Hudson's Bay Company Employee Reviews

Found 1,447 reviews matching the search See all 1,693 reviews
Horrible Management and work conditions
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 November 2018
I worked as a warehouse associate for the HBC through a temp agency for three months and had a horrible experience. I mostly walked around the warehouse picking online orders or processing products shipped to the warehouse. The work conditions were horrible and management never cared to improve them. There were several times while processing products that I would see rats throughout the warehouse around the products and insects crawling on articles of clothing and other products and we were still told to process them and give them to customers who order online. The workplace is very competitive and had goals that were impossible to meet while supervisors would barely train us and get upset when we would make mistakes that could have been avoided with the proper training. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Cons
Long hours, horrible work conditions, rude supervisors
Une journée au La Baie
Associée aux ventes (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 November 2018
Une journée au La Baie peut être longue.
J'ai presque rien appris de nouveau appart personnaliser mon service à la clientèle.
L'aspect plus difficile c'est de rester debout toute la journée.
L'aspect agréable est quand que tu travaille avec une bonne équipe.
Pros
horaires flexibles
Cons
aucun avantage social
Productive and excellent job experience.
Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  North York, ON15 November 2018
Hands on experience with accounting, and use of many various computer programs, as long as learning to balance budgets and other accounting related job description.
amazing work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 November 2018
Ive had the opportunity to work for a big company like Hudson's Bay for many years, and all I have to say is I aways look for the opportunity to go back to them whenever I can, this has been one of the most gratifying jobs .
Pros
great hours
Cons
was a fair and fun enviroment
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 November 2018
worked at flag ship store downtown Vancouver and it was always busy sold beds and custom furniture. commissions were fair and staff was awesome as well as management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON13 November 2018
- friendly, family environment, good work ethic and environment
- - most enjoyable part of the job were the people you worked with
- learned a lot about retail business and how things work behind the scenes
Pros
good break timings
Not a place to call home
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Vancouver Regional District, BC9 November 2018
i was so happy when i got the job at the bay, it was the job i worked for to get. i have never been in a company that has no training for a manager, where theres no support, and if you fail its all on you. where its okay that your general manager talks bad about you instead of build you up. i was broken and discouraged when i left that job. i literally had to re think and build myself. after that job. it was terrible to go to wok and feel like you were being judged and not supported, where no one wanted to help you because they were over worked, and grumpy all the time! it was just all bad, actually thats a lie my team was amazing, they had heart an worked hard for me.

if you love retail and customer service please stay away from this company. its not okay to have a heart or to care for your team they see it as a weakness, not a treasure.
very educational
Assistant Supervisor / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2018
As one of my first retail jobs, this was an excellent learning ground to deal with customers face to face and tend to all different types of personalities. It was an enjoyable work experience overall.
Very fast past workplace
Buildings Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2018
I spent many years there starting as a supervisor and was doing the management roll in the last 4 years. It was a very large multiplex property. working as the middle man for different owners I learned very well how to work professionally with management. I also learned the needs of the different type of buildings on the property.
great job
Counter Manager, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2018
I really liked this. great hours and flexible. I would recommend this to people who would like to work in EAP. Opportunity to advance with in the company.

Want to know more about Hudson's Bay Company?

Ask a question
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 November 2018
The hardest was managing with so many different managers. Most enjoyable part was finding great deals before customers. The hardest part was working the late shifts, getting off at 9:30pm.
Pros
Located in the mall
Cons
Hours
productive workplace
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC29 October 2018
really liked working with the Hudson bay crew members. manager was really nice . had a great time working at Hudson bay . most enjoyable time was during Christmas as it gets really busy .
Pros
learned about customer service
hudsons bay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON28 October 2018
I was happy about the overall experience but I was not happy with my pay. I felt that I should have been paid more for the job I had to perform. Was happy to develop my customer service skills
Great place to work at!
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 October 2018
Very friendly staff and nice managers! It is also very flexible in terms of availability and booking days off! Can be little tiring during busy season but it is really fun working there
Good company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 October 2018
As sales person you were always busy either fixing the merchandise,servicing someone on the floor or being at the cash.
The fun part was that you got to meet a lot of different people and
enjoyed the employee discount on all purchased.
Pros
Good company discount
Cons
Hectic at times
customer service associate
Associée au service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC26 October 2018
You will make friends and if you are a positive and kind your team will love you, the only good part about the job is the people you will meet ...however management is bad, they are so money focused that they forget basic humane ethic + plus creates an uneasy atmosphere. They will make you come only for a 3 hour shift while you are paid minimum wage... Good for high school students only. If you are a university or college student dont waste your time here. You can do better
Pros
breaks, co workers
Cons
management, salary, pressure, small shift
Productive, Competitive, Fashion driven
Dept. Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK24 October 2018
Multiple departments make it a fun environment to work!

Rewards program is very good.
Very good culture, family feeling.

Canadian history, trading posts, great lesson for years to come.
Pros
Canadian started
Cons
Sold to American Co.
very interesting and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 October 2018
my typical day at work would be all about making sure my departement is always clean and organized also making sure to approach and help every customer
Big store with many departments
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK23 October 2018
It was a great work place, but my regret is that I have not received training during my term there, which could have improved a lot of different aspects of my employment. Otherwise, it was very professional environment which i really enjoyed.
After three months, I've had enough
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Québec City, QC22 October 2018
It was my first job ever, and I was really excited. My colleagues are super nice and really supportive. I made friends and great encounters.

However, it's really hard to reach sales goals and satisfy clients when there are so little employees on the floor. We're always understaffed. We barely have time to fold the clothes because we have to assist the costumers so the department looks messy as hell all the time.

You can be the best at your job, but you'll never get any compliments from management. They don't respect their employees at all. They think HBC is your life (even if you work part-time) and they don't care at all to over schedule you.

You get no benefits at all from working there; it's minimum wage and a 25% discount but you have to get the HBC credit card. No other stores do this, it's ridiculous.

I've not even been there from three months, yet I already quit. I'm not the only one who feels this way and other resignations from my colleagues are on their way.

Although I'm thankful towards HBC for giving me my first work experience and experience in retail, I'm really disappointed.

I hope they fix those problems soon enough because you can't treat people so poorly.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Understaffed, Management, HBC credit card

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hudson's Bay Company. Our community is ready to answer.