Hudson's Bay
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Hudson's Bay Employee Reviews

Fun place to work with great people, but low paying

I love all my coworkers at the Bay! Super great people to work with. My only issue is low pay. They don’t offer incremental raises or even raises based on performance or experience which is a bummer. But if you need a job and don’t mind making minimum wage or slightly above, I would recommend! Would honestly be great for someone who just needs a part-time side job! Overall the culture is good, it’s a fast-paced retail environment with some down-time too. Everyone who works at my location is lovely.

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, employee discount

Cons

Low wages, can be high-stress

Good for Temporary Work

Worked over Holiday Season processing online orders Great teamwork in a very busy department Min Wage but plenty of hours Actual workspace/room could have had a larger footprint considering the large volume of orders processed

Woah

All in only a few weeks of working for the Hudson's Bay in Kelowna, BC, I found out the unprofessional business practices- Late pay after giving them the right paperwork - Don't pay commission for the weeks of the start date and the commission number they give you for working in cosmetics doesn't work until working for them a few weeks- Make it really hard to feel awake at work and felt exhausted after being scheduled to work six days in a row (they will only give two days off if you work 6 in a row) and tried scheduling me to work 8 days in a row- Although the management come off very friendly and excited for you to be there.. you find out it is very poorly managed, chaotic, and poor till training- Little to no time for preparation or promotion of the new promotion they are marketing, we have to call each person to let them know that their is a new promotion, every time.- Barley any staff on the floor, customers coming from different departments to pay for their clothes as the line ups are long- employees, including management very stressed and over-worked- They expect you to sign up for the Neo Credit card if you want a staff discount

Pros

Friendly co-workers

Cons

Everything else

Nice People, Not enough of them.

The computer system is antiquated. It crashes. It’s slow & painfully inefficient. Staff quit because no matter how proficient they are at their job… No raises. They also have no proper training program, sink or swim is the only way to describe it. The pros at my location are the people. I genuinely like my co-workers & store management. I use to truly love working here, not enough good things to say. Now, there is never enough staff in the store. The schedule is constantly in flux & even for “full time” staff, you don’t get enough hours to make it your only job.

Pros

Great co-workers, good discount

Cons

Erratic hours, lack of raises, lack of training

Horrible job experience

I worked at Hudson's Bay downtown for a few weeks and quit right after because the management was horrible. There wasn't enough training, no one taught you how to close the cash register, do sales returns, etc. If you do something wrong, they will literally call you out in front of all the costumers. They don't care about you, they only care about themselves.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Long hours/Toxic/Rude

Dont Waste Your Time!

Firstly I would like to say that I've been working for the Bay for at least the past 3 years. Things have changed drastically because of the pandemic. There is absolutely no training for sales associates. They basically throw you on the floor its either you sink or swim. You have to learn things on your own or by asking other colleagues to show you what to do. They basically force you to get IC daily and forcing you to sell their credit card to every single customer. There is a major problem with upper management in the Hudson Bay high turn over rate. You get an employee discount but only if you sign up but only if you sign up for their credit card. So you basically feel forced to get their credit card just to receive an employee discount. There are absolutely no health benefits at all unless you are full time. I would encourage the Hudson Bay company to update their cash registers Is to modernize their stores.

Pros

Good colleagues, employed

Cons

Low wages, bad management, no room for advancement, no benefits

Workplace

I worked part time at the Bay for 5 years - many times with full time hours during busy seasons. I personally liked working at the Bay, I enjoy the public. The only Con is low pay and standing always.

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Low Pay

I was seasonal at Hudson's Bay, and I enjoyed the time I spent there. Friendly co-workers, nice management, and overall great work atmosphere. Love the variety of departments you can work in.

Pros

great work atmosphere

Cons

no benefits for part time workers

Productive and rewarding

It has been very quiet in the retail industry. It’s a fun place to work but there’s not too many customers it’s especially rewarding when I make commission on my sales.

Pros

Free lunches

Family like atmosphere

Helping customers with locating and item or completing a transaction. the managers are really relaxed although they push you to upsell they are not rude or intimidating and they listen and ask for suggestions. The hardest part is dealing with rude or irate customers and the best part is hearing a customer say thanks for your help.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

uncertainty in today market

It sucked

Management doesn’t care about you. You can give them your availability but they don’t follow it. Customers sucked and are very entitled. The only good thing is the discount because there’s so many different brands at the store.

Pros

Discount

Cons

It’s not a very good place to work

Poor management, lack of team leadership, counter manger are not trustworthy, lack communication skills, working team unity and cut throat commission throw under the bus colleagues with bad stabbing and lies.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Bad schedules

Lacking in a lot of areas

I worked at the Chanel counter at Hudson’s Bay downtown Vancouver for a few months. The pay was barely higher than minimum wage which in Vancouver is impossible to live off of. The work environment is very toxic, the staff were the coldest team I’ve ever met, and that’s everyone who basically worked at the beauty counters. The team was not a team, defend for yourself basically and steal people’s sales was what was happening. I had gone back to school 3 days a week and they expected me to work the other 4 days there and weren’t even open to hearing what I could work I basically had no choice in the matter.Brutal place to work I only stayed about 4 months because it was so toxic and bad for your mental health. I would stay far away.

Pros

Can’t think of one.

Cons

Horrible staff, horrible pay, no benefits, no choice in schedule

The worst retail environment to be in

No team spirit. Counter managers are cut throat. Cosmetic managers are not professional and lack leadership and training. Not a good place to be in.

Pros

Stay away from this place, not good for your sanity

Cons

Schedule sucks, entire store is a dump, store needs massive renovations. Bad environment for your health. No air circulation.

fast paced at time and then slower paced at other times

I found that the job training was not good, they put you in a department and expect you to you about each product,, and mind you there are many products to become familiar with. management was not always supportive of the employees and would take the side of the customer

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

not enough training

Really bad

Terrible company to work for, management treats you like dirt, Talk to you like your an idiot, talk to you with disrespect. You’re expected to be everywhere at anytime, don’t train you on everything and get mad at you when you don’t know something. Treat you like you’re dumb when you ask a question. My mental health seriously deteriorated since i started there. I worked there two years and finally left. Don’t recommend lol

Pros

Co-workers

Asset Protection Investigator

Management needs a lot of work. The loss prevention manager can either make or break the team. For the money they pay you and the amount of work you do, its not worth it. Many risks related with this job.

Pros

Can waste time

Cons

Bad management / company

Good experience

I really had an amazing time working for Hudson’s Bay. My co-workers were super friendly and helpful. The former managers i used to work with were very chill, but recently the management has been pretty bad and we’ve been understaffed. Also, it was difficult working with the cash register since it’s outdated and old.

Pros

Good enough breaks, co-workers

Cons

Management, understaffed, cash register is old

Used to be a good place to work at

Recently due to COVID 19 the company has had a very hard hit as they had to shutdown the stores temporarily for 2 months. That has lead to a lot of firing in recent months, but not for the sales Associates. Mostly it was management level. However the hours have been cut for fulltime employees 3 times in the past months and sales targets have been increased even though there hasn’t been enough customers for all the associates to begin with. It’s okay for students to be working at minimum wage only, but for professionals it’s extremely hard to survive like this! Wouldn’t recommend working here now!

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

Poor management

Don’t!

Awful management that is constantly changing and getting worse. Growth opportunities are lacking and there seems to be constant restructuring (so NO security, or a false sense of security, and employees are treated as disposable). Divisive environment with no team spirit. HR is disorganized and often unresponsive. Don’t do it, it’s a pig with lipstick.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Everything else

Terrible

They force you to push their credit card. My supervisor put me on the floor without any training. They won’t even let you go to the bathroom. $13 hourly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hudson's Bay. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement