ICBC Employee Reviews

Canada136 reviews
Challenging working environment
Trained in Insurance and claims, most successful as a front line employee, loves interaction and communication, successful in litigation role as a Claims Specialist, great negotiator.
Great potential
I liked working at icbc but I witnessed some very distressing, childish behaviour that reminded me of highschool, Borderline bullying even.
Management seemed to be aware but unable to handle the situation.

Good work life balance, strict union guidelines and team members very supportive and helpful.
Its a great place to work for
Mgmt is great and they take good care of their employees .training was a bit challenging but you it makes things go smoothly when you talk to people over the phone.
Terrible, incompetent and belittling management
Management here are seriously screwed. The corporations expectations of management seem to be high and they preach that management are to be supportive and build trust. In reality it is far from the idea. They don't communicate with you. HR is very distal.
The manager I had was the reason I left. If you enjoy micromanagement, incompetent people management and are okay to be a robot and not a human being this could be a job that works out for you. Mistakes are not acceptable, learning and development is poor, if your shown once and make a mistake it's not acceptable and you will have a hard time. Management are harsh, nonsensitive and inconsiderate of individual differences. They are not trained in any good people management capacity. They often made mistakes with pay, rostering but when you make a mistake they come down on you like a tonne of bricks in a belittling manner. They threatened my job several times. Big egos and lack of concern for the human factor of their employees. They hardly knew how to conduct a performance management review. I'd say steer clear of working for ICBC if you can.

It's hard management to an extreme.
Union so some security there but that's about all I can say
Pretty much a toxic work environment. Horrible horrible worst manager I ever had.... nice co workers but really not great pay and not worth having to deal with being belittled by a insecure manager
Good place to work to get experience in a government job
Its a good stepping stone to get experience in the workplace in a large corporation but if you want to move up and increase your salary, don't stay too long. Just get the experience you need and move on. There is a big turnover rate at this place mostly a lot of temp agencies are filling the positions and its ongoing.
Pros
Good work like balance
Cons
Long hours and stressful and a lot of bullying and gossiping.
Lay low
Do not be in management line of fire. They ask for your opinion, don't give it, or give party line answers. Come to work, do your job, go home. They have different projects, take the lead on simple tasks but tow the party line. You only work 7.5 hours a day. Being part of a union you pay high union dues they negotiate poorly for you. They tell you that you are uneducated and should be happy with what you get.
Poor Managment
An ICBC career is what happens when you don't have a career plan and just keep showing up because they keep paying you. If you're a robot and will do whatever management says without question, this is the perfect fit for you. If you feel a moral obligation to taxpayers to not waste their money or like to have reasonable explanations for sensible questions, find another job.
Pros
set schedule, high pay for a job that does not require education
Cons
management, no upward mobility, pay-ceiling is easy to reach even with education
Simply fed up
Terrible place to work. Low office morale. Incompetent managers who are not adequately trained to deal with employees. Big egos in management. Racist. No culture training. No respect for differences. I have witnessed people be belittled and spoken to like they are children. Tiered system of operation. Many many many of my colleagues are unhappy. Archaic management styles. Currently looking at other options. Not even the pension can entice me enough to want to stay.
Great company
Great company to work for. Hard to move your way up because of union senority. I would suggest for someone who just wants a stable income and secure job.
Pros
security and government job
Cons
Hard to move up unless you have a degree.
Overall, good company to work for.
I've worked in more than one location. Some locations are fun, positive, supportive, good energy - others are tense and hostile - your work environment is up to you. Great benefits, good pay, lots of opportunity, medium stress.
Pros
Flex Fridays / TO days
Cons
Work can be repetitive and boring
Management needs to change
Too much favouritism in the management. If you don’t fit in their world you will not move up in your career. They find ways of getting around union rules.
A respectful workplace with plentiful opportunities where management puts their employees first.
I have been blessed to work at ICBC. The training and education make the job much easier along with the support systems in place when employees need help. Each day I have an opportunity to develop my administrative, interpersonal, and analytical skills. I am grateful to be an employee there.
Fast paced but fun workplace. I'm having the chance to make good friends.
Good opportunities to grow and the benefits are very good.

Looking forward to grow with the company.
Great place to work / a lot of opportunity to grow
The work culture at ICBC is collaborative and supportive. It can be fast-paced. The work is challenging and interesting. There are opportunities for advancement and mentorship. It has been a great experience.
Pros
Opportunities for mentorship.
Cons
Occasional long hours.
A fast-paced environment
I found ICBC a very interesting place to work. The staff is very diverse which made me feel at home from the start. There is a corporate culture but its very welcoming with some outside office activities. There are many facets to the post with a lot of training to help newcomers to the organization.
Not for the faint hearted!
The culture at ICBC has changed over the past 2 to 3 decades. It is a good company to work for but with all the recent changes that the BC Government put in place there is still work to be done. I am sure that things will improve as a bit more time will pass so that any kinks can be ironed out appropriately.
no job security
As this company is at the whim of government, you can be sure that your job is not secure. The environment is stressful and stuffy. You are simply a number when you work there, not a real person.
Pros
the benefits
Cons
insecure environment
good fair & supprtive
Productive and fun environment with peers. Promote advancement with in. Good, fair, and supportive management team.
Customer service base, continually supporting customers needs, work place is structured to do so .
Pros
promote with in
Productive and Fun workplace
A very friendly and healthy environment. A lot of fun activities on-site to relax and enjoy. Learned and improved a lot towards my career. I would very much recommend this place.
Great place to work with great management team
I'd highly recommend ICBC as a place of employment. I enjoyed working there along working with my management team. A very collaborative and engaging work environment.