Hot Topic, Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun and great work
SALES ASSOCIATE/BREAKER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 May 2018
Its a great place to get along with employees and customers a like. they are good with making sure your work schedule doesn't convey into your life schedule. if you are into pop culture and enjoy working but having a good time, this is the place for you
Incredibly Scrict, Outdated
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2018
The till system is completely outdated and as long as the higher ups just think you are cool, you’re good. Myself and many of my associates and fellow managers agree that we are afraid we will do something somewhat wrong and will be terminated because of the company’s strict policies. If you are a collector, sure your discount brings the price of Funko’s down but if you so little as trade with a fellow collector, you will be terminated as they have secret members in Facebook groups. Sales associates are written up if their till is off so little as 5 cents. The job is fairly easy if you are a sales associate but you hardly have hours if you are and only the store manager and assistant get more than 30.
Pros
Customers, Pop Culture Aspect
Cons
Pay, Policies, Windows 98 System
Good high school job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2018
This job is good if you are in highschool or if you need a job while in college. This job would not be good for someone who is wanting to move up in the company. They make it hard to move up to management.
Fun outgoing staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 April 2018
My time spent at hot topic only came to an end due to a management issue. In which I was going to HR about. I absolutely loved my job with the company and would go back in a heartbeat
Pros
Its like a family
Cons
Not always nice management
People are good, money is bad.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2018
One shift a week that is 3hrs if you arent a long time sales associate. Terrible security, Company never makes enough money to give you any shifts. Not really any benefits. Bad job.
FUN workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 March 2018
Hot Topic was FUN place to work at. Wish i could go back! The employees were really good and the customers were friendly. So the environment there was GOOOD!!!
Incredible Environment & Workplace
Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB26 February 2018
Hot Topic is the greatest place, retail wise that ive worked at so far. Its a great upbeat workplace that I love to call myself a part of and I am proud to call it my current workplace.
Overall a pretty fun environment and worth it if you are just looking for a second job or in school.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2018
Working for Hot Topic was by far my favorite job. I met so many great people within the company, and a majority had the same interests so it was very easy getting along with my co-workers. Not only that, but the customers were always so nice and it wasn't really a stressful environment. However, the hours were so bad! you would be lucky if they even gave you a shift some weeks and if you did you would get a range from 3-6 (but this also depends on the traffic of the mall). Issue is that its way too over-staffed, and they can't hand out all the hours to everyone. Not only that, but it's impossible to move up in the company. If you're a sales associate and you want to move up, good luck. With all that said though, I definitely do recommend this job to people who aren't really looking for a lot of hours, and who are in school. Regardless of the bad hours, it still is a very awesome place to work and you will meet some of the coolest people there, so if the hours work for you, go for it!
Pros
fun environment, great/ loyal customers, awesome discount, amazing staff
Cons
no hours, very difficult to move up
Great place to work, but there’s always room for improvement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2018
My time at Hottopic has been over all an amazing experience, friendly staff and customers. Hottopic is an extremely excepting environment, and a fun easy going place to work. Hours can be rough but that’s retail. Over all a good experience.
Pros
Great staff, positive environment
Cons
Minimal hours
Not the best topic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eaton Centre31 January 2018
This place is beyond help almost, the systems are so out of date it takes almost ten minutes to even cash out one person. It's impossible to find anything in the stock room and the floor is so cluttered that it makes trying to clean it at night next to impossible. I don't know how people do it.
Fun job, no chance for advancement.
customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2018
It was a fun job, first location I worked at was amazing. Staff was very compassionate and caring. Breaks every four hours and lunch after five hours. Management at second location was not nearly as friendly but it was still a decent work place. Best part of working was meeting others who enjoy great music. Hardest part of the job was when the store got too busy to be allowed to go on break.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Poor Management
Productive and Fun work Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 January 2018
Hot Topic was a great place to work it really helped me come out of my shell. Working there was a lot of fun, great co workers, great management, customers are very friendly.
Fun and Inviting!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 December 2017
The people there are awesome. Happy and friendly environment. great discount. The only downside was there wasnt a lot of hours being given out. Great work for part time!
Pros
Staff, Discount, Environment
Cons
Hours
All the managers were super fun and nice.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2017
The managers were great to work with and the dress code was relaxed. It was a really fun environment as you could really be yourself with the customers and easily sell merchandise.
Overall fun place to work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 September 2017
Love everything about my job but management is very nit picky.
Open/close duties
Chatting with a bunch of cool people with the same interest as me everyday.
Pros
Rad Music
torrid
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2017
management horrible but a great company to work for. Not to much work life balance. great incentives. great products and overall an ok work environment.
Great managers and staff leading to a fun and productive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 July 2017
I loved working at this store got to meet new people and make lasting friends while working hard for customers to keep them happy. Learned how to be more personable and improve how i interact with customers.
Pros
Great time working with the team as they were all really friendly
Cons
Far from my new home
Sales Associate
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2017
Hot Topic is great for those looking for part time employment, especially if youre a student.
Flexibility is great (within reason), it is harder to advance in the company as many managers are hired outside the company. But it's overall a great job experience
Pros
flexible, great atmosphere, fun work place
Cons
its retail so don't expect a paradise of alternative lifestyles
Be yourself
Multi-Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2017
Hot Topic gives you the opportunity to be yourself and work in a fun and creative environment. There are many areas of advancement and is full of new and exciting challenges.
Pros
dress how ever you want!
Cons
Fun face paced place to work
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Metrotown, BC6 June 2017
Wasn't comfortable working in retail, looking to get out of retail. The job was fine I just couldn't work in a mall space anymore. I needed more hours and there was none to give.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
In a mall

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hot Topic, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.