IATSE Local 891

IATSE Local 891 Employee Reviews

Canada11 reviews
This company is more like working with your friends and family. Professional but fun and one of the largest collection of creative minds.

Although fast paced the days go by quickly, you get to visually see projects come together and take pride in seeing your own creative aspects take shape. One of the best places to have fun and make money.
The work involved is always challenging in the skills of carpenters to create things that look like things that aren’t made from wood but are. Every build has its own challenges and each set is different in one way or another so the use of specific tools is essential.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
productive workplace, great for learning and training, networking. I met a lot of interesting creative people. Fast pace and stressful, but great to make you motivated and dedicated.
I love being an entertainment technician, and have 25 years of experience. This is truly a skilled job when done properly. I’m not against newbies as we were all new once, but I don’t appreciate competing for jobs against a constantly revolving door of new hires. This is the only Iatse in North America that is constantly hiring. For example, in Toronto to do my job requires 10 years of experience vs zero days in Vancouver. Management claims this is due to natural attrition. However, it is actually due to a lack of seniority, over-saturating the crew, and creating an overly competitive and often hostile environment, where few truly succeed in the long term. The result is high turnover. Don’t believe me? Enter iatse in the search field and leave location blank in Canada and the US sites. 891 will be the only result.
Pros
Free food, fair hourly rates, creative minds.
Cons
Job security, ego, bullying.
The Iatse 891 union is there to get as many members in the union to make money of people paying their dues. There has been countless abuse situations at work that have not been handled well by the shop steward representatives. Dispatch does not call you to get you the work, you will starve if you rely on a call from the union. Overall, it’s been a frustrating, disappointing, stressful way to make a living. I do not recommend this job to anyone that has a family or let’s,
You will get worked like a slave, super long hours and there is a high risk of injury as per the long hours and fast set ups in different locations.
Excellent Benefits, good work environment. Friendly work culture, great pay. Fun and exciting projects. Opportunity for advancement, career development, training, and education.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Hard satisfying work and long days and pretty good pay but the best part is going home at night .I don't work for Local 891 ,I work through them and get called to work on Movies and TV shows as a Sculptor or a Scenic Painter or a model Maker.
Cons
every day that im on set i learn something new, sometimes it is difficult to stay up for the long hours but in the end it is worth it. most of the people on set are incredibly nice and super helpful.
Pros
great people
Cons
id not recommend this industry to anyone with trade credentials.
lots of politics involved with this industry and most are trying to claw their way up at the cost of others.
I happened to join IATSE 891 right as the busy season came to an end so i went three months before finding a new job, later on I found out it got busy again and managed to get a few days in between my new job but it just wasn't going to work out.
Pros
free lunch, on set experience, relatively easy work
Cons
Hours can run 12 and up depending on what is needed for the shooting day.
Production for fourteen hour days
Stress for everyone's safety

Many departments have to complete their work before you can complete yours

Your work depends entirely on the finished product for high sales.

Detail, detail detail

The many locations, and studios to work in and out of instead of a small cubicle.

The variety is a spice of life.
Pros
everyday brought a new adventure.
Cons
the simpliest job could be the most difficult.