Houle Electric Management reviews

Worked with them for 4 years
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC30 May 2019
Treated me great. As long as you worked hard and didn’t screw around you were respected and treated well. Had to know the right people for promotions though. That kind of sucked.
Pros
Good pay, great front line leadership, great area super intendants
Cons
Some awful higher ups who were not qualified. All about who you blow now what you know.
Treated the finance and payroll department terribly.
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 September 2018
This is a family run company and if one of the family doesn't like you then you might as well find another job, they will treat you badly until you leave.
Pros
Free donuts weekly. Gym, Large lunch room.
Cons
Bullies, treat employees badly, moving desks often.
A great group of people to work with
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC28 June 2017
My time with Houle was spent at the Comox Valley Hospital project for nearly a year. A typical day at work consisted of bending emt and installing raceways, installing light fixtures, low voltage wiring and data wiring. I learned a lot while with Houle especially about bending conduit which is what I spent most of my time doing. I got along great with the management and had very few issues if any at all. Workplace culture was good especially considering it was such a big jobsite, all trades and coworkers got along for the most part. The hardest part of the job for me was commuting over an hour each way without being compensated for it by my union. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people with similar interests in career and lifestyle!
Hard work, Decent pay
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC19 February 2017
Hard work, decent pay.
Shift work and camp environment so you didn't see family very often.
Management often seemed lost but answered any questions to the best of their ability or got back to you with in the day, especially when it comes to safety.
It's a camp job
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC2 June 2016
As far as construction goes it was a very diigent company and workers responded well with management and worked well together with a great safety track record.
proactive and pleasant environment
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC11 May 2016
simple day at work safety meetings,management easy to talk too .
company willing to train in different areas of work. co workers always willing to helping out each other ...
Some great people but terrible foremans
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC14 April 2016
They paid particularly well but at the same time they expected you to be not a minute late on break, if you were you were written up. A ton of bag lickers shooting for foreman that will take credit for your own work, talk behind your back, and throw you under the bus at any turn. I don't know why, but houle loves to promote those people to foreman positions, be warned.
Pros
money
Cons
bad supervision (from my expirience)
Great co-workers, terrible management and clueless foreman
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC18 December 2015
I worked with Houle Electric in Kelowna after moving up to the Okanagan. Co-workers were friendly and knowledgable, ranging in age. I dealt with two foreman on two different job sites. One was quite young and knowledgable in the trade but didn't know what was going on with the site. The other didn't have a clue about what was going on, was totally overwhelmed and took it out on his employees like a child. The management above the foremen was no better, clueless, cheap and didn't want to listen to any of the problems.
Pros
Good pay, friendly co-workers
Cons
Long hours, terrible foreman and management
n/a
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 December 2015
I worked on substation. I did some grounding but mostly I was terminated panels. Job was fun but short. I had grate co-workers and my management was OK too.
Great company culture
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  BC7 March 2015
Houle is a great company who cares about their employees. They are invested in your learning and training you to be a great electrician.
if you fit in its ok
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 March 2014
gossipy office staff, too stiff and kinda need to watch your back
Houle Electric is a good well managed company that treats their employees well.
service electrician (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo14 March 2014
Working as a service person for Houle allows each of the workers and opportunity to develop their own client list. As you service different customers there are businesses that become reliant on you for the service you provide.
Houle will train you for whatever skills you require and have an aptitude for.
The management team are hard working individuals that maintain high levels of success in securing jobs and manage the jobs effectively.
The hardest part of the job is being on call 24/7 although that is usually shared with other service people.
The most enjoyable part of the job is having good equipment at your disposal including tools and vehicles. (They also have an excellent working relationship with the IBEW)