House of Knives Employee Reviews

Bad company
Manager (Current Employee) –  BC22 June 2019
Apparently this used to be a great company to work for, but the chaotic head office, clueless managers and the president who’s obsessed with teaching us how to cut produce like a chef while moping about how things used to be better 20 years ago really made this a drag to work for. Avoid if you value yourself.
Pros
Cool products
Cons
Bad pay, bad management, no direction or vision from the top
Used to be great but culture is gone
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  British Columbia25 January 2019
I put in years with HOK and for the majority of it, it was incredible but as the retail landscape changed, so too did the company - in a bad way. It used to be that you could work hard and get rewarded with promotions and great prizes from contests. That was all stripped away as were the hours.

Staff were expected to work upwards of 8 hours or more by themselves with no coverage. Stores had microwaves at one time but those were removed so during those long days there was no chance to even bring a decent meal to eat.

Wages got worse and worse for anyone newly hired and I genuinely felt bad for those people I worked with who were getting minimum wage while they were expected to work their butts off. Loyalty used to be rewarded but ownership now prefers to rotate managers in and out "to keep things fresh".

There is so much product knowledge that staff expected to know but no time to learn it all. I used to say to new hires that it will take a year to learn everything you need to know but now no one lasts nearly long enough to get to know it all and the customer now learns nothing when they enter the store.

Do yourself a favour and ignore this company. Save some money and buy the same products online for far less. Lord knows the internet knows more than any staff does now. Unless they change their culture to what it was like years ago, House of Knives will not last much longer.
Pros
Nothing any more
Cons
Low wages, lack of coverage, no support from superiors
Don’t work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 January 2019
This was one of the worst job experiences I’ve had. The manager was ok but the upper management and owner were horrendous.
The district manager was over barring and bullyish, the owner was less concerned about staff knowing the product and more concerned that staff knew how to chop produce like chefs.
The hours were bad even worse if you had to close as you could hear crickets and then would be penalized for low sales. This is not a place to work period your mental health will suffer and you won’t make any money here as the pay is terrible. You will be denied bathroom breaks and forced to work during your lunch break. If you want a place that cares about their staff or if you care about your basic human rights stay away from house of knives.
Pros
Cons
Long hours no breaks will be bullied by district manager.
False advertisement of employment
Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver21 January 2019
This job really doesn’t give you much in return of the effort and money you put in. Company is also filled with snobby associates. Pay is minimum wage, and average sales for the day are roughly $1200-1500 with 0 commission. Seniority & skills do not matter much, hours get cut due to management lessening hours to make profit & managers not doing much that associates do not do. The company is gradually getting worse & worse. The work environment on the other hand is good, great employee, but don’t expect to be making much money if you work here
Pros
Environment & learning how to sharpen
Cons
Disgustingly low pay & terrible hours with no chance of advancement
Horrible, mismanaged business
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 July 2018
Terribly mismanaged when I was there. District manager was all about energy and flowers when we were selling knives. Not a productive workplace. Great staff, terrible upper management
Not a great place to work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC28 November 2017
Really not a great company to work for, they dont pay well and expect you to do alot .
There is bullying from upper managment , and managers in the store who if they personally dont like you they give you horrible shifts and hours , its not based on your skill or if customers like you ,
The manager of the store I worked in would sit and make fun of people walking by , even handicap people, upper management was aware ,
The products are overpriced , your better to go online .
Good culture, hard work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC9 October 2017
The House of Knives family was great to work with and I loved the knowledge I received while working for them. Unfortunately they are often very demanding of their employees without the adequate pay to match the workload.
Pros
Small business feel but with big business dreams
Cons
Often overwork good employees, don't pay enough
Best job I have ever had, hands down
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2017
absolutely the best job anyone could ever ask for. Honestly I love it here, and am more and more thrilled every day that I get to come into work. Everyone is so positive and welcoming when you first get hired, and upper management is more than willing to help when you need. I got three weeks of training with 3 different managers and MY GOSH what an amazing group of people we have here at HOK. I got trained by 2 of the upper management, and then one of the other store managers based in BC. They were all equally amazing, but had different personality's which I love. No one has the typical retail 'im better than you' mentality and it really does feel like a family here.
Pros
Great Head Office Staff, Amazing discounts, Great staff all around. Family Environment through and through. Wonderful training process.
Cons
Can be a little slow, but always tasks to be done.
house of knives
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 June 2017
only work a couple days a week, great moral and managment brought me to the company. well organized company, very structured.
pay scale could be improved.
Amazing products, great benefits, lots of free stuff!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC22 June 2017
Surrounded by high quality knives of all sorts makes for a great day! Lots of contests going on to win lots of great prizes. Even more free stuff if you are a store manager. Everyone is great to talk to and easy to get information. Definitely the best company I have ever worked for! That being said, there are always issues coming up. Keep focused on the job at hand and ignore the little things and your time here will be excellent. Hardest part is the gaps when no customers come into the store- great chance to learn more. Great discounts for staff as well.
Pros
Free stuff, great discounts
Cons
You can't always agree with upper management, but issues are few and far between
had great staff
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2017
overall an ok company,wasnt very impressed with the way i was let go and was not given a 7 day in advance notice. Also was not given a reason as to why they decided to go through with termination,
Pros
good staff
Cons
very boring
BC family owned business that is a pleasure to work for.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 November 2015
House of Knives is a fantastic company to work for. They are extremely flexible and considerate of the needs of their employees, and the people there are an absolute delight to be around. My time at House of Knives has equipped me with a vast product knowledge of knives and kitchen gadgets, and has introduced me to a new standard of quality to appreciate. House of Knives is my first experience of a sales-oriented job, and thus far it has been a very rewarding and challenging experience, one that I would recommend to anyone with a passion for knives and steel craft.
Pros
Excellent coworkers and management staff, flexible hours and competitive wages.
Cons
Evening shifts can sometimes be slow paced.
If you're applying to a knife shop, you know why it's a good thing.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 February 2015
Fantastic managers, sharp shiny things galore and an opportunity to show sales abilities in full stride. Very easygoing, clean and professional environment.
Pros
discounts, great coworkers
Cons
////
good managment great place to work
seasonal sales (Former Employee) –  abbotsford sevenoaks mall2 January 2014
very knowledgeable staff friendly outgoing work environment , learned all about different types of steels and metals used in knives,managment was great they really are on top ofthings which makes a big difference in the working environment.the hardes part of this job was dealing with unhappy or unpleasant customers but I was always able to please them in the end and help them as much as possible, I enjoyed learning and meeting new people
Pros
great givaway prizes
Cons
alot of nights and weekend work but i didnt really mind that
A unique retail opportunity
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2012
While this job is, in essence, a traditional retail job, it is so much more because of the product. As a sales associate for House of Knives you get to interact with chefs, hunters and collecters, novice swordsmen, police and fire fighters, fishermen, culinary students and everyone in between. While learning the standard cash handling and customer service skills you also gain a valuable knowledge of kitchen and utility knives as well as shaving implements and art peices.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at House of Knives. Our community is ready to answer.