Houle Electric logo
Houle Electric

Houle Electric Management reviews

Clear

OK place to work

Ok place to work if you want to be mediocre at your job. No room for advancement as most management positions are outsourced or given to family members. Commission structure gets changed every other year for the worse.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Bad place for advancement

Run away

Misogynistic, leadership bullying, dysfunctional, disorganized processes, unqualified managers, toxic culture, stressful, software is archaic-double-triple entry, no room for advancement, management will actually walk right past you without acknowledging your existence, father-dughter duo rule the roost.

Pros

Salary ok, but can you deal with the disfunction

Cons

Horrible working environment

Treats their systems people like garbage

A quality "Electrical" contractor but for all system they are incredibly terrible. Treat their systems people like second class citizens, all bonuses and benefits are geared towards electrical/construciton woprkers and NOT at all towards systems staff. Felt like I was left on my own to sink or swim and bullied often. No mentoring at all even though they kept claiming to offer mentoring.New management is horrible and cancelled any/all team building events permanently. No management direction at all.

Pros

Nice people, fun annual camping events

Cons

Treated horribly, no bonuses for systems people, ONLY for electrical construciton staff.

Great Company

Working at Houle was a great experience. Sometimes Management focused on the sales vs. Their employees needs. Houle is known to overwork their employees. Not enough support for staff. Company grew too big too fast, unable to keep up with the growing demand. Employees treated each other like family. You are rewarded for hard work. RRSP matching program is amazing. Company switched owners and management in 2018, maybe changes for the better have been made.

Pros

Great people, benefits

Cons

Stressful, long hours, not supported enough by management

At Houle Electric, you are just a number

At the beginning, they were a terrific company to work for. They got too big, too fast. They are a union shop (IBEW) as far as technical staff are concerned. Just remember, you are replaceable. There has been a fairly large exodus of long term employees (that should tell you something) If you are a good 'brown noser' you will fit in nicely

Great place to work for the right person.

Self-motivated, reliable, and trustworthy people can excel here. Taking pride in your work while balancing that with time management is key. Lazy, slow, and sloppy work will not be rewarded.

Worked with them for 4 years

Treated me great. As long as you worked hard and didn’t screw around you were respected and treated well. Had to know the right people for promotions though. That kind of sucked.

Pros

Good pay, great front line leadership, great area super intendants

Cons

Some awful higher ups who were not qualified. All about who you blow now what you know.

Treated the finance and payroll department terribly.

This is a family run company and if one of the family doesn't like you then you might as well find another job, they will treat you badly until you leave.

Pros

Free donuts weekly. Gym, Large lunch room.

Cons

Bullies, treat employees badly, moving desks often.

A great group of people to work with

My time with Houle was spent at the Comox Valley Hospital project for nearly a year. A typical day at work consisted of bending emt and installing raceways, installing light fixtures, low voltage wiring and data wiring. I learned a lot while with Houle especially about bending conduit which is what I spent most of my time doing. I got along great with the management and had very few issues if any at all. Workplace culture was good especially considering it was such a big jobsite, all trades and coworkers got along for the most part. The hardest part of the job for me was commuting over an hour each way without being compensated for it by my union. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people with similar interests in career and lifestyle!

Hard work, Decent pay

Hard work, decent pay. Shift work and camp environment so you didn't see family very often. Management often seemed lost but answered any questions to the best of their ability or got back to you with in the day, especially when it comes to safety.

Jobs at Houle Electric

See more jobs

It's a camp job

As far as construction goes it was a very diigent company and workers responded well with management and worked well together with a great safety track record.

proactive and pleasant environment

simple day at work safety meetings,management easy to talk too . company willing to train in different areas of work. co workers always willing to helping out each other ...

Some great people but terrible foremans

They paid particularly well but at the same time they expected you to be not a minute late on break, if you were you were written up. A ton of bag lickers shooting for foreman that will take credit for your own work, talk behind your back, and throw you under the bus at any turn. I don't know why, but houle loves to promote those people to foreman positions, be warned.

Pros

money

Cons

bad supervision (from my expirience)

Great co-workers, terrible management and clueless foreman

I worked with Houle Electric in Kelowna after moving up to the Okanagan. Co-workers were friendly and knowledgable, ranging in age. I dealt with two foreman on two different job sites. One was quite young and knowledgable in the trade but didn't know what was going on with the site. The other didn't have a clue about what was going on, was totally overwhelmed and took it out on his employees like a child. The management above the foremen was no better, clueless, cheap and didn't want to listen to any of the problems.

Pros

Good pay, friendly co-workers

Cons

Long hours, terrible foreman and management

n/a

I worked on substation. I did some grounding but mostly I was terminated panels. Job was fun but short. I had grate co-workers and my management was OK too.

if you fit in its ok

gossipy office staff, too stiff and kinda need to watch your back

Houle Electric is a good well managed company that treats their employees well.

Working as a service person for Houle allows each of the workers and opportunity to develop their own client list. As you service different customers there are businesses that become reliant on you for the service you provide. Houle will train you for whatever skills you require and have an aptitude for. The management team are hard working individuals that maintain high levels of success in securing jobs and manage the jobs effectively. The hardest part of the job is being on call 24/7 although that is usually shared with other service people. The most enjoyable part of the job is having good equipment at your disposal including tools and vehicles. (They also have an excellent working relationship with the IBEW)