Huron Consulting Group

Huron Consulting Group Employee Reviews

Solid place to start career

Great consulting company to start career - may not have the big name like some other firms, but you get a ton of solid experience doing a variety of work that is transferrable pretty much anywhere else. Generally good people - I never felt any sort of cut-throat nature and genuine felt supported and cared about by my managers, coaches, and peers. A little low comp but decent benefits including a quarterly $750 visa giftcard when you meet a certain travel threshold.

Pros

Nice people, good opportunities, top performance rewarded

Cons

Average/lower than average comp, generally less interesting/strategic work

good workplace

strong management and growth opportunities. lots of travel and support for new staff. easy to move around and explore new areas and industries of clients

Direct Managers were often good to work with

Your direct manager (project and coaching) was usually a good person to work with. They tried to help you develop as a person and a professional and took the time to work with you in issues.

Culture Is Changing

The culture has changed a lot over the last 2 years. Should consider increasing compensation across the board to keep people from jumping ship. No different than any other firm now in terms of work life balance and pressure.

Excellent organization to work for

Fast paced, purposeful and worthwhile. Lots of exposure and opportunity to solve and scale complex issues facing organizations in healthcare, education and life sciences.

Good company that does care about employees.

A really good company that cares about employees and clients. They have multiple ways to advance. Opportunity to move to other areas and jobs. Great benefits.

Glad to be gone

My experience has shown Huron Consulting Group, otherwise known as Huron or HURN, cannot be trusted. They break promises and they take advantage of people. Apparently, that is how they keep their positions at the company.My experience does not necessarily mean that will be your experience. HURN is a large company. HURN is a public company. It would be practice to review the history if you are considering employment there.

Pros

helping clients

Cons

dog eat dog, untrustworthy

Great People

There was a definite sense of belonging, for immediate team all the way up through senior management. Huron regularly asks for feedback and they actually act on it!Lots of training and ability to move around in the company. Felt very supported.One drawback, they hired a new offshore team and ASSURED us they were not going to replace our current team. Then covid hit and the natural attrition rate dropped from 15% to 0%. Layoffs happened; 27 people from my team, zero from the offshore team - in fact they continued to hire for that team.Not the first time they have over hired then gone through layoffs.

Pros

Great people and great culture, The company is always striving to be better, They value imput from employees at all levels

Cons

Say they are transparent but refuse to release results of a gender/pay study, Have a history of hiring too many people then heavy layoffs.

Huron has a been a great place to learn, grow, and work with talented individuals.

If you are someone who is motivated, hard working, and enjoy solving problems, Huron is a great organization. I have worked with many companies over the years and appreciate the strong positive culture at Huron. It can be a demanding environment, which is why I choose to remain here. I am proud of the work that we do in the healthcare and education industries and our technology and innovation teams are highly regarded.

Pros

Our people and strong culture

Cons

no organization is perfect, but nothing that would motivate me to seek employment elsewhere.

The reviews are accurate.

After working at Huron for their Tech consulting team, it is clear they lie in their interview process. They expect you to be a slave and take belittling comments from them as a new hire. I guess hazing is part of the recruitment process. The fact is, the managers and managing directors hate their lives as they are truly slaves to the dollar. They don't care how it gets done, as long as it gets done. My team for being "so experienced" was wildly unorganized. The grass isn't always greener folks. Keep your current job if you can.

strong leadership, high performing culture

Huron is a fast-paced work environment filled with individuals who actually live the company's values and culture. There are a variety of opportunities across the nation and world. Leaders care about the development of their team members and provide additional responsibilities and career shaping to support individual goals. Huron offers an excellent benefit package competitive with top organizations. We feel cared about at work, and we enjoy what we do.

Pros

salary, Pto, professional development, purpose, values, leadership, trust, inclusion

Cons

Heavy workload

GoT Huron edition

good if you were a panhellenic greek. otherwise RUN! very toxic to anyone else who isn't part of the clique. "self-taught experts" is the model there.

Great culture with meaningful and challenging work opportunities

In my experience, Huron's greatest differentiator is our culture - the environment is genuinely collaborative and your project + service line leadership are invested in your growth. So many of our clients are repeats - the approach is to really build a partnership for lasting transformation, not just do the bare minimum of the SOW and leave. There are also good, challenging work opportunities. If you're good, you'll get opportunities, even if you're young. Base pay is competitive, if on the low end of the market, for most titles. That said, bonuses for strong performers are above market average and the work/life balance is much, much better than market. The benefits package is also great, especially health insurance and 401k match. Diversity and inclusion are valued and being taken increasingly seriously...Huron has a way to go yet on being a truly diverse working environment (as does the entire industry), but there is a real desire to do the work to get there. The only caveat is that each practice really has its own environment - I'm in EDU and stand by all of the above, but I know the experience is not the same in HC, ES&A, or Corporate.

Pros

Culture, benefits

Cons

Lower base pay

no growth of career

no growth of career. very old technology. hectic work hours, more than 12 hours shift. Management doesn't care about the employee. No HR policy. Employee use and throw policy.

Pros

tea, wfh

Cons

hectic work hours, more than 12 hours shift

People's experience may vary widely

Huron's top management seems to want Huron to be a good, progressive company that values its employees. That filters down into the actual culture within the company very inconsistently. Huron is very cliquish so to be successful you will need to find some clique that accepts you. Huron does not have managers/supervisors per se but rather coaches. It is very important that your coach likes you so you need to put a lot of effort into making sure that person likes you even if you don't really feel you have much in common with the coach or that you have common values. Coaches will be the ones that 'sell' you to the organization or let you kind of wither on the vine. Some coaches are great advocates for their coachees, others are not very attentive at all. You can change coaches but that can be tricky because if your coach feels like you rejected her/him they might actually work against your career progression. You may have opportunities to learn a lot at Huron. You just need to be careful to align with some clique and hopefully a clique that can help you advance.

Good Benefits

Good Medical insurance selection, good dental selection, good vision selection. 401k available. Transit benefit deductions available. Close to Union Station. Close to Blue line stop.

Productive and fast paced workplace

People are super friendly and helpful. Consulting is a fast paced work environment requiring one to work on multiple projects and attend to ad hoc requests and multiple fires.

Nice place to work, nice folks, leadership needs help.

This was a good role, until some company re-organization and down-sizing due to "flat sales". As soon as they moved me under a Jr. leader, my time at Huron ended.

Pros

Nice view from downtown.

Cons

incompetent engineers that don't know how to write documentation, or some how rationalized that it's okay to never document anything. Abysmal.

Could be great if hours were realistic

Management is typically more concerned with hours than productivity. They are proud that most salaried employees are there at least 52 hours a week, even if those hours are not all productive. Get the job you want going in because they *refuse* to look at your resume or past experience if you want to move up (or laterally) in the company. You have to put in extra hours to prove experience outside of your current position to advance or move to another department even if you have years of applicable experience from other companies. They are also insistent that this is typical and 'everyone does it that way.'

Purposeful Work

Enjoyed the challenge of matching our capabilities to the needs of the client. Use of evidenced-based tactics supported the branding of the company. Peers are very smart and supportive.

Great place to start your career

Good launching point for a career in healthcare. New York City location is great. Projects are varied and interesting. No complaints overall, thought it is consulting so you will eventually want to move on.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Huron Consulting Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement