HRG Worldwide Employee Reviews

working from home.
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 February 2019
working from home was very good experience. I grow and learned a lot from HRG I wish I should counted working with them.
very positive and helping. HRG is a great company to work with.
I should sign for permanent but that timeIi choose one year contract.
I feel bad for me now.
Pros
some time.
High Stress and Low Pay
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 October 2018
If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I went to college for Tourism and Hospitality Management and was actively seeking a job as a Travel Agent when I stumbled upon a job posting for HRG. I should have taken the numerous postings as a red flag but I was so full of hope. Just a heads up: they are constantly hiring FOR A REASON.
I survived there for about 5 months before I threw in the towel. The stress was high and the pay wasn’t nearly enough to compensate for the poor quality of life due to the job. Here are a list of reasons of why I quit:
-shifts are typically 9 hours a day unless they tell you:
a) you’re being held for an hour overtime
b) they cut your hours because it’s the slow season

-you get called down to the dirt by upset clients. I’ve been criticized, yelled at, and hung up on. Other agents have been told to go “kill themselves” by clients. And if you hang up on them or say you refuse to help them until they calm down and speak to you respectfully, you will lose your job. No joke.

-adding on to the above statement, there is zero protection for the employees from the company. Emotional abuse and harassment from customers is just a daily routine and considered part of your job to sit there and take it. The company DOES NOT have your back - only the bottom line (ie. money) matters.

-much of the time, you spend the calls on hold waiting for a support team to help you with an issue or waiting for an airline to resolve something. It’s frustrating for both the client and you.

-the company is ALWAYS changing policies and procedures.
  more... Emails are always coming in with new directives and it’s aggravating for the clients when you don’t know how to do something or something has changed.

-STRESS. There’s loads of it. You are not allowed to take breathers in between stressful client calls, as you are being recorded and monitored. Every call you take or make, and every word you say is being carefully scrutinized by “the powers that be” which are not even in office.

-Higher Management, support teams, schedulers, payroll, etc. are ALL located outside of the office. And in my case, outside of the province. If you need to call in sick, you don’t contact your immediate in-house supervisor, you have to call a “hotline” and speak to someone (usually in Ontario) to let them know, then they email your supervisor. Seems kind of silly.

-new recruits come in monthly because many people don’t last very long in the high-stress call centre environment. The turnover rate is ridiculous.

-the systems are always glitchy. For the clients AND for employees. When the site goes down, clients call the centre, but the FLAs run on the exact same system so the office system will be be down as well. Customer complaints ensue.

-if you hope to advance in the company, good luck.

-the stress of the job plus sitting all day long caused me to gain a lot of weight. I had headaches almost every day. I was also miserable and cranky - even at home. Job related stress affects every part of your life.

-the last straw for me was being humiliated in front of my service training class because I was 2 minutes late (because my bus never showed up). My trainer chewed me out in front of everyone even when I tried to explain my situation. That just added to my already overflowing stress level. Not very professional AT ALL.

-BUT HERE’S THE KICKER - after 3 months you get vacation time. If you don’t plan on being there at least a year, DON’T TAKE THE VACATION TIME, IT’S A TRAP. Seriously. I took a week vacation in July and a week in August. I resigned in September. My last pay was taken by the company to cover the vacation pay I was paid out previously. Never mind that I needed that $400 to pay my bills. They clawed back ALL OF IT.

So there you have it. All the reasons why I left this job that sounded too good to be true. Even though they stole my last paycheck, I have a MUCH better quality of life and my stress levels have lowered significantly. Applicants beware.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, free coffee
Cons
Stressful. Just about everything
Great company to work with an outstanding manager.
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 September 2018
Great company to work with an outstanding manager. Friendly people. They offer great compensation with good hours of work. The management always tries to provide help when needed.
Dynamic Team
Corporate Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 September 2018
There's a very good vibe and for a big corporation, they treat you like a real person and not just a number. There is a big emphasis on teamwork.

