Houle Electric

Houle Electric Employee Reviews

Canada47 reviews
People are great but company ethics are still in the 80's
People and wage are good, work is also good as there are a number of people you can ask questions and help if needed but company honesty and benefits are tragic. Medical and Dental are Very Basic. RRSP matching is horribly dishonest as it is a holding scheme.
Fun and challanging place to work
Always adapting and changing with the industry Houle was a great company to work for. All the staff were friendly and it felt like a family. Only left the job because of family requirements.
At Houle Electric, you are just a number
At the beginning, they were a terrific company to work for. They got too big, too fast. They are a union shop (IBEW) as far as technical staff are concerned. Just remember, you are replaceable. There has been a fairly large exodus of long term employees (that should tell you something) If you are a good 'brown noser' you will fit in nicely
Productive and good team support
A contract position, so no permanent position to fill after contract ended. But overall I gained valuable experience on working in the industry on site.
Great place to work for the right person.
Self-motivated, reliable, and trustworthy people can excel here. Taking pride in your work while balancing that with time management is key. Lazy, slow, and sloppy work will not be rewarded.
Overall Rating 2/5
Job was stable for a while but there was not much room for advancement. The salary was not competitive enough compared to level of experience. Felt overlooked and not valued enough as an employee.
Good Union Employer.
Good Union Employer. Large company with great capabilities. Provides quality equipment and PPE. Good quality employees. I am now just typing to fill the word requirement.
Worked with them for 4 years
Treated me great. As long as you worked hard and didn’t screw around you were respected and treated well. Had to know the right people for promotions though. That kind of sucked.
Pros
Good pay, great front line leadership, great area super intendants
Cons
Some awful higher ups who were not qualified. All about who you blow now what you know.
Top heavy company
estimators pick and chose jobs and create a very top heavy company, guys in the field spend most of their year on unemployment while company is trying to bid the next big contract.
Great Field Crew
Great field crew, funny and hard working. Friendly atmosphere and knowledgeable employees and supervisors. Equipment kept in good working order and safety is a must.
Treated the finance and payroll department terribly.
This is a family run company and if one of the family doesn't like you then you might as well find another job, they will treat you badly until you leave.
Pros
Free donuts weekly. Gym, Large lunch room.
Cons
Bullies, treat employees badly, moving desks often.
Great work experience
A typical day consist of going over a Field Level Risk Assessment to recognize and prevent injuries in the workplace. Organizing and allocating materials for efficient work flow. I learned to become independent and adaptable to many different obstacles. The most enjoyable part of the job is physically seeing progress in my work and learning new ways to improve my approach on certain problems.
Pros
Safety conscious
Cons
Physically tiring
Good place to work as long as there is work
I like Electrical Company I work for as long as there's work and the job lasts long. Jobs some times run out after three to four months. Always good guys to work with.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Shortage of work
General design
This is electrical construction company and a lot of great projects.
I believe they change a lot after these years, however, I was working there years ago.
Annual event with lots of fun.
Annual event where I shot candid shots and awards. People are friendly and wanting to get their photos taken. This company always good to provide their employees with amazing door prizes for its employees.
Pros
Income
Cons
Always on your feet.
OK place to work
Ok place to work if you want to be mediocre at your job. No room for advancement as most management positions are outsourced or given to family members. Commission structure gets changed every other year for the worse.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Bad place for advancement
Day at Prefab
Running a Prefab shop that covers the Province of B.C is sometimes a challenge. Multiple orders going to different areas in the province. 12-18 apprentices to keep busy and production up as well maintaining a high quality product to our customers.
Pros
indoors and no rain
Good Employer
Good Employer and would encourage anyone to apply. Good environment for new electricians. Reputable and growing company. Ability to learn on the job with excellent supports.
A great group of people to work with
My time with Houle was spent at the Comox Valley Hospital project for nearly a year. A typical day at work consisted of bending emt and installing raceways, installing light fixtures, low voltage wiring and data wiring. I learned a lot while with Houle especially about bending conduit which is what I spent most of my time doing. I got along great with the management and had very few issues if any at all. Workplace culture was good especially considering it was such a big jobsite, all trades and coworkers got along for the most part. The hardest part of the job for me was commuting over an hour each way without being compensated for it by my union. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people with similar interests in career and lifestyle!
Good learning environment
Good site lots of helpful workmates, foreman were all very helpful and understanding and willing to help with any problems. Didn't just delegate to another employee
Pros
Great people to work with
Excellent apprenticeship and Leadership training
Extensive experiences in commercial installations and great learning value. Fantastic co-workers and team leads, always supporting, mentoring and motivating to improve, work safe and practice good work.