House of Commons

House of Commons Employee Reviews

Canada32 reviews
Fast paced, fun place to work
I really enjoyed my position at the House of Commons. Co-workers were like one big family. Really great management. Lots of opportunity for O/T. I made pretty good money there along with tips sometimes. I am not working there anymore because I became ill and was forced to be at home. My illness kept me from my job for more than a year and I realized that I would no longer be able to handle the job anymore. It's sad for me to not be there anymore but I have to take care of my health first.
Otherwise, it's a great place to work.
Busy but calm and relax atmoshpere
work load is busy but it's still a pretty calm and friendly environment. Excellent training , great team work. Great pay and benefits well balance work-life conditions.
Perfect for those who like to keep things the same and have the best of everything.
Rich infrastructure, very traditional and formal organization, with a "Pure" Control Management style, Union environment with very low moral and a Group Think Mentality. Huge Human Resource infrastructure but spent on resolving issues inherent derived from Upper Management. All service providers were Risk adverse and conservative.
Pros
Good salary, world class facilities, Look Great
Cons
Textbook Control Management Style
No comment
I have absolutely no comment to file here nd just want to get through to the next page so am writing words to fulfill the minimum characheters filter in place.
Never a Dull Moment
The office was always fast paced. It was never a dull moment, with a lot of constituents coming in and out of the office with their needs. Helped with immigration, CRA and service Canada Issues.
Very fast pace environment but with good benefits
Really love that job would like to be able to get the apportunity to continu with another MP since the election wasn't favorable to the MP I was working for at the last election.
An organization in transition
I have worked at the House of Commons for many years. I have seen my directorate grow from a small close knit group to one with over 700 employees.

The House of Commons offers considerable employee benefits, but due to realignment and changes in senior management, employment has become more stressful in recent years.

Nevertheless, I am proud to have served the organization for so many years and to see it grow to what it is today.
Toxic environment. Managment gave up
Food department is a total mess. Toxic environment. No leadership in management. Sous chefs and executive chef never pick up a knife. A total mess with no passion. And favouritism runs rampant. Work here if you give up and want to retire with a pension
Flexible work environment.
Participated in various projects.
Flexible work hours. Was able to work from home on some of the projects.

Friendly co-workers. Knowledgeable management.
Fun work environment
fun dynamic in the team. the work was simple, but the team environment made the job quite enjoyable. Only lack was the work was too simple, wish the projects were more complex
As a young millenial, it's good experience
There is not much room for advancement unless you stay for a few years. Good work environment, can be stressful but management is understanding.
Have to be willing to work autonomously and critical thinking.
Pros
Cheap lunch, some free perks
Finance services
Pros:
- Prestigious working environment (Parliament);

- Great work personal life balance (compressed days...etc);

- Great work dynamic not easy working for parliamentarians, they can be quite demanding;

- Free gym;

- No union fees to pay if you are in ADG group;

- Personal life insurance above average.

Cons:

- Small group of people in Finance, if management doesn't like you, your career will stall;

- Clicks managing the whole place unless you're friend with them, you can get advancement but it will be very slow
Working for an agency
Was a temporary job with an agency as a Receptionist and Administrator. Was very quiet even boring. Had to find things to do. Cleaned the filling room by making sure everything was in order and distributed mail that I would pick up from the mailroom
Pros
Nice environment and people were nice
Cons
no advancement because of temporary work.
Volunteering at coomunties in ottawa
Volunteer work at different parts of communities around Ottawa. Some tasks include cleaning and cooking. I learned a lot of communication skills and also became more confident.
fun workplace
the pay was good and the people were nice, very little stress, coffee and lunch were sometimes provided. I met a lot of cool people and would definitely work there again.
Pros
free lunches and coffee
Cons
had to attend events during the weekends
Productive place to work
fun place to work. I t is very challenging and demanding but always makes you be on top of your game. The people are nice and inter-active which promotes a good work environment.
Good work environment
My working environment is one where there's a good sense of team spirit. A strong work ethic is obviously important but the human side is also important. I enjoy working with people who have a decent sense of humour and who, while they might take their work very seriously, don't necessarily take themselves overly seriously! I like people who are down to earth but who have a dynamic and progressive approach to their work. I really enjoy working as part of a highly committed and professional team.
Interestingly enough, the job that I held at the MP office really prepared me well for my settlement worker's job.
I have met a lot of people from different walks of life with very interesting and diverse background. For the most part they were friendly since they needed my help. But there were times that I had to deal with irate or less than reasonable constituents as well. Some of the issues that I had to deal with were very personal and intriguing. They can be family reunification application issues, Visitor Visas, immigration issues, and settlement issues. I had the good fortune of having a great boss and he taught me to have compassion and try to put myself in someone else’s shoes. I learned to be a good and active listener without passing judgement. He was a great mentor to me and I have learned a lot from him. From then on, I realize there’s always something that I can learn from people who are successful in their professional or family life.
Pros
Learn a lot about immigration issues
Cons
Sad to see people had to wait so long for family unification applications
entry-level job no security
Working on the Hill requires that you be available evenings and weekends, making the salary not that attractive. Your job is as secure as the next election. It is however great work experience.
Professional environment
A very professional environment. A place where you can learn infinite knowledge. The coworkers are more than welcoming. This was a great opportunity to learn to be professional.
Working for a Member of Parliament is not a 37.5 hours a week job, more like a 7 day a week job
Your day starts when you turn on your Blackberry and must remain on during the weekend. it makes work and life balance difficult.
High energy environment which is stimulating and requires lots of your energy and a great attention span.

You learn on the job and you need to learn to multitask very quickly.

Stimulating environment with no shortage of work.
Pros
stimulating, not boring
Cons
work and life balance is very difficult