House of Commons

House of Commons Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

work load is busy but it's still a pretty calm and friendly environment. Excellent training , great team work. Great pay and benefits well balance work-life conditions.
Rich infrastructure, very traditional and formal organization, with a "Pure" Control Management style, Union environment with very low moral and a Group Think Mentality. Huge Human Resource infrastructure but spent on resolving issues inherent derived from Upper Management. All service providers were Risk adverse and conservative.
Pros
Good salary, world class facilities, Look Great
Cons
Textbook Control Management Style
I have absolutely no comment to file here nd just want to get through to the next page so am writing words to fulfill the minimum characheters filter in place.
I have worked at the House of Commons for many years. I have seen my directorate grow from a small close knit group to one with over 700 employees. The House of Commons offers considerable employee benefits, but due to realignment and changes in senior management, employment has become more stressful in recent years. Nevertheless, I am proud to have served the organization for so many years and to see it grow to what it is today.
Food department is a total mess. Toxic environment. No leadership in management. Sous chefs and executive chef never pick up a knife. A total mess with no passion. And favouritism runs rampant. Work here if you give up and want to retire with a pension
Participated in various projects. Flexible work hours. Was able to work from home on some of the projects. Friendly co-workers. Knowledgeable management.
fun dynamic in the team. the work was simple, but the team environment made the job quite enjoyable. Only lack was the work was too simple, wish the projects were more complex
There is not much room for advancement unless you stay for a few years. Good work environment, can be stressful but management is understanding. Have to be willing to work autonomously and critical thinking.
Pros
Cheap lunch, some free perks
Pros: - Prestigious working environment (Parliament); - Great work personal life balance (compressed days...etc); - Great work dynamic not easy working for parliamentarians, they can be quite demanding; - Free gym; - No union fees to pay if you are in ADG group; - Personal life insurance above average. Cons: - Small group of people in Finance, if management doesn't like you, your career will stall; - Clicks managing the whole place unless you're friend with them, you can get advancement but it will be very slow
Was a temporary job with an agency as a Receptionist and Administrator. Was very quiet even boring. Had to find things to do. Cleaned the filling room by making sure everything was in order and distributed mail that I would pick up from the mailroom
Pros
Nice environment and people were nice
Cons
no advancement because of temporary work.
Volunteer work at different parts of communities around Ottawa. Some tasks include cleaning and cooking. I learned a lot of communication skills and also became more confident.
fun place to work. I t is very challenging and demanding but always makes you be on top of your game. The people are nice and inter-active which promotes a good work environment.
My working environment is one where there's a good sense of team spirit. A strong work ethic is obviously important but the human side is also important. I enjoy working with people who have a decent sense of humour and who, while they might take their work very seriously, don't necessarily take themselves overly seriously! I like people who are down to earth but who have a dynamic and progressive approach to their work. I really enjoy working as part of a highly committed and professional team.
Working on the Hill requires that you be available evenings and weekends, making the salary not that attractive. Your job is as secure as the next election. It is however great work experience.
Your day starts when you turn on your Blackberry and must remain on during the weekend. it makes work and life balance difficult. High energy environment which is stimulating and requires lots of your energy and a great attention span. You learn on the job and you need to learn to multitask very quickly. Stimulating environment with no shortage of work.
Pros
stimulating, not boring
Cons
work and life balance is very difficult
Les conditions de travails sont excellente, la location aussi ( Juste à côté du Parlement) tous est à proximité. Le seul inconvénient est l'emploi en tant que tels. Si passer 7 heures devant un ordinateur n'est pas pour toi du devrais laisser faire.
Pros
Location, salaire, temps de pause
Cons
7 heures devant un ordinateur
I can not disclose the description of the job as part of it falls under counter terrorism and under the official secrets act information/discussions about what I do while I work in the house of commons can not be discussed.
Pros
meeting lots of people
Cons
second guessing their intention in a security point of view
A decent place to work with great benefits. However, upward mobility is limited and the ability to correct improper behaviour among staff is nonexistent.
Benefits
Cons
Work environment
It is a fun place to work, especially if you are engaged in politics. There is good pay and benefits, but unlike other government agencies, you have no job security when working for a member of parliament.
Pros
benefits and payjob security
Great place to work at, great people, great atmosphere and great sights to see out in the Ottawa region.
Pros
Get to work for and meet Important Government officials
Cons
none that I can think of
They provide many avenues for professional, educational development, whether it be House based training or chances to obtain degrees or certifications from University or Colleges.
Pros
Flexible work schedules