The hardest part would be that the workload can be quite heavy since we handle multiple accounts.
Enjoyed working over there
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 August 2018
Working there a good experience. The coworkers were great, the training was well put together. Always positive energy working in the office. Working from home made it a little hard to feel connected with the team.
Pros
Suprise snak or treats friday
Cons
Hard to work from home
Worst Job Ever
counselor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver18 June 2018
It was too good to be true, having college training for a career in travel and a job at hand with decent benefits. But, you are locked in for 9 hrs of your day working from home. No commute time, but nevertheless, you remain stuck indoors for much of the day. Often times, you are required to put in overtime which could extend past an hour. The travel industry is becoming more challenging than ever, and, as a FLA you must deal with clients who hate banks and airlines and you are there taking the brunt of their frustrations every day. You are trapped between impatient clients and long waits for agent support due to lousy training, constant procedural changes, and poor help desk availability. Management tries to show they are doing their best to assist, however, a lot of responsibility is shouldered on the FLA while unrealistic expectations keep rising. Even with pay raises, it does nothing to alleviate stress that ruins enjoyment of life. In the end, you feel like an 85 year old. You stay awake at nights, worrying over or any numerous things you will be dragged over the coals for. You are never at peace to find any sort of enjoyment or job satisfaction When management detects weakness, they go in for the slow bleed, or resort to cruelty to get you to quit. Management consists of a cliquey high school mean-girl types. To cover their own backsides, they put on airs that they are classy and caring. Some have no other experience in the work world other than HRG and have sold their souls to the corporation. Combine immaturity plus unjustified egoism and you get quite  more... the lovely assortment of trainers/supervisors. Low rent bullies poison the employee well but remain with the company, doing dirty work that upper management avoids. Every month, HRG churns out a grou of new suckers taking the bait. It will be hard to find a worst job going forward. You must either be desperate or insane to stay on. Know that, when it comes to packing it in, your quality of life will vastly improve as well as your health.  less
Pros
Some people are truly well worth knowing. Constant learnng and development.
Cons
Lousy pay, high stress, loss of self, atonomy, enjoyment of life, health.
Horrible place to work
Client Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 May 2018
Worked for HRG for over 8 years on several different contracts. Management is atrocious. You are just a number and supervisors are not helpful most senior agents know more about the job than their supervisors. Only way to move up is to suck up to management. Pay is basic not worth the stress. Working at HRG is like going back to high school again with the cliques. Definitely better Travel Agencies out there.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Managent, pay
Typical work day
Travel Agent/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 May 2018
Working with HRG as a home-based Travel Agent/Counselor could be a challenging and rewarding job but that, however, was not consistently the case. Working from home definitely has its advantages but I found doing the vast majority of communication over the phone to be ineffective and hampered successfully completing a task. I missed the ability to interact with clientele and colleagues on a face-to face basis and believe my progression and success in my role did not reach its potential because of that and I was not happy.
Pros
No commuting to and from work.
Cons
Long wait/hold times to access support. Poor training.
Good company but bad schedule
Agent Assist Desk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 April 2018
Good company to work for. Advancement opportunities arise if you work well. Schedules aren’t good- individual situations not taken into consider due to company need.
slower work place
SERVICE/EXCHANGE AGENT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 April 2018
great work area that is clean. stress for the pay is unequal. no room to move up or earn a high hourly pay. do offer benefits but not 100% coverage only 80%
Great pay and benefits, schedule is afternoons only
Travel Agent - Vancouver (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 April 2018
typical day is you sign on and work selling travel to Visa customer's from RBC

Management was in contact with you monthly and always an email way if you were having any issues.

Support teams are great, but overworked!

Hardest part of the job was dealing with the Death of a loved and trying to book flights for customer's to get home.

Most enjoyable part of the job was booking travel for customer's and finding them the best deals.
Pros
work from home
Cons
constantly being monitored by management
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 March 2018
Management always there to help you.
Career advancement is an option if you are willing to put in the effort.
Great benefits.
Possibility to work form a home office after a while.

