Hudson's Bay

Hudson's Bay Employee Reviews

Canada224 reviews
I really had an amazing time working for Hudson’s Bay. My co-workers were super friendly and helpful. The former managers i used to work with were very chill, but recently the management has been pretty bad and we’ve been understaffed. Also, it was difficult working with the cash register since it’s outdated and old.
Pros
Good enough breaks, co-workers
Cons
Management, understaffed, cash register is old
Management needs a lot of work. The loss prevention manager can either make or break the team. For the money they pay you and the amount of work you do, its not worth it. Many risks related with this job.
Pros
Can waste time
Cons
Bad management / company
Recently due to COVID 19 the company has had a very hard hit as they had to shutdown the stores temporarily for 2 months. That has lead to a lot of firing in recent months, but not for the sales Associates. Mostly it was management level. However the hours have been cut for fulltime employees 3 times in the past months and sales targets have been increased even though there hasn’t been enough customers for all the associates to begin with. It’s okay for students to be working at minimum wage only, but for professionals it’s extremely hard to survive like this! Wouldn’t recommend working here now!
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Poor management
Awful management that is constantly changing and getting worse. Growth opportunities are lacking and there seems to be constant restructuring (so NO security, or a false sense of security, and employees are treated as disposable). Divisive environment with no team spirit. HR is disorganized and often unresponsive. Don’t do it, it’s a pig with lipstick.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Everything else
They force you to push their credit card.
My supervisor put me on the floor without any training.

They won’t even let you go to the bathroom.

$13 hourly.
I thought this company is a solid one however it is the complete opposite. I have never seen a company that is poorly managed like this . No wonder people are in and out quitting. The biggest problem they have is internal however I don’t think they want do something about it . Anytime you wanna address an issue they just don’t take you seriously. If you do need a cash then go ahead and apply but it is not worth it for the stress , the best decision I have made was leaving this company.
Pros
Good place for people getting into the work force. Growth is limited and wages are at industry standard when working at store level. It is a fast paced and every day is different.
Working at HBC was a great experience for me. I worked as a sales representative in the Kid's department and had an amazing chance to learn so many new skills. All the employees were very friendly and treated everyone with respect.
Overall, satisfied with the work. But, one thing I don't agree with is their lack of professionalism. The job was a seasonal position, and on the very last day the management didn't take time to say goodbye or thank you.
work life and personal life are balanced , management can get temperamental for the smallest things , and feels like you're walking on eggshells sometimes. Staff is amazing to work with .Just not enough hours to give you cause they are slow at most times.
I've learned a lot at the company especially how to work at fast paced environment. Also, I got experience in customer service and became familiar with Canadian work place.
older managers in the company are great, new managers are usually not the best.
mostly co-workers are nice to you until something happens and they turn on you. :)

hardest part of the job- dealing with all the gossip
I primarily worked in the men's department, and everyone who I worked with were exceptional at their jobs. Between the great blend of personalities within that department, as well as their abilty to work as a team, coming to work felt more like hanging out with family.

With that said, coming to work was difficult. trying to convince myself that four hour shifts were worth driving 30 minutes there and back while only earning minimum wage was no easy task. It also didn't help that it was common knowledge between every department that the possibility to get promoted were slim to none. In my two years of working there, the only promotions I witnessed went to someone who earned it, and someone who didn't deserve it. The only reason they had gotten it was so another department "didn't have to deal with them anymore."

In terms of the management, all but one of the managers were absolute saints. They would help on the floor, and they saw eye-to-eye when it came to customer-employee relations (which was comforting).

Overall, I think it's a good place to work at if you get lucky enough to get the right group of coworkers.
Great management. very friendly colleagues. you are not just a number but one of the important member of the company. opinion and problems are easily accepted.
Work at Hudson's bay is really fun. I get to complete all my responsibilities in time without any pressure. All my days spent in Hudson's bay were pretty good. My co-worker and managers are pretty cooperative and always help if there is any need.
The management and co-workers are absolutely wonderful. Very welcoming and safe environment to be. Hours are pretty flexible. Great events and employee incentives!
A very friendly atmosphere were all the staffs work collaboratively for the betterment of the company. Offers excellent consumer service. Exceptional teamwork were all the staffs care about each other and support each other as a team. Very approachable management.
Cosmetics department was full of expressive collaborations, wonderful team to work side by side, fun and friendly. Constant organizing and laughter while we work.
An awesome place to work during festive seasons . One major con is your hours are cut once the store slows down with customer which is quite understandable.
Not a safe, clean, or enjoyable place to work. This job is stressful, dangerous, and you don't know what to expect when your working at the bay. The money that they pay is not enough for the amount of work that is required. HIGH turn over-rate. Furthermore, upper management is not diverse. The managers who work in the store do not care about LPO's, they only care about SALES so they can get their bonuses. Don't expect them to help you if you are in trouble. This is the only store where LPO's have to close the store gate and set the alarm for the store. If the store closes at 9, you will have to stay an extra 30 minutes to close the store. It's a dangerous job because you will have to work alone, especially if you work full-time. The shoplifters that come to the bay are not scared of that scared of the LPO's and they will USE mace on you. Most of the LPO's have been MACED two or three times while working. They expect a lot from one individual. The worst Hudson's bay to work at is the Sunridge and downtown locations because they are very dangerous.

The only good things about this job are the hours, and sometimes the other employees you meet at the store. You should apply somewhere else before you think about working here. Only work here as a last resort.
A typical day at work would include greeting customers and helping the choose merchandise they are looking for. Providing excellent customer service is essential to the business and sometimes you have to know what to do to understand the customer's point of view. Hardest part is to listen to people's rants and staying quite. Easiest part is to show the customer what they are looking for and fulfill their need of shopping for the day. When a company reaches it's peak / maturity of business, it tends to do a lot of things that shouldn't be done, and that's what has happened. At the end of the day, not a place for long term career.