House of Commons

House of Commons Employee Reviews for Communications Assistant

Communications Assistant2 reviews
Canada2 reviews
Your day starts when you turn on your Blackberry and must remain on during the weekend. it makes work and life balance difficult.
High energy environment which is stimulating and requires lots of your energy and a great attention span.

You learn on the job and you need to learn to multitask very quickly.

Stimulating environment with no shortage of work.
Pros
stimulating, not boring
Cons
work and life balance is very difficult
While communications, such as advertising, press releases, pamphlets and editing are a large part of my work, these tasks are balanced with office management and interacting with the general public to problem solve and work on various files related to federal government programs, agencies and departments.

I have learned a great deal about the general populace of our region and the challenges they face, as well as the internal workings of the federal government and parliament. I work alone, however, am in close contact with co-workers in three other offices through emails and telephone.

The most difficult part of the job is strict deadlines, which I have been able to meet for the past nine years, while most enjoyable aspects are the flexible hours, excellent pension and benefit package and the team support.