House of Commons

House of Commons Management reviews

Canada32 reviews
I really enjoyed my position at the House of Commons. Co-workers were like one big family. Really great management. Lots of opportunity for O/T. I made pretty good money there along with tips sometimes. I am not working there anymore because I became ill and was forced to be at home. My illness kept me from my job for more than a year and I realized that I would no longer be able to handle the job anymore. It's sad for me to not be there anymore but I have to take care of my health first.
Otherwise, it's a great place to work.
Rich infrastructure, very traditional and formal organization, with a "Pure" Control Management style, Union environment with very low moral and a Group Think Mentality. Huge Human Resource infrastructure but spent on resolving issues inherent derived from Upper Management. All service providers were Risk adverse and conservative.
Pros
Good salary, world class facilities, Look Great
Cons
Textbook Control Management Style
I have worked at the House of Commons for many years. I have seen my directorate grow from a small close knit group to one with over 700 employees.

The House of Commons offers considerable employee benefits, but due to realignment and changes in senior management, employment has become more stressful in recent years.

Nevertheless, I am proud to have served the organization for so many years and to see it grow to what it is today.
Food department is a total mess. Toxic environment. No leadership in management. Sous chefs and executive chef never pick up a knife. A total mess with no passion. And favouritism runs rampant. Work here if you give up and want to retire with a pension
Participated in various projects.
Flexible work hours. Was able to work from home on some of the projects.

Friendly co-workers.
Knowledgeable management.
There is not much room for advancement unless you stay for a few years. Good work environment, can be stressful but management is understanding.
Have to be willing to work autonomously and critical thinking.
Pros
Cheap lunch, some free perks
Pros:
- Prestigious working environment (Parliament);

- Great work personal life balance (compressed days...etc);

- Great work dynamic not easy working for parliamentarians, they can be quite demanding;

- Free gym;

- No union fees to pay if you are in ADG group;

- Personal life insurance above average.

Cons:

- Small group of people in Finance, if management doesn't like you, your career will stall;
- Clicks managing the whole place unless you're friend with them, you can get advancement but it will be very slow
While communications, such as advertising, press releases, pamphlets and editing are a large part of my work, these tasks are balanced with office management and interacting with the general public to problem solve and work on various files related to federal government programs, agencies and departments.

I have learned a great deal about the general populace of our region and the challenges they face, as well as the internal workings of the federal government and parliament. I work alone, however, am in close contact with co-workers in three other offices through emails and telephone.

The most difficult part of the job is strict deadlines, which I have been able to meet for the past nine years, while most enjoyable aspects are the flexible hours, excellent pension and benefit package and the team support.
I work with lots of different type of office management. I write letters to constituents who want to know about a particular topic, I write speeches and statements for my Member of Parliament. I also do all media and marketing such as social media, press releases, and advertisements.
Other responsibilites are scheduling and booking reservations and doing research to create briefs and memos for legislative review

I like working with a team of people and I have learned a lot in this job, the biggest challenges are the fast-pace and high-stress atmosphere
Pros
being able to learn several fields of politics and office administration
Cons
high stress, no long term job security or workers rights
This was my first full-time job, and I was very suited for it. Executive administrative assistant to the Federal Cabinet Minister's righthand man.
J'ai beaucoup évoluée dans cette entreprise. Beaucoup appris sur les différentes compétences suivante: la gestion de soi, le travail d'equipe, la capacité d'analyse, la communication ....