Hudbay Minerals

Hudbay Minerals Employee Reviews in Flin Flon, MB

good wages / good benefits 12 hr shifts or 8 hr shifts laid back work environment great town if you like the small town feel
This in a mining company in northern Manitoba and is an isolated community and that has it's drawbacks. The company use to be really involved in the community, but as much anymore.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Hard work.
Hudbay is in a small, close-knit town, so its super easy to get to and from work each day. People were very welcoming to newcomers. Thought I was going to stay a year but I've been here 8 now!
Pros
Compensation
The Job comes with a lot of sacrifices in other areas of your life, but is an opportunity to gain experience and make a high income. If you are a person who enjoys small town and outdoor activities the sacrifices will not be felt as strongly.
Hudbay is a medium sized company that started out as Hudsons Bay Mining and Smelting. The culture has changed from being paternalistic to that of many of the bottom line is all that counts mentality. They have fired/retired many experienced people and replaced them with cheaper to hire inexperienced people. Canadian resources are dwindling from this decision.
I enjoyed working for Hudbay Mine and the workplace culture was positive. It was a informative position and lots of different aspects to the position. I would refer someone to apply here.
I work steady days with weekends off, salary and benefits are very good. The equipment we have here is some of the best there is to offer. I enjoy creating new things from just thinking about them. It’s a very respectable work environment with a good management team.
Pros
Steady days weekends off
Cons
Sometimes we have to travel to other work sites
Competitive wages and benefits, excellent and talented workforce. Work/home balance is great. Shift hours are great. Community is great. Frontline management is superb but top end is... lacking.
typical day at work: fighting fires(slang for breakdowns) hardest part of the job is getting there in the morning management:depends where you are, some have it together, some are a joke advancement? not likely.
Cons
pay
Dealing with mining people for their costs and analysis and solving their accounting and budgeting issues. Providing timely and up to date cost reports for mining departments.
Pros
Lower living costs
Cons
Far north
Hudbay Manitoba is a company operating at least 20 years behind everyone else. Work conditions are poor at best and safety is not taken seriously there. Advancements are based on previous friendships and family relationships and not skill or abilities. There is very little oversight from superiors in almost all areas I have witnessed. If you are looking for an easy job with almost competely abscent, inept supervision, this is the job for you. If you have ambition and standards for quality and safety and pride in your abilities, this place will drive you crazy.
right now a typical day involves walking the picket line everyday with no end in sight and its time to start looking for work after 3 months of strike
Hudbay was once the heart and soul of the communities it is established in, but now HudBay would rather not put money into the communities that founded in. Hudbay has stopped contributing its main cash flow source and invested millions on infrastructure and such in Peru.
Pros
There is always mechanical work because all they run is old decreped machinary.
Cons
Unorganized managment, threats of being shut down or locked out year after year.
Typically the day will start with accident and incident reports being read out loud to the department to inspire safe work, since I was in a maintenance department we would then go through jobs that need to be completed and then sent off to do them in whatever order you decided to do them, (unless there was an urgent job). Management was very polite and professional. My co-workers taught me so much about the operation of the mine and the instruments we worked on. The hardest part of the job were slow days, while working maintenance if you work hard enough and nothing is breaking down your day can turn into a crawl real fast. The most enjoyable part of the job was being taught by my co-workers how to do things, and different methods of how to do things.
Pros
There is lots to learn, and many people that will teach.
Cons
Mine lifespan questionable.
steady work, not many issues with layoffs or anything. home everyday. not sure if other mining companies run this way but always seems to be a fight between union and management, not a lot of working together on issues. Lots of outstanding grievances that just sit on the table without getting dealt with.
Pros
Home everyday
Cons
management
-typical day at work involved taking trouble calls and troubleshooting many different challenges. -I have had a great experience working underground in mines and on surface in the mining industry and feel I can take on any job offered.
Kept us busy learned a lot about the industry there saw more than just the exploration side of things some tickets for safety training management was ok co-workers were good people
Spent most of my time in the zinc plant doing many different jobs, until the cell house closed and was transferred to the smelter, where I operated the forklift in the copper anode......hard work but learned alot. I enjoyed working with a great group of people and got along well with them.
Day to day work involved carrying a pager, cell phone and 2 way radio. On call 24 hrs/day 5 days a week. Stressful situations involving fire and emergencies. Responsible for 50 employees on a bad day.Those working for me directly are the greatest employees you could ask for.The most enjoyable part of the job was the respect from my boss when my crews did an outstanding job.
Pros
limited supervision
Cons
supervising cleaning staff
Great working environment and people. People just focus on solutions and not on problems
Pros
no pressure at all
Cons
very isolated location
A good place to work overall, the wages could be a little higher for the isolation.