Hot Topic, Inc.
Coronavirus update
Information from Hot Topic, Inc.:

Hot Topic, Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada74 reviews
Good
Enjoyable, good culture. Good company but a little stressful with email pushes at checkout. Can be a bit daunting for areas that are in tourist areas and don’t get a lot of time off for holidays.
Horrible manager
The manager was hard to work with. They push their employees extremely hard to make sales, and maintain unrealistic sales numbers. Terribly low hours, would consistently get a single 3 hour shift a week. Manager showed clear favoritism over some employees.
Hot topic is a great place to work, with an amazing staff. But dont expect stable income while working.
Hot Topic is a great place to work, with the staff being friendly and really having that family dynamic, to the workload being reasonable. Super fun job to have, but for anyone that doesnt have a manager position, you will not get hours outside of holiday season. Standard is 3-9 hours a week. Dont apply here unless you are comfortable with hours within that range
I enjoyed my experience at hot topic the manager was friendly and vibrant and encouraged a nice and harmonious work environment
A typical day at work was fast paced and easy going ,it’s always an exciting and delightful experience with friendly co workers and experienced intelligent managers who helped the work pace flow with ease.
fun wokeplace
they accept who you are they willing for you to do work experience everyone is helpful . It's one of my favourite places for nerds of all kinds to BE, because there's really something for everyone. Animation, music, Netflix TV, video games - it's all there! And there's everything from collectables, to accessories, to apparel and Luckily, Hot Topic always has amazing sales and deals to help make those sales happen!
fun place to work
oddly coporate for a company that hires likeminded individuals to work together. spending time with coworkers outside of work is very frowned upon.
overall fun place to work, coworkers were great, management overall was solid
Big Oof
My particular store had a lot of issues from the get go. I had been there since we opened. I was promoted to a keyholder, then an assistant manager. I got paid $15.10 and I was a step below the manager of the store. That is absurd. The higher ups in the company (ie. District Manager, Regional Manager) could give less of a care about their employee dissatisfaction. One time, my DM told me that if an employee is unhappy, there is the door. No wonder we had such a high turn over rate.
Hot Topic is my kind of place
As a nerd, in VANCOUVER, of all cities, the environment of any Hot Topic is something I greatly appreciate. It's one of my favourite places for nerds of all kinds to BE, because there's really something for everyone. Animation, music, Netflix TV, video games - it's all there! And there's everything from collectables, to accessories, to apparel! My only downside is the feeling that the corporate minds behind the company don't really understand their audience... It's tough to push certain items when it's very clear it could've been 1) made better, or 2) made smarter. Luckily, Hot Topic always has amazing sales and deals to help make those sales happen!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Hot Topic, Inc.?
Truly fun and accepting environment
A welcoming workplace, willing to help anyone who needs it, customer or employees. The staff is warm and welcoming, and management treats the staff like family while still maintaining a professional environment to grow and work in. 10/10 would work here again.
Once A Lovely Place To Work...
When I started at Hot Topic, I felt like I was part of the family already. I was accomplishing all my tasks with a smile. However, once the old management team had left to move on to better things and we got a new manager, the company suddenly felt like more of a burden. The manager and keyholder do not do their jobs at all, leaving the store a mess most of the time, or leaving it to sales associates who are not paid to manage the store.
Lowest Paid Management | Unprofessional & Unethical Business
Only work here if you thoroughly enjoy the products sold, a very casual environment & part time. Full time is absolutely not worth it unless you are a store manager or are on the management team short term.
It was Alright
While the hours were few to none, the overall work experience was amazing. The people and customers were awesome, as well as how welcoming they were to new people.
Management nightmare
When I started at Hot Topic our store was considered part of the Ottawa district. Our DM was great, our manager was pretty terrible but as a whole our staff was good at coming together and dealing with her.

Then they decided to switch our store into the Toronto district, and we were reassigned to the DM FROM HADES. She was literally the worst DM I've ever worked for in my life. She was rude, didn't get back to us, accused us of things all the time, and very clearly played favorites.

Our Manager ended up getting fired before the holiday season and she refused to get a new manager in, so I had to run the store for 5 months by myself. We made more money then the last holiday season and my staff all loved the change. After the 5 months I asked if I could just take the store over permanently since I was doing a decent job, but surprise, she had hired her friend from Bath and Body to come take over our store.

As soon as the new manager came, they accused me of stealing money with no proof, while I had proof of where the money was and that it wasn't missing. They could never write me up but they bullied me into quitting. And after I quit they fired everyone on our staff and replaced them.
Loved everything and would happily go back
One of my most favorite past work endevours would gladly go to work there again possibly longer as long as you can let everyone know ans such about when to be there and work together there would be typically no issues
Be yourself and let loose the nerd
I loved working at Hot topic in Canada, though it has a few fall backs. In the negative, shipping from the US website to Canada bloooows, and customers can't ship it to your store either. And there is nothing you can do about it. There are constant changes and half the stuff sent from HQ makes no sense since it is all geared towards the US stores. (Boo)

On the positive though, it is a super welcoming environment that really encourages you to be you or to try new things, like dyeing your hair. Tattoos and piercings are perfectly acceptable and they really drive the whole, "just because they have tattoos and piercings, doesn't mean that they can't be amazing at their job" fact home. It's a dynamite place to work, plus the discount and merch is preeeeettty sweet!!
Pros
Tattoos, piercings, dyed hair, getting to nerd out because it's literally your job
Cons
Constant promo changes, younger clientele, harder to move up depending.
could be a better place
worked there as a co-op student, it was not a very friendly and welcoming environment. manager was not friendly, denied employee discount and refused to give me customer reward points the first time and was reluctant after that. not a very good environment to work in when you're a co-op student because they don't treat you right.
Horrible company
The only good thing about this place were some of the employees I worked directly with majority just seem to have a hidden agenda. Management is a joke, their current dm is incredibly sexist and very fake. I recommend staying away from this place. Like we weren’t sent toilet paper for a month cause “there wasn’t enough money in the budget for it.
Pros
Discount and some employees
Cons
Everything else about the company
Fun co- workers and management
The co-workers at Vaughan Mills are super fun to work with everyone is understanding and friendly. The management is super helpful and always ready to help when they can. Overall a really fun experience I wouldn’t have left but I had another job opportunity.
Pros
Fun and positive work atmosphere
Cons
Ur on ur feet a lot but that’s basically all retail jobs
Very fast paced.
Working at the eaton centre was CRAZY. You'd have to watch out for shoplifters 24/7 while dealing with 100 questions and screaming kids all while trying to fold stuff and stock shelves
No hours, no room to grow
Managers give hours based on social status in the workplace rather than work ethic, nepotism runs rampant in hiring as well as promoting. Pettiness and cattiness among management leads to a toxic work environment where employees and customers alike are gossiped about and made fun of.|
Pros
40% discount on emo merch, no dress code
Cons
no hours, bad management, toxic work environment, no career advancement
great environment, wonderful coworkers, not a good job to live off of
Learned a lot about customer service and how to be outgoing.

Helped me become more comfortable with interacting with people.

Not enough shifts to be able to live a comfortable lifestyle with.

Been there for years and have never received a promotion or raise.
Cons
no hours to work
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hot Topic, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.