Hydro One

Hydro One Employee Reviews

Canada242 reviews

ontariounionsafetysalarynetworkprojectworkplacecontract

Great people

Hydro One is a great place to work. Takes a little time to find your footings….Spend time getting to know individual groups within the company. Although it is a large company, networking within is a great idea - find advocates within different groups.

Excellent place to work

Totally enjoyed working for Hydro One and will take a Hydro call anytime. Safe organized enjoyable place to work. Chance for advancement as I made sub Foreman then Foreman

Insights into Hydro One

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Poor culture. No training or ongoing support

Toxic positivity. A lot of "we are the best and doing the best for employees". Zero in practice. Lots of politics and outdated rules. Inefficiency all the way, no inclusion or communication from down to up in the lather. Very poor technology. Majority of staff don't have emails. No one knows what they are doing but they are there for the salary. All day meetings, repetitive meetings with people not knowing why they are in the meeting very often. No training or support for new employees. Sink or swim! But smile, we are must embrace the positive.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Everything else

no full-time, you're expendable

Toxic work culture, nepotism, back stabbing, lying, rumour mill, and favoritism. Multiple fatalities at the company in the last 10 years due to neglect. Poor leadership, poor work culture and appreciation for employees. I use to be proud I worked here. I wouldn't recommend being here to my enemies. Very one sided they never offer you full time, the divide between full-time and contractors is disgusting. The company culture, managers and leadership is an embarrassment and TOXIC!!!! If you speak up for yourself, or against any authority you're blacklisted and your career is over.

Pros

If there were management cut them from my line of business long ago

Cons

Long hours, reporting away from home and family, no full-time opportunities, multiple fatalities due to neglect no accountability for management

Productive, laid back and exciting place to work

I enjoyed my internship experience with the job. Although I only worked virtually I was provided with all the technology essential for my role. Lots of guidance provided by supervisors and an inclusive atmosphere all around.

Great work environment and colleagues

Worklife balance is great along with other perks. Management is very helpful and understanding. Everyone seems to be very knowledgeable and willing to help on their spare time.

Meh

Really depends what position you’re in. In office / customer service you’re constantly micro managed and there is no room for growth. I’ve been with the company for almost 8 years and I am still in the same position I was when I started. No training has been provided to excel or branch off.

It was grate to work out side and lurn from the forester

I tried to do the line apprenticeship but I failed the test and the teacher's at the time told me to go back to school and lurn how to read.Then I went to work for the forestry department.

Safe and great learning company

Great place to work really good people and willing to help you .long hours work in all weather. Deal with customers daily.they give you proper tool for job and concerns about everyone going home at end of shift very safety orientation

Enjoyable professional atmosphere

The training was great and so were all the staff. The work atmosphere was excellent. You could apply for other jobs for advancement when they came up.

job Work-life balance place

Hydro One is very nice place to work. Job work-life balance is very good. All the employees are very cooperative. salary is also good as compare to other places.

Stressful - paid well

Took 9 years to be offered a permanent position. Worked full time 99% of the time. Clearly needing the position on a full time basis. Patience will be your friend. The end goal is worth the painful wait.

Good and bad

Hydro One is a good place to work if you are unionized. If you are non-union ("management"), then the level of job security or advancement opportunities is not to be assumed as there is a high turnover with senior management and every time that happens, the wheel is reinvented and reorganization happens. Leadership always makes room for their cronies and family members at the expense of long-time, dedicated and admired management employees. It has happened to many admired folks who have been there for years within a few years of their retirement which is unconscionable.They promote health and safety as their #1 priority for employees but it is lip service and most of us that work there know it. They waste a lot of work time from employees to attend meetings where they discuss subjects that are common knowledge (how to back into a parking space, protect yourself from ticks, sit in a chair properly) and spend incredible amounts of money in salaries (400+ employees?) for an entire department where many do not have any health & safety experience. Hydro One's #1 one mandate is to provide return on investment to their shareholders.

Pros

Above average salary, decent benefits, good union support, hybrid working options for non-field staff

Cons

Nepotism is rampant (no policy against it), senior leadership, bureaucracy, union promotions are based on seniority versus experience, a lot of travel time away from home for field employees

Greta place

Great place to work employers enforces collaboration though Covid has bought on many challenges in the organization they are trying to adjust and move to a hybrid model.

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

Good team to work with

Hydro One is a stable place to work with good job security. The team I worked with was very supportive and collaborative. Work-life balance was really good as well.

Pros

Good job security

Cons

Sometimes frustratingly slow progress on projects

Overall solid internship experience

I enjoyed my internship experience with Hydro One as team members embrace a friendly working culture. There is nothing too demanding or is it too fast paced.

Productive and fun place to work

Excellent company to work for! Hydro one we are like a family and take care of one another. Fast pace work environment and must be able to work as part of a team and also work alone! Hydro one believes is diversity and allows for growth within the company. Access to online course gives you the confidence to utilize your skills.

Always getting mixed signals. Hydro thrice

Working at hydro is all about your crew. It's very clicky. If you get along great otherwise, you may hate your job. Getting material can be challenging/impossible or easy depending on your Forman.

Pros

Pay is pretty good

Cons

Lots of travel, can drive an hour each way

traditional corporate management

- good work life balance - good job security if you are looking for unionized company - poor training - stagnant company- hard to move up in management

Good work life balance

Challenging and interesting days for the most part. Great coworkers and good environment, the management team can sometimes micro manage your time and work. Great benefits and good pay.

Pros

Good hours and benefits

Cons

Seniority based job

Great company

Worked for many companies but this was the best to date. Great pay, 35hr work week, relaxed work environment. The office location was perfect as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hydro One. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement