Here to help: Coronavirus update

IHOP Employee Reviews

Canada125 reviews
Good smooth experience, if it's slow enough
IHOP during the slower periods of the year can be a smooth, fun-filled experience. Come the busier periods of the years, and every weekend, it can and will be an extremely stressful place to work. You need a thick, and I mean thick, shell to not be bothered by it all. I will say it's best to stay on everyone's good side.
Will under pay you
I worked as a host and I thought my job would be taking payment, setting tables, and seating people. You also clean tables, get drink orders, you clean the restaurant such as sweeping, taking out garbages and clean bathrooms all while still trying to manage greeting and seating. In times when it is not busy you do not get to relax manager watches you, makes you clean literally walls or doors. Your also paid minimum wage for all this.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Pay you little. Little room to advance. Stressful. Management watches you at all times.
very stressful
Very stressful job at times. Long hours on your feet. Takes a special kind of person to put up with rude customers and not always getting upset but when you are a server you have to.
The owner is very cheap when it come to paying their people
The kitchen manager was so dirty amd a kiss **- their people works hard but they dont pay you enough. No benefits too. Stay away from this company, they will only use you but won’t appreciate your hard work.
Pay
worked there for 8 months when i got tips it was little or none and did not valence out with other hosts even when i worked much more than them. Managers were not very understanding
Fun Workplace but busy and lots of cleaning.
Typical day are mornings slow then there is a rush at 11 am to 1pm. But when weekends Super busy starts at 9 am to 3 pm. Sometime you can't get a break. Managers are very good they help you if you need it, they listen to your concerns and they are so friendly so do not be afraid. Its fun envirorment but like I said sometimes there is a sacrifice like OT! NO FREE FOOD BTW only drinks but not juices or milkshakes.
Bad place ,badmanagement
I don’t suggest people to work there the general manager is a very bad person the kitchen manager the same .they are from India Nd Pakistan they give hours just to people from their countries ,
Consistency is quality
Working for a franchise you learn the benefits of consistency and how that relates to quality. Fast paced, great work environment with a fantastic core group of long term employees
it was whatever
It was whatever to be honest. The manager was alright and so was the owner. I didnt think much of the place. Just do work and get out. Thats how it was for me
Great place to learn and work..
The IHOP where I worked was great...The people ,management, and the environment itself..I learned alot from Dmo,prep, cooking,as well as shipping and handling when it came to checking in store trucks using the fifo method when arranging oldand new product.managment gave you opportunity to grow and advance.great place I will definitely miss everyone there
fast paste fun workplace
it was really fast paste i was constantly on my feet moving fun work environment everyone is really easy to get along with super friendly place to be in.
Overall great place.
Really enjoyed working at Ihop. Other then my occasional blunders and brain farts that got you in more trouble then small stuff should have was pretty good place to work at. Management could be a bit rough and rude when it was not called for. Other then that had wonderful guests. Lunch rush on weekends could be a bit overwhelming.
Pros
Free lunch
Racist Management
I went in for a spontaneous interview, the first question the manager asks me even before I sat down was, "where are you from? China?" Which immediately raised some red flags for me. When I told him I was from Vancouver, he proceeded to say "So you recently moved from China to here?" At the time I did not know what to say so I corrected him saying that I was born and raised in Vancouver.

The second question after that infuriated me as he asked where my parents were from and then gave an example Hong Kong or China. So I answered again. After those two questions he did not even bother asking about my past experiences. The two questions about my race were the only ones asked in this interview. What does my race have to do with working there?

This was the most informal interview ever. I would not recommend even going to an interview here, by the way he talked to me and the questions he asked, no one deserves to work in an ill-managed work place like this one.

They should be thankful I didn't sue, because it's actually illegal to ask about someone's race during a job interview.
Pros
No pros
Awful Management and Company
Awful management, who are not familiar with the Employment Standards act or Workers Rights.
WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.

They didn't let staff take breaks. Would yell at staff for drinking water.

Long shifts no breaks or lunches. Wrongful Dismissal of multiple staff, Horrible company.
High tip out seasonal work.
Skip this place. Unless you wanna tip out more than your paycheck. Rude tourists. Added a tourist tax that everyone complained about. No clean glassware....would run out of stock constantly. It was gross.
Pros
Zero pros
Cons
Every single thing
Good money
Good money, have to work weekends. workers are nice. bright, tips are good. Overall good environment. I enjoyed it there, just sucks working every saturday and sunday
Absolutely terrible
I had the misfortune of working for the Burnaby location as my first job, so I wasn't aware of my rights or what was considered as acceptable. The managers are unnecessarily hostile towards both their employers and their customers over the littlest things, which adds even more stress to an already fast-paced environment. Due to the obsessive nature of the managers checking the security cameras for no reason, it was pretty common for them to call the store so you could get yelled at for simply idling during night shift, speaking to a coworker or quickly checking your phone if there was nothing else to do. Sometimes they'd flat out refuse to give you legally required breaks if it was "too busy," despite having enough manpower to easily get someone else to cover you.

For the kitchen staff, I'm not sure if it's still like this, but the workers were also often aggressive for no reason to the point where some could see it as workplace bullying. Seeing questionable food practices, such as not using disposable gloves for food and instead grabbing it with a bare hand, was a daily sight. My coworker was forced to dig out peanut butter and jelly packets out of the trash can because they "weren't opened yet," despite being covered in all sorts of juice and dish residue, so that they could be sprayed and served to the customers. Absolutely disgusting.

For the love of god, do yourself a favour and work anywhere else but here.
Pros
Free lunch during breaks, assuming you don't mind the risk of contamination
Cons
Literally everything else
Happy work enviornment
enjoyable to work with. friendly staff, learned a lot of things. Worked as a cook. lots of growth potential in the business. Enjoyable to work enviornment.
Good place to get work experience
This may just be the location i work at, but all my coworkers are pretty friendly and helpful. I haven't been here long but i already am being trained to be promoted.
The work is fast paced, and not all customers are the nicest, but for the most part they're pretty friendly and have been coming for years.
Pros
staff meals
Cons
occasional open ended shifts
Ridiculous management
I worked for 2 weeks at I HOP. I called in sick the day before because I was extremely ill, the manager told me to rest up and not too worry about it. Next day I get a call from the same manager explaining that I skipped my shift and I'm now fired. I don't reccomend this job to anyone. Co workers were nice for the most part, but with the management, you're screwed.
Pros
The only pro was that it was more than minimum wage
Cons
Horrible management, breaks aren't paid for, extremely disorganized
very good
it was very good I went to school and took buissness management and that's why I quilt my job and it was a very good experanced for me
Pros
ii moved on from my job
Cons
i liked my job and but i had a chance to go to school