Hy-Mark Employee Reviews

average wages, but horrible company to work for!
Sheet Metal Installer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 January 2018
Average pay & benefits.. The management and office positions are filled with people with no real trade or field experience, so they have no idea what they are doing. The few management that do have a clue what is going on all have 20-25 years in, and are just waiting for retirement, and openly joke about & state this to employees. Company terminated multiple injured workers as soon as WSIB cases were closed, and does not properly accommodate injured workers returning to work. All things considered, NOT a good work environment.
Pros
pizza partys, coffee and donuts almost daily for office employees
Cons
oblivious management, ignoring needs of employees
GREAT company
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Office3 August 2017
I have worked for Hy-Mark for several years. Great people, great benefits, comfortable work environment.
We focus on core values, one of which is having fun. There are company wide events, baseball & hockey games, afternoon BBQ's and socializing (even ice cream trucks).
If you want to advance your career, the company offers a $1,000 per year for each team member towards their education. Career Pathing is available if you want to move up in the company, you can job shadow to see what career interests you may have.
The company is family owned. They invest in our future.
My goal is to retire with Hy-Mark.
Pros
Core Values / great people / great benefits - family owned
Cons
Longer working hours
Hy-Mark cares about it's Team and it's customers!
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON21 July 2017
Driven by Core Values Hy-Mark is more than just a place to work, it is a place to grow and develop. The team supports each other and is always there to help.

A safe environment were people are treated with respect and kindness and doors are always open for candid conversations.

Truly a special company.
Pros
Core Values, great team
A company defined by its core values
Project Team Member (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 May 2017
Every company will be different, but what i appreciate about this company was the fact that they gave me an opportunity to join their team based on my ability to fit into their Core Values and not so much my academic qualifications. There's great team work, everyone is respectful and friendly and there are always great social events (potlucks, sporting events, charity events etc). Like any industry, construction has its slow and peak time, so you have to be up for the challenge. That being said, i am glad for the opportunity to be part of their team!
Pros
Great Benefits & work perks, positive atmosphere, family oriented
Cons
Typical slow-times of the industry
Not the place to work!
Plumber Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 April 2017
This company is all smoke and mirrors, managment will tell you one thing but turn around and do completely different, all jobsites are a mess and hardly to be considered organised. Benefits and work perks are good but job culture and communication are sub par at best. They talk the talk but cant and wont walk the walk. Recent management change was one of the worst things that's happened to this company now there's really no sense of direction other then down. Lots of great trades guys work here but management and office staff totally ruin the experience.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Short hours, Bad jobs, Unorganised. Poor communication
Best Place I've Ever Worked
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 April 2017
In my experience, Hy-Mark is a gem not only in the industry but compared to any workplace I've ever experienced. They are led by Core Values and they are more than words on a page. All employees are respected and treated fairly, and I don't know anyone who here who doesn't have fun at their job and likes most of the people they work with. Like anywhere workload increases during busy times and decreases during less busy times, but management is committed to finding places for people rather than letting them go.

Salaries are competitive. Excellent health benefits package and additional perks like $250 Health and Wellness dollars/yr, $100/yr workboot allowance, all PPE and safety gear, site clothing is provided to employees for free. Hy-Mark has a standout corporate culture for a trades company because they are owned by a larger organization. There are plenty of career development and advancement opportunities are available, including allowances for employees to take additional certifications, job shadowing, career planning, etc.

A place for people for good attitudes who can be team players. People who can't handle those Core Values will be cut.
Pros
corporate culture, supportive management, salaries, benefits, perks, resources provided, positive environment, professional
Cons
lack of technology
Great Place to Work
Plumber (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON3 April 2017
All the haters are ones who didn't fit the values. If you don't want to work, or have no desire to improve yourself, then Hy-Mark is not the place for you. If you want early days and want to sit in the van while others do the work, stay home. If your skill level matches that of a pre teen, and your attitude matches, dont bother.
If you want to work, be treated fair, learn to be a better tradesman, want to work with awesome people, want to be compensated amazingly, and just have a great time doing it all, Hy-Mark is the place to be!!!!
Pros
Fun, amazing wages, safety driven, family company, awesome benifits.
Cons
Hard work ; )
2 weeks and I was out
Sheet Metal Worker (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON17 March 2017
I was told it was a four 10hr days, and maybe the odd short day Friday. It turned into 50 hours of work plus travel time not paid for to home. Than a week after I was hire they announced they are moving one hour away from my home and would have to drive there in morning. When I raised concern about the hours and not informing me of the move at time of hire, they said I was not a good fit and let me go. So much for their core values.
Great pay and benefits but not strong management
Plumbing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 November 2016
Recent management change has negatively affected the company, job security and morale. Pay and benefits are very good.
They only need you when your busy Once you get caught up your not laid off..Your fired
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON28 May 2015
Horrible Place too work, Never seen anything soo backwards, Completly Unorganized, I have never met A happy employee at Hy-Mark , Someone always getting shafted. Benefits are good But very poor management..
Benefits
Cons
Unorganized, poor managment, lack of Pride and workmanship, Lack of credability, Lack of Communication
Positive place to work
Commercial Estimator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 May 2013
Management and team members were great to work with.
Everyone was working with each other to achieve a positive outcome.
The company's core values are great, that is one of reasons why I want to join their team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hy-Mark. Our community is ready to answer.

Hy-Mark Reviews by Location