IBI Group
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Working at IBI Group: Employee Reviews

Canada64 reviews

projectenvironmentcompanygoodmanagementtimeplaceworking

They have lot of activities happening at the firm

Featured review

IBI Group selected this as a representative review
Some days are prolonged paced and some with enough working pressure, but most of the time, it provides the right work-life balance. They have some summer activities that encourage a good and healthy lifestyle.

27 April 2021
Thank you for taking time to write a review! We appreciate you acknowledging the fact that IBI provides the right work-life balance to our employees as that can sometimes be difficult to achieve in such a tight deadline-driven industry. We encourage all of our employees to live a balanced, healthy lifestyle and enjoy supporting that through fun health and fitness competitions, wellness resources and interactive classes with their fellow colleagues! We are glad you enjoyed these and took the time to participate!

Good

Everyone, including staff was willing to help. Although there was a steep learning curve because of the cross training, supervisors encouraged dialogue and answered questions.

30 November 2022
Thank you for your sharing your experience with us! Creating an open dialogue and ongoing conversation is important to us, and we’re delighted that it created a great place to learn for you.

Insights into IBI Group

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Excellent company, but lacking in execution

This company IS a good place to work. But in my experience working with managers up through the C-suites, there was a lack of strategy execution and support for new ideas. The company could benefit from investing in itself, with a try hard/fail fast approach.

Pros

Friendly environment, good work/life balance

Cons

Ownership structure (at the time) created a lot of red tape slow downs to progress

30 November 2022
We’re glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We’ve gone through periods of fairly rapid growth and reinvention that has led to the joining with Arcadis, and the turbulence certainly creates growing pains sometimes! Thank you for your efforts in making us better, and hopefully these experiences have opened doors for future opportunities.

It looks better from outside

Company acquired many small businesses over the years and the "integration" lacks essential elements (eg. unified leadership). Some groups they acquired disappeared after few years.

30 November 2022
We’ve always been on the lookout for organisations that can enhance how we work, and the scope of work that we’re able to engage with. Sometimes it does create growing pains, but it always creates opportunities for both Arcadis IBI employees, and the employees of the organisations that join us! We’re seeing that now in joining with Arcadis, and our project teams are enjoying the increased resources that enable us to develop proposals for projects that are ever more diverse, complex, and greater in scope.

Interesting projects

Good relaxed atmosphere, get to work on a lot of big and interesting projects, good collaboration with other teams, good benefit package and work/life balance

30 November 2022
It’s always great to hear from our employees, and it’s wonderful to hear that you found value in your time with Arcadis IBI. We love the work we do and the variety of projects and depth of disciplines that we have working together can create such a phenomenal environment to further all our careers. Thank you for contributing to that while you were with us and best wishes with everything that comes next!

Awful

Engineers will denigrate you behind your back and give you criticism unjustly. Get out of this sinking ship while you can.Pay is poor, benefits below average, nothing good about this company.

Lots of pressure on employees to satisfy the clients with tight deadlines and unrealistic requests

Quality is sacrificed for quantity. Demanding clients are pressing the team with all unrealistic requests. Zero work life balance. There maybe “talks” about caring for employees but no realistic support.

Pros

Experience in many different directions, expand network

Cons

All work no life, stressful work environment. deadline after deadline

30 November 2022
Thank you for sharing, though it’s troubling to hear of your experiences. While every client interaction is certainly unique and can be challenging in unpredictable ways, we do have organisational resources in place to support you. Please reach out to your HRBP and touch base, as we value our employees having a healthy work/life balance and will do everything we can to support you.

Good solid company.

Interesting projects for good clients. Staff treated well. I enjoyed being given the opportunity to manage my own projects. On the other hand I would have enjoyed being associated with a team or unit.

Pros

Freedom to manage my projects

Cons

Worked in isolation - not part of a team

30 November 2022
Thank you so much for your review!We’re glad that you valued the latitude and independence that you had in your time at Arcadis IBI. It’s always good to hear the feedback about how we work, and hopefully you were able to share those experiences with your manager at the time.

Don't bother wasting your time with this company

I learned this company is every man for themselves. Nobody wants to help anyone. HR specifically doesn't care to help employees and is not there when you need it most. Often HR is missing and only comes out at select times to make false promises

6 June 2022
Thank you for your review. We are so sorry to hear that you didn’t have the best experience while working at IBI Group. Our HR Teams priority is to care for our employees, and we don’t like to hear that our team wasn’t responsive or helpful. The feedback is appreciated, and we will ensure going forward that we are providing the highest level of service to our employees.

I really enjoy working for IBI overall. The job is great and management is more than fair. I look forward to continuing with this great company! Highly recommend.

Pros

Great job

6 June 2022
Thank you for your positive review! We are so happy to hear that you have enjoyed your time so far!

I was at IBI Group from 1999 to 2009 and enjoyed my time there.

I was at IBI Group from 1999 to 2009 and worked in the IT and Systems groups. I learned a lot, had a time of opportunity and enjoyed my time there thoroughly.

Pros

Opportunity for advancement and learning

Cons

Some management needed people skills

6 June 2022
Thank you for taking time to write a review! Although you are no longer with us, your feedback is valuable, and we are glad to hear you had an overall positive experience during your long tenure at IBI Group.

Very relaxed and good opportunities to grow

daily meetings, you get a lot of opporunity to grow, and the people are great as well, other developers will help you on your way, and management is great as well

6 June 2022
Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your time at IBI Group! If there is anything you want to discuss in the future, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your local HRBP.

Used to be a fun and nice work place

This is a good place to start in IT, but as soon as you get the experience you need, leave. The team is great though, lots of nice people in this company.Upper management likes to keep low salaries compared to competitors, and when you have enough experience they don't appreciate at all. There's no room to grow here.

Pros

Good perks, cell and gym discounts. Pretty relaxed work environment most of the time.

Cons

So many directors/managers/PMs. No competitive salaries.

6 June 2022
Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the people you worked with during your time at IBI Group. In regard to compensation, our team is always hard at work ensuring our employees are paid within market value. Although you are no longer with us, your feedback is important!

Great place to work.

Great place to work. The people and the work is consistent with other companies in the industry. The people are friendlier at IBI than some other companies.

6 June 2022
Thank you for your positive review about your time at IBI Group so far!

not productive environment

many inexperienced staff without training and management. no clear job duties assignment from manager in result of poor quality products. There is no annual performance review and job security.

Pros

relax

Cons

no job security

27 April 2021
Thank you for your review. We are saddened to hear that you don’t think IBI is a productive environment. We take pride in the services we offer and the high caliber of products we provide our clients while we work together to define the cities of tomorrow. Open and honest dialogue between management and their teams is extremely important to us. We try to bolster this through our semi-annual Performance Review program by providing a structured opportunity for managers and employees alike to talk about performance and career growth openly. We regret to hear that this wasn’t something you participated in. All the best to you and good luck with your future endeavors.

No room for promotion

There are a core of old emloyees have control of company and no room for new emplyees to promote. In Rare cases promtion hapened but salary didn't chane. Salary is very low. No RRSP. No Raise.

Pros

Job Security

Cons

Low Salary. No Promotion

27 April 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. IBI Group always strives to give recognition to their hardworking employees, whether it be through our KUDOS program or when applicable, through merit increases, incentive bonuses or promotions. We appreciate the time and effort our employees put into their work and aim to reward them for that in a fair and measurable way. Where compensation is concerned, we have a team that is always analyzing market trends to make sure we remain competitive. Although you are no longer with IBI Group, we appreciate the feedback!

Toxic corporate culture

Architectural dept. recieves no support from Sr. management, and is passed over for prominent local projects in favour of Vancouver and Toronto offices. Sr. Architects led by Sr. manager forced to relocate to Calgary from Vancouver, and is unmotivated to lead, i.e: no team work, team meetings, feedback, positive motivation or collaboration. Toxic, stressful, silent, de-motivating environment. Hostile and confrontational Sr.Architects

Pros

Great location, stoic and friendly junior staff

Cons

Toxic, de-motivating, stressful, poor management

27 April 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you did not have the best experience working at IBI Group. We regret that you felt your manager was not supportive as we strive to hire and promote individuals with proven abilities to support their people in a positive way. We agree that there should always be open dialogue, whether through meetings and feedback, between management and their teams.. Our goal is to provide an environment that ensures our staff is motivated and productive. Being in such a deadline driven industry, there are stressors that come with that, but we want our employees to have as much work-life balance as possible. Although you are not an employee of IBI Group any longer, please know that we appreciate the feedback and will further investigate this matter.

friendly work environment

It's a good place for work and learn specially for the fresh engineers, friendly management, big projects. unfortunate no promotion will happen during the years.

27 April 2021
Thank you for your review! We take pride in being a global firm with industry leading architects, engineers, planners, designers and technology professionals. With this comes an environment filled with talented individuals and cutting-edge projects. Whether this is your first job, or you’re seasoned in your career, IBI Group ensures that you are always learning and gaining experience; whether it be through the managers, the types of projects we work on, or your fellow colleagues. Where career advancement is concerned, our employees have the opportunity for open and honest dialogue with their managers semi-annually through our Performance Review program and the topic of career progression is something we highly encourage at these times.

good learning experience

Management doesnt know how to retain good , sincere employees. Otherwise they have fun events. Social every last friday of the month. Stressful at times, but can have some relaxed moments as well.

27 April 2021
Thank you for your review! Retaining employees is of the upmost importance to IBI Group and we strive to do that through consistent salary review, growth opportunities, and fostering a healthy company culture. If there is further feedback on how you think IBI can do a better job, we invite you to reach out to your local HRBP. While virtual now, office socials were a way for us to thank our employees for their hard work and dedication and hope that once it is safe to return to office, will host everyone again!

Great workplace for self sufficient people

Don’t expect much guidance from upper management but if your have confidence in your abilities and can run a project independently this is a good firm. Junior staff can be moved around without notice making mid level management a challenge. Zero feedback on your performance so hard to tell if you are meeting upper management expectations. Overall decent pay, flexible schedule as long as your get your work done.

27 April 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We regret to hear that you feel you lack guidance and support from your manager. It is our expectation that managers are fostering an open line of communication with their staff. Providing feedback should be something that occurring on an ongoing basis and our semi-annual Performance Review program exists to bolster these types of conversations between employees and their manager. Please reach out to your local Human Resources representative if you would like to talk about this in more detail.

Productive, Flexible working environment

A growing company looking to keep pace and lead the industry into the future by utilizing all the available tools to make it happen. There is also a drive to make the company less of a service company.

27 April 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about IBI Group! We are always looking for ways to grow and stay competitive in this industry and we know that we can’t achieve that without the talent individuals we have on our teams.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBI Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement