However, I found that management and other teachers were extremely helpful with giving insight and advice and after that I adjusted well. Starting wage is lower than other places, but pay and hours are reliable for at least ~25hrs per week. You can take on more hours if they're available but it can be tiring. The hardest part of the job is being thrown into a class/level that you may not be familiar with and unfortunately that's a bit of random luck. If you're there for more than 6 months you a get some benefits and can join the company's GRSP which I would highly recommend. Finally, resources can vary depending on the building you are at but overall I think staff and management try to assist the teachers as much as possible.
Pros
Great coworkers; benefits and chance to increase hr wage at the beginning
Cons
Wage plateau after one year; PT hours around winter
Terrible
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2018
Some departments are a big mess and you will feel totally overwhelmed and stressed. They are not organized at all.
The payment is a joke, even for management positions. Turn over is high, some people are protected by the management and don't work as hard as others do, they don't leave the company because is very convenient for them while they are hiding in an office other members of the team are dealing with all customer problems and struggling to get the job done. New employees learn on the spot under a lot of pressure.
Pros
Multiculturalism, make good friends
Cons
Long work hours, extra hours are not paid, weak management, impossible to take a full lunch break, you feel overworked all the time
fun place to work
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
Fun place to work! Have met many wonderful people and have made many friends over the years. If you're looking for a fun, challenging and rewarding place to work, I'd recommend working at Ilac.
A good place to start, but leave quickly
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  ILAC Toronto10 April 2018
I started as an ESL teacher there, but very quickly realized it was not the place for me.

There is no support from managers at all. We are told to work extra, with up to 24 students in a class for months at a time, and never given extra pay.

The HR department is one woman. She is extremely unprofessional and I was told by other teachers to never bring a complaint or issue to her or I would be fired.

Finally, I decided to leave when one of my students told me they had an "uncomfortable" interaction with the owner and they would be going back to their home country. She never fully explained, but as other teachers, students, and staff have said the same thing in the past, I feel that it was just going to continue.

Worse yet, now that I am searching for jobs at other ESL schools, I have learned that working at ILAC is not a positive on your resume. Most interviewers consider my experience there the same as having no real teaching experience.
Pros
They will hire anyone regardless of experience
Cons
They will take full advantage, overwork all employees, very high turnover
great workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2018
- multicultural environment / staffs
- fun environment
- investment to your learning process
- mentoring program
- great location
- great leaders and managers there
International Student Advisor
Student Orientation Guide - Volunteer Experience (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2017
It is a really good school to be with. ILAC helped me to understand the importance of accepting and meeting new people from different cultures. I have been learning from this school since the first day of class and working with them was the best experience ever.
Pros
Amazing people to be with
Cons
Not more opportunities to grow