IGA Employee Reviews

Found 460 reviews matching the search See all 1,734 reviews
It's your typical retail store
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Devon, AB5 December 2018
Working at IGA is just like working at any other grocery store or retail job. There's not a lot of positives apart from the regular customers you get to know quite well and the co-workers you become friends with. As with most retail stores, there is no credit where credit is due, and you're expected to do more than physically capable. It doesn't matter how hard you work, how many breaks you skip to get the work done, or how little you contribute and slack off, you're still treated like a number.
General workplace
Stock Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Provost, AB20 November 2018
My time at my local IGA was very enjoyable for the most part. Working there I was able to maintain a steady job and helped hone some of my skills while going through my later years of high school like time management to finish all my tasks in a given time. Our manager was quite good and tried to make sure the employees that showed results were rewarded and those who lacked were addressed and given steps to improve.
All one Team
Cake Desiger (Current Employee) –  Claresholm, AB17 October 2018
I have work for I.G.A for many years and have done many things, like. Deli to Cashier, Bakery and now cake Designer. A typical day would be coming in and looking over all produce dates. To insure that there are no out dated produce. If so throw out and remake new produce. Over the years I have Learned to draw pictures on cakes. Management keeps me informed on all new produce,s that are coming up. For most part, the work place over all., Is one team. We all help each out, when needed. It,s also a fun place to work as well. We all get along as one big family. The most enjoyable part of my job. Is making the customer happy.
Pros
Pizza, chicken wings at Christmas time.Mmmm
Cons
I can, t think of anything.
Just a summer job.
Packer (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Catherine, QC1 November 2018
Packs people's groceries all day. Learned to become patient, you'd be surprised how people are sometimes. The management was fine, schedules were always clean and simple to follow. Make sure to ask at least a month prior to a day/week off for vacation. Hardest part is dealing with clients and their, sometimes, unrealistic demands.
Pros
Air conditioning
Cons
Poor salary, Dealing with clients.
High pacem environment
Caissier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 November 2018
I work part-time at Iga
Here are some job duties and responsibilities of cashier job:-
The first duty of cashier is to greet the customers entering into organization
Handling all the cash transaction of an organization
Receive payment by cash, cheques, credit card etc
Checking daily cash accounts
Guiding and solving queries of customer
Providing training and assistance to new joined cashier
Maintaining monthly, weekly and daily report of transactions
These are some common responsibilities of cashier. And one more thing to become a cashier he/she should be graduate in accounting and should have knowledge of bank policies. He/she should be strong in mathematics and statistics. The skills required for a cashier are communication, honesty, sincerity etc.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no benefit or salarie augmentation
It wasn't great.
Commis (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 August 2018
Typical day consist of baking and re-stocking. They do not teach you anything about safety measures. Management was okay but didn't take much into consideration my work hours; example: put me on the schedule when they knew I had school and didn't give me enough hours. Couldn't speak English at all in the work place. Little to no diversity in employees. Hardest part: staying in the freezer for too long. Enjoyable part: baking and speaking to customers. But I think its different for every store.
Pros
freezer
Cons
customers
les employés étaient très bien formés
Rôtisseur au prêt à manger (Former Employee) –  Bois-des-Filion, QC19 November 2018
L’ambiance de travail était excellente entre employés mais la direction ne se souciait pas du bien-être de ses employés, ils les traitent comme des moins que rien
Pros
les heures, espace de travail
Cons
la direction
Expérience plus ou moins agréable
Commis à la charcuterie (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 November 2018
Depuis l’arrivée des nouveaux propriétaires, les conditions de travail sont beaucoup mieux, mais personnellement, je n’apprécie pas l’environnement de travaille.
Pros
Tirage
Cons
Pas de rabais aux travailleurs
Friendly Staff
Cashier/Courtesy Desk (Former Employee) –  Coboconk, ON2 November 2018
Over 2 years in the Cashier arena, it was time for a change. The hours provided were not enough to support my small sons. The job itself was excellent in terms of learning new skills and such, the renumeration at the time not
Great work place with busy days
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 September 2018
- A deli clerk is a busy job. When I first started working there I was abit overwhelmed because you have to learn codes for meats, salads and sandwiches. Also learn how to make a lot of different food items. Some days are really good and easy going and some days are super busy especially during rush hours and you have food to prepare and customers to serve, it taught me how to multi- task and also how to work at a fast pace and manage my time.

- Overall in the end I enjoyed the work, plus I had the best co workers. Our workplace was very diverse so it was really fun and I got to learn different cultures and make awesome friends!!

- Pay was okay they paid slightly above the minimum wage. My manger was great and shifts were flexible since I was a student, he would give me my sufficient hours. The store I worked at was independently owned so the owner was very favoury.
Pros
Awesome co workers;discounted and free items sometimes;flexible shifts
Cons
No benefits; lack off growth opportunity
Horrible
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC5 December 2018
The people running this place are crazy. I used to feel sick having to go into work while I was there and they mistreat most if not all of their staff.
Pros
There are literally none other than experience
Cons
Management is terrible
Good Workplace
Deli Worker (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC27 November 2018
The tasks given are sometimes a little too much, but we get three breaks and the co-workers are very understanding. Managers are typically kind, however, they can be unorganized.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Bon emploi malgré les exigences du poste
Gérant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 December 2018
Un emploi valorisant, dans un cadre facilitant les leader positif.
Pros
Ambiance et toujours occupé
Cons
Certaines exigences ne tiennent pas compte du lieu spécifique de l'épicerie
Great management team, but hard to move up.
Cashier / Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 August 2018
The work environment depends highly on your other co-workers. The job doesn't come with any benefits unfortunately. I developed my communication skills immensely throughout the job.
Terrible management
Shelves stocker (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB21 June 2018
All the managers are rude and expect you to do everything to absolute perfection and were often threatening employees with being fired. The only good side was being able to ocattionally socialize with other workers until they told us wed be fired if found talking to other coworkers often.
Pros
not many
Cons
terrible management
nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Côte-Saint-Luc, QC9 November 2018
the management should be equal in human rights
I experience some difficulty of making trust to people there
but its fun to work as a cashier because u get to talk with bunch of nice individuals
not very good
Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Tofield, AB18 January 2019
I find this place is poorly ran
the management team is not helpful not very supportive
low class, hard place to work if you are not friends of theirs
not very reliable
Travail pour étudiants
Commis cuisine (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 July 2018
Horaire flexible pour les étudiants
On peut avoir facilement le nombres d'heures qu'on veut
Heure de travail entre 7h et/ou 8h
Assurance après 2 ans
2 semaines de vacances après la première année
Pros
Embiance de travail agréable
Cons
Salaire et difficile davoir un meilleur poste
a good job
Caissiere (Former Employee) –  canada, qc1 November 2018
Worked at few IGA's and had a great experienced. I loved working a cashier, and enjoyed meeting new people and learning new things. The bosses were great too,.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
hours were bad
Friendly Environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Québec Province16 September 2018
People there are extremely friendly. They are willing to help out without any complaints. Managers are quite understanding as well. Only downside is my extremely poor hours.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
No discounts