Humane Society of Durham Region

2.0Pay & Benefits
2.6Job Security & Advancement
Excellent work experience
Full-time Animal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Whitby9 November 2017
Excellent experience in the animal care field, great place to start out at but not so great to work for long-term. Only part-time work is now currently available.
Hardest part: Being expected to work outside of shift hours with no pay, concerns not being addressed by management, and never receiving any kind of recognition for being a dedicated and hard worker.
Most enjoyable part: Being able to save a life and make a visible difference in an animals life. Being able to help an animal in need and helping them find their future forever home is extremely rewarding.
Pros
Animals, Excellent Co-workers
Cons
No recognition for hard work, expected to work outside of shift hours without pay, terrible organizational and communication skills
Rewarding Experience
Shelter Service Agent and Administrator (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON19 August 2017
Helping the animals and growing with this organization was amazing. I enjoy working for the Humane Society of Durham Region and enjoyed working with both animals and staff there.
This was the best co-op experience ever!
Co-op placement (Former Employee) –  whitby, on14 August 2015
I am a huge animal lover, so I was in my glory when doing co-op at the HSDR. The employees were nice and were patient with me when demonstrating the proper procedures on dealing with the animals.
Pros
being with the animals all day
Cons
I have really bad allergies, so I eventually had to pull out of the placement due to severe allergy attacks.
Kennel Staff (Former Employee) –  whitby, ontario6 June 2015
overall day, clean, feed, medicate animals in the morning before opening, once open i would then talk to potential adopters, take them through the shelter, provide them information on the animal they are interesting in, interview them, have the, fill out an application, and go from there. hardest part would be losing a animal the most enjoyable would be giving a family a new family member and watching a animal leave into their new loving home. i learned to have great communication skills with customers, how to hand the customer.
Pros
Being around animals and meeting new people every day
Cons
losing a animal