Hudson's Bay Company

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Slow paced, but can get busy at peak hours. Employees can freely communicate with one another.

Not much employee benefits in terms of dental/health if you are part time. Co workers make it manageable to get through the day since you are always servicing customers. Most managers seem to be open to employees and it helps to have interpersonal skills. Good employee incentives and better than other department stores.

Easy Part-time Gig

Great introduction to a retail environment. Gain exposure to interacting with customers, to learning different systems (cash register, fulfillment, sterling), and to working as a team to deliver outstanding service. Like any job, there are always things that can be improved to keep your employees engaged.

Pros

-Friendly and helpful team members (sales associates), Flexibility in adjusting part-time schedule, Shorter shifts due to COVID

Cons

COVID screening customers at the doors, Commission structure, Old malfunctioning cash register systems

Good for short time working for experience

Good for short time working for experience.Paying is minimum wage.Working hours not good.Weekend time working .you have to be available for work all time

Pretty simple job, working cash register and tidying the clothing displays.

The job mostly consisted of work the cash register (the machines were far out of date compared to modern registers) and tidying clothing displays. Occasionally I would close the cash registers which was difficult to learn.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

I really enjoyed the people I worked with only.

I really enjoyed the people I worked with only. In regards to the amount of customers that we’ve had complain and go through the store on a daily basis the pay should be a lot more

Cons

Pay, and Management

No job security

Not the best company to work for. Initially I was hired as a sessional employee and during the interview I was promised to be given a permanent position after my contract ends But they never did that and I feel betrayed. The excuse they had was "It was not the boxing day we expected"

The worst company to work for

No vacation no break no days of as employees want no race at all minimum wage working there is just not a good place they don’t treat there employees good at all

It was fun working with fellow employees. The management however lack empathy.

The Hudson is an iconic store. The have a great variety of brands. They have a rocking beauty department. Over the The Bay should hire more sales to assist customers during peak times offer better pay and benefits. Management lack interpersonal skills. They should be retrain on how to communicate using kinder word in this current climate.

Pros

There discounts to the Bay and Saks

Cons

You’re not valued as a employee

Decent place to work

I didn’t have a terrible experience working here, but it wasn’t amazing either. I was a seasonal associate and they did offer opportunities to stay on as a permanent employee after the season, which was nice. However, when I got hired it was a bit disorganized and management didn’t inform us of issues that were happening at the time regarding our paycheques, and we had to figure it out for ourselves. Most employees were really nice, however there were a few that were really rude and liked to talk down to you, even though they were in a different department. I think working here can be a fun experience, just depends on the management and your coworkers.

Pros

Never bored, Opportunities for advancement

Cons

Rude coworkers, Lack of communication

Good stepping stone

I wouldn’t recommend a career here but if you’re looking for an easy going job it’s definitely that. Main problem is the pay.

Pros

Good work environment

Cons

Pay

The company has a great culture and they respect their employees.

Even if the salary is not significant, the company makes sure the employee is respected at any time, their management team is amazing and very professional and trained.

Pros

Discount for employees if you get the credit card only. Great management.

Cons

Long shifts standing.

It's a pretty calm place to work at not too stressful.

Overall, it's a nice enviroment, cleaned up everyday bathroom, mostly nice people.My only issues is they are not fans of consistent communication online.This is honestly my most frustrating thing about this job is their lack of communication when you have to ask something online. Emails just get ignored. Just recently i was told my contract ends soon and my last day is friday but my schedule doesn't show anything for me to know when to come in for the last few days i have, so i emailed them 3 times (once to store manager and 2 to another one) and all were ignored. They don't plan on renewing me either.Again the workers are nice (most of them) but there's a pretty negative vibe i honestly get from some of the managers (not all).Also when you have an issue with your badge (stolen or lost) and they say they'll get you a new one, you can bet 2-3 months down the line they for sure wont get back to you on giving you one (probably because they may not like you and plan to rid of you soon enough.

Pros

nice people cleaned bathrooms calm enviroment

Cons

lack of communication no benefits no replacement for badges

You’ll need to have thick skin

If you’re an individual that can clock in expecting to be given conflicting messages and put your common sense in your pocket at times then give it a try. Depending on what store you work at and who’s leading, expect to go from hero to zero over night multiple times. Loyalty is not recognized like it used to be so don’t plan on a long term career unless you’re a person that can stay under the radar of those who see you as a threat to their own goals and growth. Good starting point though to learn the difference between valued employee and just another number.

Pros

Learning how to interact with multiple people and personalities

Cons

Power tripping, minimal practical support and work life balance can be a challenge.

Worst experience ever

Definitely not recommended, the worst experience ever. A Group of highly incompetent people are in the senior management. No Diversity and inclusion. No support what's so ever

stressful

the only reason i'm giving this company three stars is because of the people I met. the managers were extremely sweet but they expect a lot from you especially when there are a lot of people who don't come in.

Cons

no wifi, employee discount only with their mastercard

great

the place was very nice and mangment was kind. hours were rough and sometime people were kinda rude but overall nice place for a first job. I do reccomend knowledge of the field

Stressful and very micro managerial

Corporate and Executives : No trust, very micro managerial. Hi stress. Poor communication to stores with constantly changing directions.They try and build a culture via email and memos.No caring about their people in their stores, but they do great and virtue signaling that they do in initiatives.

Pros

Easy to get hired

Cons

Demanding stressful workload

Stressful

Required a lot of sales volume, stressful, work-life not balanced, highly competitive, co-worker always have conflict, toxic environment, if you are good in sales, you can earn commission

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Micro-management

Good starter to get into the security field

Good experience to get as a starter in the security field. Awful pay rate and what's asked of you to do is not worth what your getting payed. No chance to move up unless you have been there for 4 years plus.

Great entry point for understanding fashion industry

A typical day starts with deciding the items that will go on sale. You are required to put up signboards near merchandise indicating sales. Management is very nice. Employee suggestions are incorporated readily. I like the scanning and tagging part.

Pros

Great Associate discount

Cons

Required to be standing for a long time

Excellent co-workers, very supportive

For new staff, Co.-workers are very helpful in showing you how to operate cashiers and where products and inventory is. Customers are great too. Oh and Management is pretty good. Overall a good atmosphere.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hudson's Bay Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Hudson's Bay Company with