Houle Electric

Houle Electric Employee Reviews in Burnaby, BC

A great place to work

I very much enjoyed working for Houle. The staff was pleasant and the culture is positive. They encourage a work life balance and treat the staff very well. The office is beautiful and the summer BBQ’s are a great thing for all employees to enjoy on an amazing deck outside. The gym is another perk of working at the head office location. I would highly recommend for everyone to work for Houle if given the opportunity.

Pros

Lots of staff functions

Cons

Long commute.

Run away

Misogynistic, leadership bullying, dysfunctional, disorganized processes, unqualified managers, toxic culture, stressful, software is archaic-double-triple entry, no room for advancement, management will actually walk right past you without acknowledging your existence, father-dughter duo rule the roost.

Pros

Salary ok, but can you deal with the disfunction

Cons

Horrible working environment

Treats their systems people like garbage

A quality "Electrical" contractor but for all system they are incredibly terrible. Treat their systems people like second class citizens, all bonuses and benefits are geared towards electrical/construciton woprkers and NOT at all towards systems staff. Felt like I was left on my own to sink or swim and bullied often. No mentoring at all even though they kept claiming to offer mentoring.New management is horrible and cancelled any/all team building events permanently. No management direction at all.

Pros

Nice people, fun annual camping events

Cons

Treated horribly, no bonuses for systems people, ONLY for electrical construciton staff.

At Houle Electric, you are just a number

At the beginning, they were a terrific company to work for. They got too big, too fast. They are a union shop (IBEW) as far as technical staff are concerned. Just remember, you are replaceable. There has been a fairly large exodus of long term employees (that should tell you something) If you are a good 'brown noser' you will fit in nicely

People are great but company ethics are still in the 80's

People and wage are good, work is also good as there are a number of people you can ask questions and help if needed but company honesty and benefits are tragic. Medical and Dental are Very Basic. RRSP matching is horribly dishonest as it is a holding scheme.

Great place to work for the right person.

Self-motivated, reliable, and trustworthy people can excel here. Taking pride in your work while balancing that with time management is key. Lazy, slow, and sloppy work will not be rewarded.

Overall Rating 2/5

Job was stable for a while but there was not much room for advancement. The salary was not competitive enough compared to level of experience. Felt overlooked and not valued enough as an employee.

Treated the finance and payroll department terribly.

This is a family run company and if one of the family doesn't like you then you might as well find another job, they will treat you badly until you leave.

Pros

Free donuts weekly. Gym, Large lunch room.

Cons

Bullies, treat employees badly, moving desks often.

Great work experience

A typical day consist of going over a Field Level Risk Assessment to recognize and prevent injuries in the workplace. Organizing and allocating materials for efficient work flow. I learned to become independent and adaptable to many different obstacles. The most enjoyable part of the job is physically seeing progress in my work and learning new ways to improve my approach on certain problems.

Pros

Safety conscious

Cons

Physically tiring

Good place to work as long as there is work

I like Electrical Company I work for as long as there's work and the job lasts long. Jobs some times run out after three to four months. Always good guys to work with.

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Shortage of work

Jobs at Houle Electric

in Burnaby, BC
See more jobs

OK place to work

Ok place to work if you want to be mediocre at your job. No room for advancement as most management positions are outsourced or given to family members. Commission structure gets changed every other year for the worse.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Bad place for advancement

Day at Prefab

Running a Prefab shop that covers the Province of B.C is sometimes a challenge. Multiple orders going to different areas in the province. 12-18 apprentices to keep busy and production up as well maintaining a high quality product to our customers.

Pros

indoors and no rain

Good Employer

Good Employer and would encourage anyone to apply. Good environment for new electricians. Reputable and growing company. Ability to learn on the job with excellent supports.

n/a

I worked on substation. I did some grounding but mostly I was terminated panels. Job was fun but short. I had grate co-workers and my management was OK too.

A typical day at work

Life is boring, i have always needed something to keep life interesting. Giving life purpose by solving questions no one else knows the answer too, has always given me the pat on the back that entices more excellence...

Pros

Work and more work i love it..

Cons

travel time...

Great, Friendly Place!

Houle Electric was an amazing first experience working. My boss was amazing and I gained a reference. I gained loads of experience and had fun doing it.

Profit motivated.

Cold. No room for personal considerations. No team community. Low rating. No senoirity considerations. No job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houle Electric. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement

Compare Houle Electric with

• Houle Electric
  • Burnaby, BC
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?