IBM

IBM Employee Reviews for Technician

Subcontracting for IBM: Pros: documentation and call in support for contract techs is pretty good. Reasonable compensation for gas. Cons: Often had to drive an hour or more for a client. Drive time is not paid. Low wages for subcontractors.
Initially, management was all about the numbers which put a strain on the team because of the added and unnecessary stress. Management changed and so did the culture on the team for the better. For the remainder of my time there I really enjoyed working with the team of highly skilled techs.
You will never get any where with the amount they pay you, neither you will advance in your career. the management treat you as a tool to fulfill the client deadline.
At the time, what we did was fun work (worked in banks We did hardware upgrades in the evening when most of the bank staff were not there We spent a few hours doing the work, then we were complete - I did this a few times for a few months
This was my first job when I moved to Canada. This was my first Onsite job. IBM followed the ITIL Foundation which made the transition from working with Hewlett Packard previously very easy for me. IBM were very focused on strong communication. What I took from this position was the ability to adapt to new technologies quickly.
Pros
Professionalism and Working Environment
Bad company to work for now. Managers could careless about client sat and are all about making short term stock gains. Its sad when a company thrives and then makes terrible decisions that affect so many hard working people. This company is not moving in the right direction.
no pay increase fur low for every month to make budget target. pay wont increase because. Always increasing work load with increasing hours, always being lied about job secuirty
Working at IBM has been a great learning experience, everyday new challenges can occur in repair troubleshooting and it is enjoyable to find new ways in order to complete the repair. I've always enjoyed working with my hands involving technology so this job as furthered my experience in that aspect/field. A normal day involves the repair/refurbishment of various ABM and CRU components as well as the occasional pre-staging of said machines for various customers. The management at IBM are filled with experienced and understanding staff who have a very business oriented mindset along side a good understanding as to utilization of various staff talents to ensure productivity is at its greatest potential. They are mostly friendly people who do not sacrifice work ethic but still maintain good relationships with their staff. My co workers are well rounded people, with technical/mechanical minds and backgrounds who offer their valued experiences and expertise to our area. The hardest part of the job is working around the lack of certain components needed to repair/refurbish the parts, often resorted to salvaging, but its nothing too challenging to work around. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of successfully repairing the parts we have available to work on, knowing I've contributed to the production and found suitable solutions to overcome difficult scenario's.
Would prefer to work here again and also trying to join back in after contract ended. The work is usually small and starts later so its easier to get to, usually left alone to do what you need to and head on home.
Pros
Small work and good hours
Cons
Command Center is very hard to get a hold of
lots of thing to learn creative ,challenging opportunity. Nice company started as material handler and they give me chance to prove my ability
i have learned many product that IBM produce, etc System X servers and laptops and many more. i am working with friendly team members who learn and teach each other in many ways, hardest part of job is time fram of due dates and its is manageable with help of team members.
usually you go to work, check the assigned task and start working on it as per you capability, sometimes same task is done by different guys or sometimes a single individual has to work on various tasks. management was very cool minded and always used to surprise us. toughest part was the approval of the project by clients. tea breaks, lunch breaks and game breaks.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
sometimes has to work on weekends
Remove and install new computer terminals, debit terminals, modems, routers etc.Includes working alone and as part of a team.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
on-call part time