Extra bonus:lots of free food

Cons: long hours/ night or weekend shifts always happen
Scotia Rewards Agent Review
Junior Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 February 2018
THE WORST COMPANY I’VE EVER WORKED FOR!
Let me explain... I came to HRG with a degree in travel counselling and a year and a half into the job, I never received a raise, I was never able to book package vacations or cruises even though my education gave me experience in all areas of travel. You will end up staying after your scheduled shift almost every day and work unwanted over time. You’re scheduled for nine hour days, when it gets busy management will cut your lunch hour to allow for more agents to be on the phone. You’re only given five sick days for the year, the least I’ve ever been allotted through other jobs I’ve had. To management you will only be a number to them and “easily” replaceable. Most people only get paid $12 an hour to start, as mentioned before I was never given a raise in my time at HRG but some employees did get raises last year, some only a mere $0.06-0.10 an hour increase. Every time you get a new skill set, like schedule changes, exchanges, international flights, packages or cruises you don’t get a raise even though you’re given more tasks and more responsibility. The system they use for the Scotia account is very hit and miss, sometimes it will work, other times it won’t for both the agent and customer. This makes customers frustrated and angry, you will get yelled at on the phones. There isn’t much flexibility with scheduling, they don’t care if you have other obligations or children in school or childcare.
If you plan on applying to HRG, please proceed with caution. From speaking with many of my now former coworkers, they’re all looking for new
  more... jobs.

GOOD LUCK!
Pros
Nice coworkers, benefits package.
fun, clean, downtown
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 February 2018
Professional working environment, people are great and feel like family and are committed, hard at work and like to help others in need. Efficient metro station as well for proper transportation. Rarely felt pressured in this workplace, really enjoyed booking travels to clients and leaving a smile in their face over the phone :)
Pros
constant food
Cons
short breaks
Too much workload and they pay you little.
Travel Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 December 2017
Too much work load with a low pay. People in the office are leaving because of the poor management. Changes are always on the way with the benefits of the company only. There is no future with a very little or no progress in your career. No FAM trip at all.
Pros
Cons
Too much workload. Very low salary
Poor management, low pay
RBC ACCOUNT (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 November 2017
I worked at HRG on the RBC account. I had worked there for over two years. It was very stressful for the amount of money I made. However because I got my job through my college, I was paid a little higher than some people who had been there for 15 years and had a heavier work load.

A lot of people found it hard to advance. Many of the people who worked there for years were in the same positions, even though they repeatedly applied for better ones.

You have to kind of bid for holiday time off.

Shifts were based on call volume so it wouldn't be unusual to to have shifts repeatedly cancelled in the summer. (With no pay)

You can get up to 8 weeks of vacation time but that takes years. I only knew of one person who had it and she had been with the company for 15 years. They usually start you with 2 weeks but you have to make sure it's when no one else in your office booked it off.

Every manager wants the call script to flow differently.
Managers don't really help you advance.
They don't pay for you to go back to school to advance yourself, like American Express does.

MY BIGGEST REASON FOR NOT RECOMMENDING THIS COMPANY:

They are notorious for refusing to give references or just ignoring you when you reach out. Doesn't matter if you worked there 5 minutes, 10 years, worked overtime every week. They aren't likely to give out references. Therefore don't waste years there that aren't going to benefit your future.
Pros
Vacation time
Fun environment
Conseiller de voyage (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 October 2017
A great place to start a career. The benefits make up for what lacks in terms of salary. Many company activities and easy to get to know everyone. Great opportunity to advance and relocate if you play your cards right.
Pros
Career starter
Cons
Salary
Alright Place To Be
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 October 2017
It's an alright company, but working at home isn't always the easiest because you don't get to see people on a day to day basis. But good company with good benefits.
Good learning environment work place
Senior Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2017
I learned a number different corporate account at the same time while working in this company. Except non-GDS ticketing desk requires improvement. Despite being background from a fast environment I had been encouraged to execute SLOWDOWN pace.
Great company
Travel Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 September 2017
I have been working for HRG for over 4 years and it's a fantastic work environment. Management is very friendly and always willing to give a helping hand. Hands down, one of the most effective training I've ever seen. There is shift work. You might work nights and weekend sometimes, but there are usually premiums for those shifts. There are a lot of draws and prizes year-round. HRG recognizes its employees' hard work and shows their appreciation. Shifts are usually 8.5 hours incl. 1 hour lunch. Koodos to HRG for being the great company that they are.
Pros
Prizes, friendly environment, great management team
Cons
Shift work