ICBC Employee Reviews

Trained in Insurance and claims, most successful as a front line employee, loves interaction and communication, successful in litigation role as a Claims Specialist, great negotiator.
Targets set by Leadership are unrealistic. Environment of fear created for hard working career employees who do not show loyalty to the leadership. Chaos and confusion by unhinged leadership around policy/procedures. Hotbed for self-righteous wannabe leaders.Advice to Human Resources- Do your job and bring in new blood. Leaders who have morals, ethics and empathy.
Pros
View
Cons
Pay/benefits not worth it
When I interviewed they had a big list of things I would be doing however, you are pretty much just a mail person who does things for everyone in the office. You are taken advantage of just because your are entry level. The workplace culture was horrible. A lot of my coworkers gossip about each other and are fake to each other. I’ve been told confidential things that only managers should know, but of course nothing is a secret there. The environment is like high school all over again. Management will also ask you to pick up other peoples slack very often.
Pros
TO Days, work-life balance
Cons
Favouritism, repetitive work, bad office culture, gossiping that isn’t stopped by management
Management is very supportive of career development. I've been with ICBC for 3 years and so far have been promoted twice already. I've been in 3 different positions. If you show your worth, it's easy to go up. If you choose to stay where you are, that's also your choice.
Pros
Set hours, excellent benefits, work life balance
Cons
Pay varies at every level. High stress
If you're in a front-line type of position, look for a way out at the next opportunity. e.g. if you get a job where you wear a headset more than 80% of the day. Step one toe away from the cookie cutter robot calltaker we all hope comes soon, management will peck at you on evaluations until you submit or have the fortune of an example of their hypocrisy. e.g. girl I worked near once said outright, "<so-and-so> did literally the same thing and hasn't called about it."
Pros
Union (for whatever reason), so good pay
Cons
Poor union, poor management
Too much workload given and high expectations set by the management. Due to the nature of the job, you constantly deal with liars and rude and unreasonable people but there are other days you feel glad that you can help people who actually need help. It seems like you have the automony but you actually don't as you must follow the management' order even if it's unreasonable and there is no logic behind. Great job if you are okay to being a robot and keeping your head down. Horrible job if you have moral obligations and value fairness. There are some front line managers who are great and some doesn't even have the minimum qualification to manage people. Your worklife will be horrible if you have a bad careless manager as you would need to interact with your manager a lot. Senior management doesn't seem to care about their employees. If you have a choice, I don't recommend to stay here. It will shorten your lifespan. There are reasons for high turnover.
Pros
Fortnight shift
Cons
Underpaid, Management doesnt care about employees
Training is terrible, no support for new people at all, poorly organized, pay isn't great, management doesn't care about harassment issues (complained about an idiot sitting behind me making sexist comments and exhibiting really inappropriate behaviour all day long - North Van HR didn't care and didn't want to do anything about it. Backwards and very uncomfortable place to work, didn't feel safe - would never recommend it to anyone!
I liked working at icbc but I witnessed some very distressing, childish behaviour that reminded me of highschool, Borderline bullying even. Management seemed to be aware but unable to handle the situation. Good work life balance, strict union guidelines and team members very supportive and helpful.
Mgmt is great and they take good care of their employees .training was a bit challenging but you it makes things go smoothly when you talk to people over the phone.
Management here are seriously screwed. The corporations expectations of management seem to be high and they preach that management are to be supportive and build trust. In reality it is far from the idea. They don't communicate with you. HR is very distal. The manager I had was the reason I left. If you enjoy micromanagement, incompetent people management and are okay to be a robot and not a human being this could be a job that works out for you. Mistakes are not acceptable, learning and development is poor, if your shown once and make a mistake it's not acceptable and you will have a hard time. Management are harsh, nonsensitive and inconsiderate of individual differences. They are not trained in any good people management capacity. They often made mistakes with pay, rostering but when you make a mistake they come down on you like a tonne of bricks in a belittling manner. They threatened my job several times. Big egos and lack of concern for the human factor of their employees. They hardly knew how to conduct a performance management review. I'd say steer clear of working for ICBC if you can. It's hard management to an extreme.
Pretty much a toxic work environment. Horrible horrible worst manager I ever had.... nice co workers but really not great pay and not worth having to deal with being belittled by a insecure manager
Its a good stepping stone to get experience in the workplace in a large corporation but if you want to move up and increase your salary, don't stay too long. Just get the experience you need and move on. There is a big turnover rate at this place mostly a lot of temp agencies are filling the positions and its ongoing.
Pros
Good work like balance
Cons
Long hours and stressful and a lot of bullying and gossiping.
Do not be in management line of fire. They ask for your opinion, don't give it, or give party line answers. Come to work, do your job, go home. They have different projects, take the lead on simple tasks but tow the party line. You only work 7.5 hours a day. Being part of a union you pay high union dues they negotiate poorly for you. They tell you that you are uneducated and should be happy with what you get.
An ICBC career is what happens when you don't have a career plan and just keep showing up because they keep paying you. If you're a robot and will do whatever management says without question, this is the perfect fit for you. If you feel a moral obligation to taxpayers to not waste their money or like to have reasonable explanations for sensible questions, find another job.
Pros
set schedule, high pay for a job that does not require education
Cons
management, no upward mobility, pay-ceiling is easy to reach even with education
Terrible place to work. Low office morale. Incompetent managers who are not adequately trained to deal with employees. Big egos in management. Racist. No culture training. No respect for differences. I have witnessed people be belittled and spoken to like they are children. Tiered system of operation. Many many many of my colleagues are unhappy. Archaic management styles. Currently looking at other options. Not even the pension can entice me enough to want to stay.
Great company to work for. Hard to move your way up because of union senority. I would suggest for someone who just wants a stable income and secure job.
Pros
security and government job
Cons
Hard to move up unless you have a degree.
I've worked in more than one location. Some locations are fun, positive, supportive, good energy - others are tense and hostile - your work environment is up to you. Great benefits, good pay, lots of opportunity, medium stress.
Pros
Flex Fridays / TO days
Cons
Work can be repetitive and boring
Too much favouritism in the management. If you don’t fit in their world you will not move up in your career. They find ways of getting around union rules.
I have been blessed to work at ICBC. The training and education make the job much easier along with the support systems in place when employees need help. Each day I have an opportunity to develop my administrative, interpersonal, and analytical skills. I am grateful to be an employee there.
Fast paced but fun workplace. I'm having the chance to make good friends. Good opportunities to grow and the benefits are very good. Looking forward to grow with the company.
The work culture at ICBC is collaborative and supportive. It can be fast-paced. The work is challenging and interesting. There are opportunities for advancement and mentorship. It has been a great experience.
Pros
Opportunities for mentorship.
Cons
Occasional long hours.
  1. Employee reviews