IKEA Employee Reviews for Cashier

fun workplace
Cashier Coworker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2018
I had an excellent time in IKEA, the coworkers were great and supervisors good too. The only downside is that it got busy and overwhelming sometimes.
Great company to work for
Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON15 February 2018
Fun place to work. Typical day working on cash lanes, assisting customers with payment or any other issues they may have. Workplace environment is warm and friendly, managers are respectful and kind and we all work well as a team.
The hardest part of the job is unpredictable hours and constant shift changes, but for the most part cash office is a great area to work in.

After being here for so long, its time for new challenges.
Great place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 February 2018
great place to work feel at home fair pay management is good and cares about employees many perks to working here lunches sick days vacations various events !!
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, ON11 October 2017
Management is friendly and informative, and coworkers are helpful and happy to teach you. Managers encourage you to expand your knowledge and explore other jobs throughout the company. Customer service is key at IKEA, because leaving the best impression on the customer is vital for a positive shopping experience. IKEA believes in offering high quality products and an affordable price, extending their reach to make a better everyday life for as many people as possible. IKEA believes in sustainability and upholding high ethical and moral values.
Pros
Employee discounts, free lunches on peak days, holiday parties, fun kickoff events
Cons
Keeping an extremely high volume of customers happy at all times, long hours
Excellent
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 August 2017
Perfect! great place to grow professionally, hours are balanced to home life, free lunch to staff excellent benefits with employee contribution and match
Pros
Free lunch caring staff
Fun place to work.
Cashiers/Self Checkout Attendants (Former Employee) –  North York, ON22 April 2017
Looking out for any unusual action at the cash register and provide exceptional customer service. Learn how to deal with passionate customers. Management was great and fair. The hardest part of the job was asking the customer for checking their bags without offending them. Servicing customers and able to resolve their inquiries.
fun workplace environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2017
everyone was very helpful it didn't matter what kind of day you were having there was always someone there to make sure that your fine the hardest part of the job was when it was weekend of a holiday it was very busy but there was always help
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 December 2016
I had fun working there, nice ambiance and great people! They are all social persons, great with customers in every departments. The managers are very nice, they like helping us in getting to know the system. Perhaps, they are very strict about everything.
Pros
When there was a rush we had free lunch
Fun place to work for
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON29 June 2016
In general the crowd I work with are very friendly and fun to work with. There is always a nice and upbeat atmosphere when I come to work.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2016
Is was a fun experience kind of hard but who doesn't like a challenge great vibe and really somewhere where you feel like a family member.
Diverse environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 May 2016
Loved the diversity of this workplace. Amazing co-workers that were extremely kind when I was new. They were very helpful during my training period.
Benefits
Cons
Standing
Fun and Enjoyable company to work for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North York, ON8 December 2015
I love working at Ikea because of its diversity of employees.

Everyday is different. Full of challenges due to the variety of people that shops there.

Management is amazing to its employees and work ethic is strong.
Fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2015
amazing work environment, good people, lost of learning, great policy's. Understanding their customers and fulfilling their needs and wants.
Pros
flexible
Good Prices/Nice Co Workers!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta1 June 2015
I worked for Ikea for about four years. When I first worked their it was great. It was fun and the employees were treated great. Ikea lost their HR manager and it all went down hill from their. I stayed because of the hours I got and I was able to take my kids to and from school. I had one manager that was great when I started and understood about Job Work/Life Balance. However, the good ones often leave and she did.

Management changed and I stayed as long as I needed to. I even tried a few different areas. I appreciated the great hours at the beginning and a great HR manager. It seems for me it is always about poor management and micromanaging. I am the kind of person that likes to be given a job and left to do it. I could do this for the most part as a cashier. I really enjoyed the customers and loved going the extra mile. I enjoy learning from other people!

The hardest part of the job were the managers in the cash office. That is all I have to say about that!
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Poor management
Dynamic workplace
Furniture retailer - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC22 May 2015
I could not have asked for a better first job experience. I have learned my customer service skills at Ikea and I have also learned how to manage difficult situations with clients.
It was a great working experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC5 September 2014
Working at Ikea was a great learning experience. I have learnt many responsibilities and work ethics by being a part of their team. I enjoyed working with different people everyday, it helped me build excellent communication skills in English and French. I picked up my working pace very quickly due to the number of clients I have served everyday. Working as a cashier required memorization skills for the codes and had helped me build my strength in various ways. The reason why I left is due to the hours that were not enough for me. In Ikea the hours given per worker is based on seniority, the longer you've been working with the, the more hours you would receive to work. Since I have been there for a year I did not receive many hours that I needed to financially support myself. Overall Ikea was a great place to work and to gain experience.
Pros
leanred many useful skills
Cons
not enough hours
Great environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2014
Overall it is an absolutely wonderful working experience. The pay scale is above average the retail industry.
Very good employee discount program. Cash department is the best department to work for!
Pros
Incentives, Free lunches, gift cards, yearly gifts, discounts.
Cons
No full time
Great place to work in general
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2014
-Would cash out clients, trouble shoot with the cash computers when required, provide customer service.
-Learnt about the process of checking out, balancing at the end of the night and solutions for cash computer problems
-management was easy to work with, we had few cash supervisors
-Job was easy in general except certain situations that could be taken care of when the customers may have disagreed with prices or wanting discount.
-The enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people
Pros
Social environment, easy tasks, short hours
Cons
Dealing with rude customers, had to work weekends
Secure position, great pay, close staff
Cashier/Restaurant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON27 July 2013
Ikea was a great job. I enjoyed the hours, my co-workers, and the customer service I provided.
The most difficult part of this job was the busy season, working overtime at last minute and trying to get the rush down.
The most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers.
A typical day would include food prep, cash register, food display, dining room runs (clearing tables, cleaning dining hall). Doing food prep for the next day, serving customers, cashing out at the end of the day.
Very busy company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, ON19 April 2013
Each day I would work on either a self check-out section or a traditional cash lane. When working a traditional cash lane each individual is responsible for for their own cash float and balancing at the end of a shift. The job is very simple but made to be more difficult than needed due to their outdated computer systems and procedures. This makes it difficult because I believe in providing customers with a high level of customer service but without proper systems it is not easy to do. Ikea is a company known for a multi-cultural work environment and high standards for equality resulting in a good work environment.
Pros
employee discount, affordable lunches in employee room
Cons
outdated computers and procedures