HOTEL GRAND PACIFIC

HOTEL GRAND PACIFIC Employee Reviews

Canada18 reviews

Independent hotel that recognizes hard work

This hotel will give you opportunities to grow if you are willing to work hard and have a positive mindset and attitude. If you are looking to start a hospitality career, this is the place to go.Most colleagues are friendly which makes it a fun workplace.Great benefits that can't be beat.In normal conditions, the summer is very fast-paced with the winter being slow-paced.

Great Place to work

The hotel is a great place to work if you want a stable job and the salary is fair. You have to know that the entire hospitality industry is going through a very hard time in terms of the lack of collaborators, which you will have to handle well as a professional. If you are a hard worker and have availability in the mornings and afternoons, it would be very ideal.I recommend that you come prepared to work hard. The human resources area is very understanding and most of the managers are very friendly and will help you in any way they can. Customers are very friendly, if you are looking for work where tips are involved, it is an excellent help you will have for the high cost of living in the city of Victoria.

Insights into HOTEL GRAND PACIFIC

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energizing work tasks

Friendliest Hotel I've ever worked

The Grand Pacific is one of the best companies to work for and probably the friendliest hotel I've ever worked. I not only like the Company culture, but also how they treat their employees, with respect, fairness and growth opportunity. I had a really good training experience that helped with my quickly promotion. The benefits and wages are pretty good but what I probably like the most is my coworkers. I am glad we have created the dream team. My manager is a great person. She is very professional and a good communicator and she is always pushing us positively to reach our goals.

Flexible and Positive work place to be

Working with Hotel Grand Pacific, I feel a part of a family more than an employee. Hotel Grand Pacific has an independent work environment allows the employee to choose and work at the style that best suits one. We have a compassionate team member encompasses a level of respect, empathy, and overall support to each other.I believe when working for an organization that maintains a happy work environment, one may feel encouraged and motivated to finish more work. This may help you finish more tasks throughout your workday, which can lead to management trusting you with more responsibility. You may also produce a higher quality of work since you might feel prepared to finish your duties more efficiently. This is what Hotel Grand Pacific!Working in the sales department, I have opportunities to travel and reconnect with people from the industry such as attending Tradeshows, events & conferences.Fun part if the social committee, who organizes monthly events which allows employee from all department to connect :)

Pros

Fun Social Committee, Discounted staff meals, Athletic club membership

Terrible place to work wouldn’t recommend to anyone

Hotel is almost as trash as management is. If you want a terrible work culture where management and HR only care about the staff with “seniority” and brush it off as “business needs” then you’ve found your calling! They will let senior staff go on vacations and make you work all the terrible shifts, constantly complain about what you’re doing wrong, get upset when you refer to men as “sir.” An HR rep who is actually good at their job would make compromises and meet you in the middle but not here! They will always side with management and ask you why you are working here if you feel “burnt out.” They wonder why they have a staff shortage? Perhaps it’s time for them to get off their high horse and take a look in the mirror.

Official response from HOTEL GRAND PACIFIC

20 June 2022
We understand that you feel upset about your few weeks of experience working with us at the Hotel. It is unfortunate that your vacation requests were not able to be met and that this was a deal breaker for you so soon into your tenure with us. We do hope you are able to find a more suitable fit for your employment.

An incredible hotel

The hotel is excellent, it is right in the heart of Victoria, facing the inner harbour. The staff are really efficient, friendly and the best thing is that they help each other. If you are students, they are very flexible with your schedules and the managers are very open to listening to you. They have good benefits for employees and the salary is above surrounding hotels.

Same volume of work, half the staff

COVID hit the hotel very hard. Most people got other jobs, so not many of us came back for obvious reasons around July 2021. The work-load was waaaay too much. Everyone in every department, and every department manager I was close to, was so tired, sad, overworked, bitter, and/or angry by the time I left, myself included. It used to be a great place to work, and I genuinely never thought about it when I got back home, but after returning in July, it quickly turned into never not thinking about how long I have left until my next shift.Typical day at work was getting run off my feet, as we were almost always understaffed. Management was actually one of the highlights of working at the hotel. Some of the best managers I've ever worked with I met at the hotel. They do genuinely care, but they're also all getting run off their feet.Wages are barely above average, despite being unionized. Job security was nice, but the amount of shifts you got depended solely on how long you've been employed there. This was particularly infuriating when I encountered many coworkers that were lazy or didn't care, meanwhile many new staff who really needed shifts would get a couple of shifts a week, and never be eligible for their benefits. I used to enjoy working at the hotel, but it's a shame our wages were so mediocre under our union contract with the amount of work we needed to do. I am fully pro-union for places like Starbucks and Amazon, and specifically for the housekeeping department at the hotel, but I don't see how the staffing issue will ever get solved when you can find easier jobs -

Pros

Coworkers and management, discounted gym pass

Cons

All of the responsibility, none of the fulfillment. Mentally and physically draining. The union, in my opinion

Welcoming and structured

Loved my experience working in the pastry department. Everyone was welcoming and nice to be around. Well structured and managed. Would recommend this as a work place to anyone!

Roller Coaster

The people and staff are great. But some people do not like some departments and managements. Poor supports and some are not great team players. It really depends who is working with you.

Friendly workplace Culture, good management, great benefit, could be busy during the summer time, depends on department, Great place to have a part time job for sure.

Fair wage

Not an easy job but it pays well. Not recommended for students (unless you can easily balance your time) because it's super exhausting and some of the stuff you do isn't particularly easy.

Management is not great

They bully you. The only way you can move up is having open availability. The whole “ we can accommodate your schedule” is a lie. I suggest not applying here if you are in school, or hoping to have two days off in a row. The coworkers are great but other than that not a great work environment. And when I complained about my boss’ behaviour and treatment towards me to HR she felt hostile and not helpful.

Official response from HOTEL GRAND PACIFIC

18 October 2019
We are saddened to read this review about your work experience at the Hotel Grand Pacific. We strive every day to do what is fair for all our employees while maintaining service levels required by our business. You are right in stating restricting ones work availability for any reason over the busier days does limit our ability to offer full-time work.We do wish you the best of luck finding full-time work while maintaining your other commitments.

Cannot say enough positive things!!

I worked at the Hotel Grand Pacific for 7 full years but left to follow the allure of one of the "big chains". After 6 years away, I am back and sooo glad that I am. I can summarize what you will find here in one word "Genuine". All of the staff and management genuinely care for each other and for the guests that stay. There is no need for an institutionalized education program that tries to promote engagement as the culture here exudes "engagement". I have seen first hand how management cares for staff and how warm and welcoming everyone is. If you are looking for an opportunity to truly be a part of a team that works together to help each other and to help make guests have an amazing time, look no further.

Pros

Warm welcoming colleagues

Great People

Everyone is friendly, I really felt welcomed from the first day. My training was good and the department is organized which makes the job easier. I'm glad I made the move to this hotel.

Pros

Good Pay, Friendly People, Nice Manager

Cons

Seniority rules

Fun & friendly co-workers. Good pay & benefits

I worked at the front desk five years ago and still know people that work there now. It has a friendly work environment. Management are very approachable and truly care about the employees. Felt like a valued member of the hotel team and miss working there. Hotel discounts and industry perks are great for an independent property and I miss the extended benefits. My current employer doesn't pay for as much as the Hotel Grand Pacific did.

Pros

Great team environment. Beautiful property to work at

Cons

Can work overtime in the summer months when its gets extreemly busy

Lack of communication

The hotel grand pacific is a nice hotel in general, but their current restaurant manager is a clueless one. There is a big lack of communication, often staff is not notified about changes to menu of politics. The management blame everyone else for their mistake instead of assuming responsibility. Often throwing the assistant manager or manager of other department under the bus.

Pros

good wage

Cons

seniority based on date of hire, incompetant management, directionless, no progression, clicky

Great People

I've worked in hotels all over the globe and have to say this is my favourite....the people are great, very welcoming and friendly. I eat lunch with General Manager on a regular basis in the employee breakroom....he is very sincere and approachable not a snob like at other hotels. My fav benefit is the gym membership - really amazing gym and pool. Only downside is the jerk who runs the union...but he's easy enough to avoid.

Pros

Gym membership

Great Place to work

Great training and standards in place. Location and building are very beautiful Proud to say I worked here.

Pros

Discounted staff meals

Cons

Heavy workload

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HOTEL GRAND PACIFIC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement