Houle Electric

Working at Houle Electric: Employee Reviews

Canada60 reviews

goodcompanylothardemployeepeopleworkingmanagement

Overall good company

This company has challenges with upper management and change implementation. Otherwise they are a good company, usual PM challenges. Staff turnover is high and work culture is unstable.

Pros

Knowledge, work/life balance, peers

Cons

management structure, change management, software

26 August 2022
Thank you for the feedback. Our management team is constantly working at developing all aspects of the business. We are happy that during your time at Houle you have been able to expand your skillset and connect with your colleagues.

Houle is a big company with big company benefits and problems

Not a lot to say. I enjoyed my time with them, got paid well, learnt some new things, had a great foreman, would love to work with them more. As with all big companies it comes with the good benefits including pay and premium benefits that come with IBEW union standards but also suffer from those same things as you can be nothing more than a number at times and jobs come and go with contracts in the 2=3 digit numbers.

Pros

wage package and benefits along with type of work can be great

Cons

you can be nothing more than a number and are bound by union politics and stupidity

26 August 2022
Thank you for your positive review! Supporting the growth of our employees is important to us and we're always looking for ways to improve our programs designed to reward employees and promote recognition.

Insights into Houle Electric

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Sense of belonging

Very organised!

Professional management. If you work hard, they'll take into account what experience you want. Overall, good place to work. Would recommend to a friend.

26 August 2022
Than you for the five-star review! We work hard to ensure all employees get recognized for their hard work and mentored to reach their professional goals.

Good place to work. Good team atmosphere Get help when required from the office staff. Usually kept busy most of the year. Proper tools and material usually provided

Pros

I had a truck

Cons

Not always constant work

15 February 2022
Happy to hear you like the team atmosphere! Our energetic and cooperative spirit helps generate effective teamwork.

Thanks for the chance to work for biggest company in the western Canada

It has been great time during 6 years and 11 months, great guys, wide variety of work and unique challenges kept me engaged and taught me a lot. Thanks Houle

15 February 2022
Thanks for the review! Glad to hear that you found the work engaging and challenging.

depends on a project

Union Company. While coworkers and your foreman can be great people you still treated as a number. They hire people when they need hands and kick them out when not needed.

Run away

Misogynistic, leadership bullying, dysfunctional, disorganized processes, unqualified managers, toxic culture, stressful, software is archaic-double-triple entry, no room for advancement, management will actually walk right past you without acknowledging your existence, father-dughter duo rule the roost.

Pros

Salary ok, but can you deal with the disfunction

Cons

Horrible working environment

Great team to work with allowing one to see project from start to finish

In the Service Division there is a requirement to be able to provide quick quotes which means you had to drop any large project being estimated, some stress with this if time management is not one of your skills.Working for an employee owned company is different than working for a large corporation who's bottom line is the profit margin for share holders. At Houle everyone's suggestions are considered and if agreed to be a move to a profitable ROI it is moved on.All in all Houle has a great workplace culture with balanced work and personal life as long as you are able to control time management.

Pros

Group BBQs for special occasions

Cons

Not enough resources for special services

Treats their systems people like garbage

A quality "Electrical" contractor but for all system they are incredibly terrible. Treat their systems people like second class citizens, all bonuses and benefits are geared towards electrical/construciton woprkers and NOT at all towards systems staff. Felt like I was left on my own to sink or swim and bullied often. No mentoring at all even though they kept claiming to offer mentoring.New management is horrible and cancelled any/all team building events permanently. No management direction at all.

Pros

Nice people, fun annual camping events

Cons

Treated horribly, no bonuses for systems people, ONLY for electrical construciton staff.

Great Company

Working at Houle was a great experience. Sometimes Management focused on the sales vs. Their employees needs. Houle is known to overwork their employees. Not enough support for staff. Company grew too big too fast, unable to keep up with the growing demand. Employees treated each other like family. You are rewarded for hard work. RRSP matching program is amazing. Company switched owners and management in 2018, maybe changes for the better have been made.

Pros

Great people, benefits

Cons

Stressful, long hours, not supported enough by management

A great place to work

I very much enjoyed working for Houle. The staff was pleasant and the culture is positive. They encourage a work life balance and treat the staff very well. The office is beautiful and the summer BBQ’s are a great thing for all employees to enjoy on an amazing deck outside. The gym is another perk of working at the head office location. I would highly recommend for everyone to work for Houle if given the opportunity.

Pros

Lots of staff functions

Cons

Long commute.

2 February 2022
Thank you for your kind review! Our summer BBQ's are an employee favourite!

loved it

depends what you do. some love or hate the company. i love what i did and how they conducted themselves would work again for them in a heartbeat. put your best foot forward and get rewarded!

Fun and challanging place to work

Always adapting and changing with the industry Houle was a great company to work for. All the staff were friendly and it felt like a family. Only left the job because of family requirements.

At Houle Electric, you are just a number

At the beginning, they were a terrific company to work for. They got too big, too fast. They are a union shop (IBEW) as far as technical staff are concerned. Just remember, you are replaceable. There has been a fairly large exodus of long term employees (that should tell you something) If you are a good 'brown noser' you will fit in nicely

People are great but company ethics are still in the 80's

People and wage are good, work is also good as there are a number of people you can ask questions and help if needed but company honesty and benefits are tragic. Medical and Dental are Very Basic. RRSP matching is horribly dishonest as it is a holding scheme.

Productive and good team support

A contract position, so no permanent position to fill after contract ended. But overall I gained valuable experience on working in the industry on site.

Great place to work for the right person.

Self-motivated, reliable, and trustworthy people can excel here. Taking pride in your work while balancing that with time management is key. Lazy, slow, and sloppy work will not be rewarded.

Overall Rating 2/5

Job was stable for a while but there was not much room for advancement. The salary was not competitive enough compared to level of experience. Felt overlooked and not valued enough as an employee.

Good Union Employer.

Good Union Employer. Large company with great capabilities. Provides quality equipment and PPE. Good quality employees. I am now just typing to fill the word requirement.

Worked with them for 4 years

Treated me great. As long as you worked hard and didn’t screw around you were respected and treated well. Had to know the right people for promotions though. That kind of sucked.

Pros

Good pay, great front line leadership, great area super intendants

Cons

Some awful higher ups who were not qualified. All about who you blow now what you know.

Top heavy company

estimators pick and chose jobs and create a very top heavy company, guys in the field spend most of their year on unemployment while company is trying to bid the next big contract.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houle Electric. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement