ICBC
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Working at ICBC: Latest ICBC Reviews

Canada177 reviews

unionpensionclaimcolleaguechallengingopportunitybalancesupportive

Busy environment with too much oversight and top down management

Been at ICBC for 2 years now as a client service representative, generally it has been ok. Depending on your office or peers, it could be a very supportive environment or a complete mess (it is truly office dependant) some management will play favourites other managers will do their darn hardest to make sure you grow and thrive and move on up the food chain.Things that bother me the most was the how much the deductions was (mostly the long term disability), salary negotiation are over due, many of us have 2nd jobs in order to make ends meet (this includes some in management) The union doesn't do that much, but it helps you with getting another position if you been there for a while. Union fees are reasonable. Overall, good for a paycheck, good for people not too ambitious in their career and want to get a pension when they retire. Don't expect to be nurtured too much to grow into a new role, they will do external hires for that.

Pros

Good coworkers, work life balance, reasonable medical benefits

Cons

Crazy deductions, rigid interviewing process, lack of transparency, high deductions

Micromanagers and co-workers with racial aggression

This place is a trip. Its all nice but the managers will micromanage you for small things. They will ask inappropriate personal questions and the employees will engage in inappropirate conversation at the work place.

Insights into ICBC

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Too woke

The work can be interesting and varied. Promotions are based on having the right personality and demonstrating engagement.

Collaborative and nice, but no real work is done.

Good life work balance. Immediate managers are supportive but do not have much authority or influence. You have to be nice to stay in the job. Management takes no responsibility or accountability for results. Too many initiatives going on without anyone being accountable for results. Not for people who want to do meaningful job. Not a place to grow or career advancement.

Pros

Life work balance. Pay

Cons

No career advancement. Poorly organized processes. Very siloed.

Icbc is a good company to work with

Icbc is a good company to work with however there are excessive caseloads and stress level is high. But management at immediate level is understanding and supportive. Some new executive level initiatives are trying their best to help the employees as well as people of British Columbia to move forward. There are many reforms which could be made to help it getting more better place to work. I enjoy working here.

Super fun

Loved working here, all my co-workers were super nice. The atmosphere is very relaxed and didn't feel as corporate-y as I thought it would be. Good work-life balance too.

If you like management that doesn't listen and being micromanaged this is the place for you

Management doesn't listen to concerns or even attempt to consider employee suggestions. You are micromanaged with low pay, low morale, brokers don't trust anything you say to them. Overall NOT a place I would recommend anyone work at.

Lots of room for growth and advancement for employees

There are many different career paths that can be taken at ICBC. Supportive and caring work environment. Great pension and benefits package. I greatly enjoyed my time working there.

Pros

Pension, work life balance, great management

Cons

The union dues are expensive

Inefficient and highly hierarchical

If you have innovative ideas and like to challenge the status quo, you will be very disappointed. If your motto is being nice and agreeable, then it is your place to work. Get used to lots of lofty words and no meaningful action. Do not challenge anyone, it will cost you your job. Upper management keeps all decisions to themselves. On the good side, good benefits and no pressure to deliver results.

Work and life balance

Work and life balance is good.Just work loads never gets low, always more things to do.Still benefits and vacation not bad.Slow culture, nothing changes.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Work loads

Good benefits and job security

Working at ICBC was a very rewarding and enjoyable experience. People you work with are generally really nice. Good health benefits and pension but pay is on the lower end.

Good benefits that’s about it

People you work with are generally really nice. Upper management not so much and you have to really kiss as* to move into different departments. Good benefits and pension. Extremely overworked and understaffed.

Great management, great co-workers

Working at ICBC was a very rewarding and enjoyable experience. If I could, I would have stayed longer, but while I was working there as a contractor, a new policy was put in place to let all contractors go at the end of their respective term.

Good benefits and job security

Lots of vacation days and time off for permanent employees. The benefits are good but the salary is average. The workload is heavy and higher management are micro-managing staff.

Micromanagement institution, no challenging projects, highly hierarchical, very slow pace

This is a strong hierarchical and micromanagement organization. Old management style. Many meetings without clear purpose. Interview process was ok with a business case and presentation. Managers had long tenure and continue performing their roles in the same fashion for many years. Strong hierarchical management. Difficult to speak to higher levels managers. Benefits are great.The organization has strong resistance to change. Daily work activities had minimum impact and often didn’t make sense.Minimum professional growth.

Pros

Benefits, work-life balance

Cons

Micromanagement, minimum challenges, old management style, no professional growth

Collaborative

The organization has put in a great amount of effort into the work culture and is an amazing place to work! The senior management is very engaged with the employees.

Don't waste your time, you will only be a cog in the wheel, not a respected individual

This can be a bit a bit of an opportunity for young people if they would like to take courses to get them ahead in another corporation/company. In most positions, employees feel overworked, underpaid and unsupported.

Good immediate management and amazing team, lacking in good life/work balance and recipricol pay for lowermainland

Great people to work with and managers that truly to do absolutely everything in their power to make you feel supported from their level and try to get you that support from above.Higher ups leave a bit to be desired and god forbid they test you on anything and you don't get their verbage 100% the same... Use thier exact same wording or else even if the answer is technically correct.... Its not.Some staff are stuck with their heads in highschool and gets a bit clicky. The highschool politics has gotten really old and exhausting.

Pros

Amazing support

Cons

Highschool

Job with benefits but no sense of team or personal support

Pros: thorough training, good support so that you can do your job well.Cons: You never meet with your team or really know who your team is. Rare positive feedback. Generally management only gives negative feedback. While sick days are provided, if you truly have an extended illness get the union involved because it's stressful. Management generally has an 'us against them' mentality.If you're part time, vacation is not paid. Everything is more difficult for part-timers.

Pros

Thorough training, good support so that you can do your job well. Good pay. Union support

Cons

Zero sense of team. Very little positive feedback.

One of the best places I've ever worked at

I worked as a legal assistant at ICBC and I had the best co workers, management staff that I've ever experienced. Management was understanding, empathetic, and appreciative of our hard work. The business also did their best to accommodate our work-life balance and help us find locations closer to home. There was always training and meetings to keep in contact.

Pros

Great staff, great pay, work-life balance, fulfilling duties.

Cons

Sometimes people got promoted that didn't really deserve it.

Awful workplace, micromanaged to bits, awful workplace. Liked my co-workers, hourly pay isn't bad but after deductions is awful.

Everything is completely micromanaged, management is awful and constantly out to get you. They try their best to make it an extremely childish work environment, loved my co-workers though.

Pros

Work from home friendly co-workers

Cons

Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ICBC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement