Hudson's Bay Company

Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

Canada1,946 reviews

Found 1,946 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,346 reviews

Ok

Ok job, sales associate nothing special. Do your work and you will be fine. Customers are ok, not much to say there. good for student job or part time work

Nothing to add

Not recommended to work for a company that does not stand up for their employees. No help furthering your hard work to reach the top and management unfair to certain people

Insights into Hudson's Bay Company

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Human resources administrator

Worked for the company for 18 years in management and eventually in HR. Work to home life is difficult with retail but was paid fairly for position. Was difficult to take time off when needed.

Workplace tools and store need serious updating.

People cannot live in Victoria on minimum wage. Store is always short staffed because of this. Customers are very frustrated by this and express their dissatisfaction to the sales associates. Embarrassing to sell high end merchandise in dirty environment.

sales associate

good place but needs better management. Always there is lots to do, and they like people that can be trained in different areas.the pay starts from the minimum wage and increases very little every year.there is a lot of instability and uncertainty about what it will happen to the stores. they let go a lot of the full-time employees before the pandemic.

Pros

discount

Cons

better management needed

Good place to start your career

I work two part time jobs and working at the bay is less stressful .The team is very nice and supportive if you are willing to work and learn .Hours are usually flexible

Good retail opertunity

Working at Hudsons bay was a great retail opportunity and learning experience I enjoyed working there and also getting to wear all black and whatever else that matches. However during Christmas times and busy times of the year it was pretty stressful management was all right but wasn’t really welcoming to wanna do you wanna time off. Great environment friendly staff to work with good learning place especially if you are looking to expand in retail otherwise a Great experience and would definitely recommend working there again or someone else

Productive and busy

Very busy, nice management. Too bad the pay is low and no benefits.Good team work and overall everyone is just very hush doing their jobs.Bayshore is quite busy too.

Good but not fun work place to work on, a great chance to meet various kinds of people

A good place to practice your customer service skills. Someone who loves doing make-up and greeting customers will love this job. High turnover rate from COVID, but there are some spaces to grow and get promoted if you like the job you are working on.

Pros

Long hour lunch break

Cons

Dramas everywhere

Great place to work!

Great place to work. Good culture and management. A lot of room for growth and moving into a new role/opportunity in store or corporate office. Good employee discount.

Great coworkers

I really enjoy working here, all the coworkers are super patient and willing to help with anything. Working with customers can sometimes be a fine line, since some policies we follow and others we do not so it's always important to ask before you do anything "special" for a customer (ie. returning etc)

Great team and supportive management

Overall it’s a great company for work for. I’m lucky to have an amazing team and a very supportive management. The work-life balance is great. Just the pay that isn’t great, but the benefits for Full-Time employees are very good.

Pros

Great Work-Life Balance

Cons

Low Pay

Good for university students to have as a part time job

They make you ask customers to sign up for credit cards.Work can be slow and boring with nothing to do on some days but they still expect you to keep busy.

Pros

Diverse culture and flexible for part timers

Cons

Poor management and no HR

Pretty nice place

Overall, it was a nice experience. They over-hired for my position but they made up for it. You make great friends but sometimes employees can be stand-offish due to cliques.

Pros

great people

Cons

no organization

Interesting place to work

Forever changing and keeping up with the times. I have been through so much with this company and have seen it evolve. My day basically consisted of pre store opening, which would be set up and get ready. Once the store was open we'd make customer service our priority. Closing, where there would be specific procedures for the end of the day. The most enjoyable part of the day were the interactions you had with (for the most part) amazing people and staff. The hardest part of the job was trying to maintain a good work ethic when you were consistently being browbeaten by your "superiors".

Good place to start your career in retail.

I had a wonderful experience working at HBC. Great management and positive environment. I highly recommend to anyone wanting to improve their customer service skills in retail as you come across with different situations everyday. Also you'll get good exposure in developing and improving various soft skills.

Underpaid job

I have been working at the bay for so long, and I thought I will get a compensation after I work for a specific time but instead they just increase the wages with the minimum provincial wage increase every year and consider it compensation.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Underpaid

It's a job

Staff were great. I enjoyed my time working at this location. Management changed a lot. Customers were sometimes REALLY great other times not so much but that customer service for you.

Target was too high

I don't know who to sell things to with such a high target. You will feel that your efforts will not be rewarded in money at all, but employee discounts are the only motivation for my work

Stressful environment with not enough employees

Working here was very stressful as they don’t have enough employees to get the job done well. Management is also very stressed which gets pushed down to their employees

Pros

Competitive salary

Cons

Work life balance

Average, understaffed company to work for with poor management.

Average, understaffed company with minimum pay and no benefits. Bad managers in a high pressured full-service department that was constantly understaffed. One manager was difficult and non-supportive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hudson's Bay Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement