ICBC Employee Reviews

Very outdated hierarchy
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 June 2019
Management is switched around after a while to make sure they aren't "friends" with the department and can chop heads of anyone that isn't a mindless slave. This company needs to stop existing, as many people know.. automated vehicles and TransLink should help.
Love working here
Senior Injury Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 April 2019
Great culture , days off, lots of time off allowed for family events. Wonderful bosses and colleagues. I love working here. Can be a little stressful sometimes but nothing major
Pros
Off days
Cons
Grumpy clients
Extremely poor company culture
Injury adjuster (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 April 2019
The job itself is very stressful and busy. You basically deal with a lot of liars. You can’t say much but to compensate them because ICBC doesn’t want clients to go to lawyers. This company is in big trouble. Time to dismiss this crown corporation.

People are stuck here because they have no where else to go. If you’re young, leave as early as you can. Orthereise, you’re stuck here forever.
Benefits
Cons
bureaucratic work environment
A great organization that could do much better with a more thoughtful management.
Legal Counsel II (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 April 2019
The management and workplace culture at the Gateway, Surrey office (which has the largest concentration of lawyers in the organization) leave much to be desired. Everyone is overworked and rarely appreciated. Salary compensation and career advancement opportunities are almost always given out by management on an arbitrary basis.
Nice place to work but Managers suck.
DTVI Rep (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC21 February 2019
all in all working at ICBC wasnt that bad, the employees were great, lots of nice work spaces and a pretty decent cafeteria (at the head office) but the some of the managers were mirco managers, which made it a little uncomfortable. And everything you do is clocked to the second which was a little stressful.
Pros
Union, decent pay.
Cons
bad rep with public
Horrible place to work
Claims Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC5 January 2019
I was hired as a Claims Support Assistant. I didn't do a thing that was listed in my job description other than greet the very odd person at the front counter. I was at a claims centre that didn't actually take claims in person so very few people coming in yet they have a full time long standing receptionist who doesn't do anything else. (Seems weird she doesn't have to do the boring data entry also) Extremely mundane job, no chance for advancement, management was non existant and of no help- no manager in the building, pay was bad, benefits were good. Horrible old office furniture, zero ergonomics which leads to repetition injuries as job was simply only data entry, nothing else, zero for 8 hours a day (they don't tell you this when they hire you). A good job if you don't care about sitting and staring at a single monitor all day paying vendor bills and very rigid hours and breaks. Zero flexibility. Holiday picks are a joke and very competitive, you will never ever get xmas time off. Worst job ever.
Benefits
Cons
Office Culture
work place drama
Claim Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC14 December 2018
too much work place drama and questionable management and turn over rate.

learned not to trust management.

you can't correct anyone if they are wrong or they consider it rude and management will write you up. this is why the company is consider a fire dumpster.

too many middle management all you need is one manager to put the schedule down, I mean the manager never did your job or know enough about it.

hardest part of the job is dealing if drama at work.

the most enjoyable part is the 4 days off after.
Pros
four day on four day off for work schedule
Cons
workplace drama, and questionable management
Amazing work/life balance
Express estimator (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC12 November 2018
Positive and helpful work environment. Great benefits, huge room for growth and opportunities to advance. Excellent benefits, management is wonderful.
Productive environment
Functional Analyst (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 October 2018
Worked here for 25 years and enjoyed advancement and career opportunities up until I retired . It was a fast paced environment and offered many interesting challenges in terms of production support.
multicultural work place
Customer Service Repersentative (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC30 October 2018
ICBC has a multicultural environment where people come from different background and work together share immense knowledge with each other.
This company taught me how to work in a team.
Supportive staff; good benefits
Senior Injury Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 October 2018
Supportive staff; good benefits

Many options for office locations compared to other similar sized corporations located in the province allowing for smaller commutes.
Don't waste your life
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 October 2018
I worked in several departments before resigning. Bureaucratic environment, high turn over for a reason. Don't get caught up in the glitz and glamour of benefits ICBC will suck the soul out of you.
Pros
Benefits, pension
Cons
Micro Management
Productive and fun workplace
Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 September 2018
Great work environment, well managed project, advanced IT system. I have had the opportunity to test Guidewire ClaimCenter, RightFax, DOC1, ESB, EngageOne, PrintShop
So much opportunity
HR (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC14 September 2018
I've been working at ICBC around two years now. It is my first role in the public sector, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
ICBC is an extremely well run organization, particularly when having to operate within the constraints of government direction. Independent audits by big 4 firms have confirmed this on two occasions in recent years.
Flexibility, culture and management style varies greatly by role and division. Within HR it's excellent. More than half the roles are filled internally, so there are always opportunities to grow and develop. The organization is genuinely committed to a diverse and inclusive and respectful workplace - all managers undergo annual training and pass this along to their teams every year. Similarly there is a large focus on sustainability, and the organization operates carbon neutral - some achievement for this industry.

Lots and lots of great people; many in our department would be able to earn far more in the private sector, but stay due to the variety of work, flexibility, stability, and positive work environment.

The biggest frustrations for me are:
1. The ridiculous salary freeze in place for non union employees since 2012, enforced by PSEC our governing body.
2. The dated technology used in some areas of the business - we use a version of SAP that may pre-date the internet...
Pros
See above
Cons
See above
Ticks all the boxes in terms of career development
Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC14 September 2018
Despite what you hear about ICBC, it is a great company to work for. I have been lucky to work for some exceptional managers, who value my contribution and support me in my career advancement. I've also been lucky to work with some extremely talented teams and people who genuinely want to make a difference, every single day.

We work hard here - but the company still supports a decent work/life balance.
Pros
Great team, work/life balance, career opportunities
Cons
Salary freeze, often used as a political pawn
Good Benefits - if you stay at the job!
Confidential Assistant to Directors (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC13 September 2018
I worked with great people while I was with ICBC. They hired good managers and I reported to a great mentor and have met other administrators that are equally wonderful.
Great place to work with opportunity for advancement
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC10 September 2018
Great benefits with every other Fridays off. Challenging work but rewarding in helping people get through the claims process. Your job is spent a lot of time on the phone with clients from all over the province that may not speak English but we offer a translation service of all languages.
Terrible work life balance
Customer Service Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 September 2018
Terrible work life balance - run inefficiently and with lack of transparency between management and employees. No company culture with a general cloud of negativity stemming from employees' resentment at management for feeling underappreciated and overworked. This added to the union environment where everything from vacation, to shift bids, to desk preferences were given on a seniority basis. With no meritocracy in place, a general complacent apathy replaced compassionate service or a concerted team effort in any form, and this now inherently describes ICBC as a corporation, to it's customers and employees alike.
fast paced, good coworkers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 August 2018
at the moment, quite under staffed. But a good place to work nonetheless. It's a very steep learning curve and training is very stressful - you won't be fully comfortable till about 6 months in. The hardest part of the job is just the stuff that comes with being in customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job is the supportive coworkers.
Very stressful place to work.
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 July 2018
There are not enough reps to serve the multitude of clients and therefore everyone is stressed out and need to take time off. management is a little disorganized.
Pros
wage
Cons
management