Hudbay Minerals

Hudbay Minerals Employee Reviews

Many long term employees in a union environment express negative thoughts towards a company. If you are focussed on goals and attrition it may be a struggle in the current environment. If you can focus on your goals and accept everyone isnt always focussing on the greater good, then this company offers a comfortable income for your efforts.
Pros
Steady employment
Cons
Negative culture
Was a good place to work before the 2015 strike, after the strike they treated the strikers like garbage. Management is only there to protect staff and not the hourly. Was personally forced to quit this brutal company! My suggestions don't bother!
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Hudbay Manitoba is a company operating at least 20 years behind everyone else. Work conditions are poor at best and safety is not taken seriously there. Advancements are based on previous friendships and family relationships and not skill or abilities. There is very little oversight from superiors in almost all areas I have witnessed. If you are looking for an easy job with almost competely abscent, inept supervision, this is the job for you. If you have ambition and standards for quality and safety and pride in your abilities, this place will drive you crazy.
Worst place to work. Racist management, poorly planned work, no room for advancement. Camp food is terrible. Apartments are way over priced. Nothing to do in town for families.
Pros
Leaving at end of shift
Cons
A good company to work for. The people are very nice and very community based. Still growing since they found new and long term mineral deposits. There safety needs improvement but that is on the forward rise for them. From day one I was included in major repairs and was given the ability to show my skills and work very hands on. Management could use a bit of work but there is minimal tools for them so they do struggle. It does seem to be getting better. All in all if management used newer,updated techniques on management, this job would be rated one of the best jobs I've had
Pros
Great people and atmosphere
Cons
Remote location
right now a typical day involves walking the picket line everyday with no end in sight and its time to start looking for work after 3 months of strike
Hudbay was once the heart and soul of the communities it is established in, but now HudBay would rather not put money into the communities that founded in. Hudbay has stopped contributing its main cash flow source and invested millions on infrastructure and such in Peru.
Pros
There is always mechanical work because all they run is old decreped machinary.
Cons
Unorganized managment, threats of being shut down or locked out year after year.
Typically the day will start with accident and incident reports being read out loud to the department to inspire safe work, since I was in a maintenance department we would then go through jobs that need to be completed and then sent off to do them in whatever order you decided to do them, (unless there was an urgent job). Management was very polite and professional. My co-workers taught me so much about the operation of the mine and the instruments we worked on. The hardest part of the job were slow days, while working maintenance if you work hard enough and nothing is breaking down your day can turn into a crawl real fast. The most enjoyable part of the job was being taught by my co-workers how to do things, and different methods of how to do things.
Pros
There is lots to learn, and many people that will teach.
Cons
Mine lifespan questionable.
steady work, not many issues with layoffs or anything. home everyday. not sure if other mining companies run this way but always seems to be a fight between union and management, not a lot of working together on issues. Lots of outstanding grievances that just sit on the table without getting dealt with.
Pros
Home everyday
Cons
management
-typical day at work involved taking trouble calls and troubleshooting many different challenges. -I have had a great experience working underground in mines and on surface in the mining industry and feel I can take on any job offered.
Kept us busy learned a lot about the industry there saw more than just the exploration side of things some tickets for safety training management was ok co-workers were good people
Spent most of my time in the zinc plant doing many different jobs, until the cell house closed and was transferred to the smelter, where I operated the forklift in the copper anode......hard work but learned alot. I enjoyed working with a great group of people and got along well with them.
Day to day work involved carrying a pager, cell phone and 2 way radio. On call 24 hrs/day 5 days a week. Stressful situations involving fire and emergencies. Responsible for 50 employees on a bad day.Those working for me directly are the greatest employees you could ask for.The most enjoyable part of the job was the respect from my boss when my crews did an outstanding job.
Pros
limited supervision
Cons
supervising cleaning staff
Great working environment and people. People just focus on solutions and not on problems
Pros
no pressure at all
Cons
very isolated location
A good place to work overall, the wages could be a little higher for the isolation.
Worked as advisor for the mining aspect of the Constancia project. Experience with the company is limited
good easy work but wages are low compared to the rest of the country.
Pros
easy work
Cons
low wages
work at least 11.5 hours a day for 7 days and 7 off, then 7 nites.i like working underground and being a part of making the wheels turn . i feel that i manage to learn something new every day and this keeps my interest .i feel i work well with fellow workers i do enjoy working 'ot'. helping co-workers do there jobs is usually the easy part and me being a happy worker makes them scratch their heads. i do like change and variety and an accomplished job
Pros
free coverals and gloves
Cons
over time, 7 days on, 7 days off