House of Commons

House of Commons Employee Reviews

I really enjoyed my position at the House of Commons. Co-workers were like one big family. Really great management. Lots of opportunity for O/T. I made pretty good money there along with tips sometimes. I am not working there anymore because I became ill and was forced to be at home. My illness kept me from my job for more than a year and I realized that I would no longer be able to handle the job anymore. It's sad for me to not be there anymore but I have to take care of my health first.
Otherwise, it's a great place to work.
As a whole I don't regret have left the place, local management rather laid-back over important/urgent matters.e.g., disciplinary procedures, grievance procedures.etc. I had to leave as my authority as junior supervisor was totally dismissed by my line managers and left me without any other option but resign.
was in charge with how I prioritised my day and they let me get on with it which I prefer. Urgent issues were dealt with first and the satisfaction with helping constituents with their issues
I enjoy my work here and I would work here for a long period time of time and would suggest others to work here as well especially if they have side hustles.
work load is busy but it's still a pretty calm and friendly environment. Excellent training , great team work. Great pay and benefits well balance work-life conditions.
Rich infrastructure, very traditional and formal organization, with a "Pure" Control Management style, Union environment with very low moral and a Group Think Mentality. Huge Human Resource infrastructure but spent on resolving issues inherent derived from Upper Management. All service providers were Risk adverse and conservative.
Pros
Good salary, world class facilities, Look Great
Cons
Textbook Control Management Style
I have absolutely no comment to file here nd just want to get through to the next page so am writing words to fulfill the minimum characheters filter in place.
The office was always fast paced. It was never a dull moment, with a lot of constituents coming in and out of the office with their needs. Helped with immigration, CRA and service Canada Issues.
Really love that job would like to be able to get the apportunity to continu with another MP since the election wasn't favorable to the MP I was working for at the last election.
I have worked at the House of Commons for many years. I have seen my directorate grow from a small close knit group to one with over 700 employees.

The House of Commons offers considerable employee benefits, but due to realignment and changes in senior management, employment has become more stressful in recent years.

Nevertheless, I am proud to have served the organization for so many years and to see it grow to what it is today.
Food department is a total mess. Toxic environment. No leadership in management. Sous chefs and executive chef never pick up a knife. A total mess with no passion. And favouritism runs rampant. Work here if you give up and want to retire with a pension
Participated in various projects.
Flexible work hours. Was able to work from home on some of the projects.

Friendly co-workers. Knowledgeable management.
fun dynamic in the team. the work was simple, but the team environment made the job quite enjoyable. Only lack was the work was too simple, wish the projects were more complex
There is not much room for advancement unless you stay for a few years. Good work environment, can be stressful but management is understanding.
Have to be willing to work autonomously and critical thinking.
Pros
Cheap lunch, some free perks
To discuss our work in Action on Sugar, I was invited and attended the National Sugar Awareness Week Reception at the British Parliament, House of Commons, London, Nov 2017
I loved working at House of Commons.. everyone had a great sense of humor and the job was easy, unless we had to deal with difficult customers. Plus we would receive free lunch and got to try all the tea!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Parking
Pros:
- Prestigious working environment (Parliament);

- Great work personal life balance (compressed days...etc);

- Great work dynamic not easy working for parliamentarians, they can be quite demanding;

- Free gym;

- No union fees to pay if you are in ADG group;

- Personal life insurance above average.

Cons:

- Small group of people in Finance, if management doesn't like you, your career will stall;

- Clicks managing the whole place unless you're friend with them, you can get advancement but it will be very slow
Was a temporary job with an agency as a Receptionist and Administrator. Was very quiet even boring. Had to find things to do. Cleaned the filling room by making sure everything was in order and distributed mail that I would pick up from the mailroom
Pros
Nice environment and people were nice
Cons
no advancement because of temporary work.
I take granted of the opportunity to work here because I want to get more experience in life. The company gives me rest day and allow me to take a leave. I learn to give service to costumers and satisfy their cravings. I like the job so their no problem but because I am still a trainee I struggle bit.
Pros
free lunch and merienda
Cons
minimum hours
Volunteer work at different parts of communities around Ottawa. Some tasks include cleaning and cooking. I learned a lot of communication skills and also became more confident.
the pay was good and the people were nice, very little stress, coffee and lunch were sometimes provided. I met a lot of cool people and would definitely work there again.
Pros
free lunches and coffee
Cons
had to attend events during the weekends