Hudbay Minerals

Hudbay Minerals Employee Reviews

good wages / good benefits 12 hr shifts or 8 hr shifts laid back work environment great town if you like the small town feel
An excellent team to work with. I worked under contract in the projects group and even though I got cut due to cutbacks I felt that I was treated somewhat fairly.
A great place to work. You feel fulfilled with every job that is complete. Great working hours and camp is a great place to stay, with clean rooms and great food.
Good Experience, Good Company. Rock Breaker at Lalor Mine was a good learning experience & it was my first time underground. Breaking rock (ore) through the grizzly.
Management were awesome. I have learned alot while as a labourer at the Mill in Snow Lake wish I had child care for my children otherwise i still be there and I have put my name back in with Hudbay and hope to get a office position.
This in a mining company in northern Manitoba and is an isolated community and that has it's drawbacks. The company use to be really involved in the community, but as much anymore.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Hard work.
Hudbay is in a small, close-knit town, so its super easy to get to and from work each day. People were very welcoming to newcomers. Thought I was going to stay a year but I've been here 8 now!
Pros
Compensation
The Job comes with a lot of sacrifices in other areas of your life, but is an opportunity to gain experience and make a high income. If you are a person who enjoys small town and outdoor activities the sacrifices will not be felt as strongly.
Hudbay is a medium sized company that started out as Hudsons Bay Mining and Smelting. The culture has changed from being paternalistic to that of many of the bottom line is all that counts mentality. They have fired/retired many experienced people and replaced them with cheaper to hire inexperienced people. Canadian resources are dwindling from this decision.
I enjoyed working for Hudbay Mine and the workplace culture was positive. It was a informative position and lots of different aspects to the position. I would refer someone to apply here.
I work steady days with weekends off, salary and benefits are very good. The equipment we have here is some of the best there is to offer. I enjoy creating new things from just thinking about them. It’s a very respectable work environment with a good management team.
Pros
Steady days weekends off
Cons
Sometimes we have to travel to other work sites
A typical work started at 6:30 AM in the morning meeting room. Then after the supervisor gave his safety briefing he told us where he needed us and told us to have a good, safe, productive workday. The hardest part of the job was honestly working in the summer heat as it got really hot at times. When the days where +30 degrees Celsius, the general Forman would get Gatorade for everyone. So all in all it was a awesome place to work.
Pros
Free Gatorade
Cons
Dealing with the hot summer sun.
Good mine with a work culture of production, responsibility and cooperation. Colleagues and seniors are helpful and a great place to learn while earning.
Pros
Reasonable with excellent benefits, amicable work culture
Cons
advancements do not come so frequently
Competitive wages and benefits, excellent and talented workforce. Work/home balance is great. Shift hours are great. Community is great. Frontline management is superb but top end is... lacking.
I've worked with hudbay for the last ten years. I've had great training, lots of opportunity for advancement. A top notch mine rescue training program. Over all a greAt place to work
If they like you, you could get away with almost anything. When they went after someone it was no hope. The management was chaotic. No communication between crews. Often cleaning up others messes and over worked. I learned a lot at Hudbay and I appreciate it. gave me skills in the mining industry with confined space and crane training. And dealing with heavy equipment. Being over worked or not giving the proper tools or safety procedures in place when given a task. I enjoyed the people the most; my co-workers. Trying to keep it lighthearted in stressful or aggravating situations.
Pros
Camp
Cons
Over worked and crude management.
typical day at work: fighting fires(slang for breakdowns) hardest part of the job is getting there in the morning management:depends where you are, some have it together, some are a joke advancement? not likely.
Cons
pay
the small community is very welcoming and friendly, with mostly everyone working for the company. the remote community is beautiful and great for the outdoorsy types. the remoteness also has the con that it is a 7 hr drive from a major city.
Pros
Good work experience and development
Cons
Remote location - 7 hrs from major city
Dealing with mining people for their costs and analysis and solving their accounting and budgeting issues. Providing timely and up to date cost reports for mining departments.
Pros
Lower living costs
Cons
Far north
Had trouble with local employees and local shift boss, always got the no good job, less paying jobs. Was always made to feel unconformable and preference always giving to the locals.
Was a good place to work before the 2015 strike, after the strike they treated the strikers like garbage. Management is only there to protect staff and not the hourly. Was personally forced to quit this brutal company! My suggestions don't bother!
Pros
Steady work
  1. Employee reviews