IBM logo

Work-life balance
Pay & benefits

Found 14 reviews matching the searchSee all 30,775 reviews

Mediocre Experience

Complex reporting hierarchies within Global business services team at IBM with expectations that weren't commensurate with ground realities. Once hired, as a consultant I was placed on a specific project for a finite time. The discrepancy between my salary and what IBM charged the end client as professional services fee was huge. The benefits of working as a consultant within GBS weren't that great - typical 2 week vacation with minimum health and dental benefits. IBM's coaching/employee review model was ridden with bureaucratic styled red tape - feedback on a consultant's performance was gathered from many bosses - Delivery manager, project manager, profile manager, team lead, and end client. This rendered the review process to be elaborate and ineffective - the model lacked the spirit and intent of coaching and feedback. Work assignments lacked collaboration, and employees were silo'ed into cubicles within sub-teams/teams/departments - an environment not conducive for teamwork.

Great place to work!

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 2 years Pros Loads of information to learn and grow. Depends which wing one gets a job, work culture changes from one dept to the other.. generally, they do not micromanage. Expect employees to be responsible. Do not expect a good bonus. One can negotiate a good salary though. IBM GBS is the services wing and the work culture and over all atmosphere including bonuses depend on how. Cons Too process oriented and hence slow for innovation. Advice to Management Make processes leaner

Good place to start

Good place to start. Company culture have changed over the years. Performance evaluation and compensation structure was designed to save company money.

"be thankful you have a job"

I was part of a group that had been outsourced to IBM from a customer as part of a contract. From the very beginning it was clear that we would be giving a lot up. Our benefits weren't as good. Our ability to bill for overtime changed from time-and a-half to straight time, and then it was removed altogether. We would work overtime hours and BILL these hours to the customer (our former employer), but we would not be paid for this very same overtime. This does not make for a happy work environment. When IBM celebrated a major anniversary, there was a barbecue. Before our team could attend we received an e-mail telling us there wasn't any food left. If you are a contractor at IBM, be aware that they love to furlough contractors at short notice for weeks at a time.

Pros

Free parking

Cons

No hope for advancement.

Three stars out of five

- Flexible schedule and work location - Lots of training programs - Very hard to get a raise - There are projects where you get to learn little skills.

Pros

Lots training programs

Cons

Yearly increase not really competitive.

OK for junior employee

It is a great company to start your career with. But after you reach intermediate level seniority, please leave the company. They will not give you salary increment or promotion.

Corner Stone

Joining IBM at my early age was a corner stone in building my professional character, learning the benefits of well constructed process, standardization and team work.

Not the same as 2 decades ago

Perks and benefits have come down a lot since the 90's, but fairly good job security once you have your foot in the door and you prove yourself to management.

Only Name Remains Now

IBM = outsourcing every possible job outside Canada, to make more and more money for upper management and shareholders. WHO CARES about CLIENTS. I feel pity for the clients who pay hefty amount for support and in response they get nothing.

Pros

Exposure to Enterprise Environments

Cons

They expect you to put in more hours and NOT PAY

They don't care

This company was a fantastic place to work before the mid 90's. They started to only care about the bottom dollar and not the employees. They took away so many great benefits. They set targets well beyond anything that could be attained. They made billions every year but didn't reach the targets so packaged people out quarterly.

Jobs at IBM

IT Technician positions
See more jobs

Flexible work env

Nice to work with. Flexible work culture. Very less salary. Job security very minimum. Very good learning exp. Lot of certification programs. Good exposure.

High maintenance

Hard to advance. Very competitive internal environment. Good culture of learning so there are great opportunities to learn. However, compensation is relatively uncompetitive relative to the industry.

N/a

Its and OK place to work. Lots of extra hours without the overtime. Skills and Hard work dont matter. Should have good relationship with your manager to have pain free work life.

Productive, lot of learnings, less payscale

IBM is one of the best places where you would like to work if you want to learn new products and technologies. Salary is not so great but at the same time the learning from the company is really very high.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

10.4K