House of Commons Employee Reviews

Working for an agency
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  131 Queens Street, Ottawa, Ontario4 October 2018
Was a temporary job with an agency as a Receptionist and Administrator. Was very quiet even boring. Had to find things to do. Cleaned the filling room by making sure everything was in order and distributed mail that I would pick up from the mailroom
Pros
Nice environment and people were nice
Cons
no advancement because of temporary work.
fun workplace
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 March 2018
the pay was good and the people were nice, very little stress, coffee and lunch were sometimes provided. I met a lot of cool people and would definitely work there again.
Pros
free lunches and coffee
Cons
had to attend events during the weekends
Productive place to work
Intern at the House of Commons (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 March 2018
fun place to work. I t is very challenging and demanding but always makes you be on top of your game. The people are nice and inter-active which promotes a good work environment.
Good work environment
Senior Contracting Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2018
My working environment is one where there's a good sense of team spirit. A strong work ethic is obviously important but the human side is also important. I enjoy working with people who have a decent sense of humour and who, while they might take their work very seriously, don't necessarily take themselves overly seriously! I like people who are down to earth but who have a dynamic and progressive approach to their work. I really enjoy working as part of a highly committed and professional team.
Interestingly enough, the job that I held at the MP office really prepared me well for my settlement worker's job.
Bill Siksay, MP - Constituency Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC18 January 2018
I have met a lot of people from different walks of life with very interesting and diverse background. For the most part they were friendly since they needed my help. But there were times that I had to deal with irate or less than reasonable constituents as well. Some of the issues that I had to deal with were very personal and intriguing. They can be family reunification application issues, Visitor Visas, immigration issues, and settlement issues. I had the good fortune of having a great boss and he taught me to have compassion and try to put myself in someone else’s shoes. I learned to be a good and active listener without passing judgement. He was a great mentor to me and I have learned a lot from him. From then on, I realize there’s always something that I can learn from people who are successful in their professional or family life.
Pros
Learn a lot about immigration issues
Cons
Sad to see people had to wait so long for family unification applications
entry-level job no security
MP Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 December 2017
Working on the Hill requires that you be available evenings and weekends, making the salary not that attractive. Your job is as secure as the next election. It is however great work experience.
I worked in kuwait ,uae,kenya 'uganda on cotracts
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Uae20 December 2017
Free accommodation, free food'medical insurance 'free visa, ticket.and on top of that I had also off days and working for 12 hours per day.in this work or working hours I have to make sure that all work is done nicely in the twelve hours given. And for extra hours I have to be paid and all the necessary needs is being given by the employee.
Professional environment
Assistant to MP Harold Albrecht (Former Employee) –  Parliament, ON24 October 2017
A very professional environment. A place where you can learn infinite knowledge. The coworkers are more than welcoming. This was a great opportunity to learn to be professional.
Working for a Member of Parliament is not a 37.5 hours a week job, more like a 7 day a week job
various roles - from communication assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 October 2017
Your day starts when you turn on your Blackberry and must remain on during the weekend. it makes work and life balance difficult.
High energy environment which is stimulating and requires lots of your energy and a great attention span.
You learn on the job and you need to learn to multitask very quickly.

Stimulating environment with no shortage of work.
Pros
stimulating, not boring
Cons
work and life balance is very difficult
Très bien, mais pas pour tous
Employé Étudiant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 October 2017
Les conditions de travails sont excellente, la location aussi ( Juste à côté du Parlement) tous est à proximité. Le seul inconvénient est l'emploi en tant que tels. Si passer 7 heures devant un ordinateur n'est pas pour toi du devrais laisser faire.
Pros
Location, salaire, temps de pause
Cons
7 heures devant un ordinateur

Want to know more about House of Commons?

Ask a question
House of Commons security
Commissioner Corps of Canada (Current Employee) –  Ottawa Ontario19 June 2017
I can not disclose the description of the job as part of it falls under counter terrorism and under the official secrets act information/discussions about what I do while I work in the house of commons can not be discussed.
Pros
meeting lots of people
Cons
second guessing their intention in a security point of view
they are good people and work place
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 December 2016
Ive been working for too long of just one family here in lebanon,,they are good but I have to fine something especial like canada to I can see what very nice places on it..And to my future employer I well asure u I well do the best I can be.....
Limited Upward Mobility
Acting Client Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 June 2016
A decent place to work with great benefits. However, upward mobility is limited and the ability to correct improper behaviour among staff is nonexistent.
Benefits
Cons
Work environment
Review
Parliamentary Assistant to Dona Cadman, MP (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 August 2015
It is a fun place to work, especially if you are engaged in politics. There is good pay and benefits, but unlike other government agencies, you have no job security when working for a member of parliament.
Pros
benefits and payjob security
Challenging work involving a diverse population base which resulted in an interesting and vibrant environment.
Communications Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, New Brunswick12 February 2015
While communications, such as advertising, press releases, pamphlets and editing are a large part of my work, these tasks are balanced with office management and interacting with the general public to problem solve and work on various files related to federal government programs, agencies and departments.

I have learned a great deal about the general populace of our region and the challenges they face, as well as the internal workings of the federal government and parliament. I work alone, however, am in close contact with co-workers in three other offices through emails and telephone.

The most difficult part of the job is strict deadlines, which I have been able to meet for the past nine years, while most enjoyable aspects are the flexible hours, excellent pension and benefit package and the team support.
House of commons IT
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 October 2014
Great place to work at, great people, great atmosphere and great sights to see out in the Ottawa region.
Pros
Get to work for and meet Important Government officials
Cons
none that I can think of
They provide excellent career advancement and development
IT Technical Analyst/Security Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 September 2014
They provide many avenues for professional, educational development, whether it be House based training or chances to obtain degrees or certifications from University or Colleges.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
A general overview of my employment responsibilites
Full Time Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario11 April 2013
I work with lots of different type of office management. I write letters to constituents who want to know about a particular topic, I write speeches and statements for my Member of Parliament. I also do all media and marketing such as social media, press releases, and advertisements.
Other responsibilites are scheduling and booking reservations and doing research to create briefs and memos for legislative review
I like working with a team of people and I have learned a lot in this job, the biggest challenges are the fast-pace and high-stress atmosphere
Pros
being able to learn several fields of politics and office administration
Cons
high stress, no long term job security or workers rights
Political Executive Administrative Assistant
Bilingual Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 April 2013
This was my first full-time job, and I was very suited for it. Executive administrative assistant to the Federal Cabinet Minister's righthand man.
Environement de travail agréable!
Pay and Benefits Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa5 June 2012
J'ai beaucoup évoluée dans cette entreprise. Beaucoup appris sur les différentes compétences suivante: la gestion de soi, le travail d'equipe, la capacité d'analyse, la communication ....