Hot Topic, Inc. Employee Reviews

People are good, money is bad.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2018
One shift a week that is 3hrs if you arent a long time sales associate. Terrible security, Company never makes enough money to give you any shifts. Not really any benefits. Bad job.
FUN workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 March 2018
Hot Topic was FUN place to work at. Wish i could go back! The employees were really good and the customers were friendly. So the environment there was GOOOD!!!
Incredible Environment & Workplace
Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB26 February 2018
Hot Topic is the greatest place, retail wise that ive worked at so far. Its a great upbeat workplace that I love to call myself a part of and I am proud to call it my current workplace.
Overall a pretty fun environment and worth it if you are just looking for a second job or in school.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2018
Working for Hot Topic was by far my favorite job. I met so many great people within the company, and a majority had the same interests so it was very easy getting along with my co-workers. Not only that, but the customers were always so nice and it wasn't really a stressful environment. However, the hours were so bad! you would be lucky if they even gave you a shift some weeks and if you did you would get a range from 3-6 (but this also depends on the traffic of the mall). Issue is that its way too over-staffed, and they can't hand out all the hours to everyone. Not only that, but it's impossible to move up in the company. If you're a sales associate and you want to move up, good luck. With all that said though, I definitely do recommend this job to people who aren't really looking for a lot of hours, and who are in school. Regardless of the bad hours, it still is a very awesome place to work and you will meet some of the coolest people there, so if the hours work for you, go for it!
Pros
fun environment, great/ loyal customers, awesome discount, amazing staff
Cons
no hours, very difficult to move up
Great place to work, but there’s always room for improvement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2018
My time at Hottopic has been over all an amazing experience, friendly staff and customers. Hottopic is an extremely excepting environment, and a fun easy going place to work. Hours can be rough but that’s retail. Over all a good experience.
Pros
Great staff, positive environment
Cons
Minimal hours
Not the best topic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eaton Centre31 January 2018
This place is beyond help almost, the systems are so out of date it takes almost ten minutes to even cash out one person. It's impossible to find anything in the stock room and the floor is so cluttered that it makes trying to clean it at night next to impossible. I don't know how people do it.
Fun job, no chance for advancement.
customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2018
It was a fun job, first location I worked at was amazing. Staff was very compassionate and caring. Breaks every four hours and lunch after five hours. Management at second location was not nearly as friendly but it was still a decent work place. Best part of working was meeting others who enjoy great music. Hardest part of the job was when the store got too busy to be allowed to go on break.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Poor Management
Productive and Fun work Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 January 2018
Hot Topic was a great place to work it really helped me come out of my shell. Working there was a lot of fun, great co workers, great management, customers are very friendly.
Fun and Inviting!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 December 2017
The people there are awesome. Happy and friendly environment. great discount. The only downside was there wasnt a lot of hours being given out. Great work for part time!
Pros
Staff, Discount, Environment
Cons
Hours
All the managers were super fun and nice.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2017
The managers were great to work with and the dress code was relaxed. It was a really fun environment as you could really be yourself with the customers and easily sell merchandise.
Overall fun place to work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 September 2017
Love everything about my job but management is very nit picky.
Open/close duties
Chatting with a bunch of cool people with the same interest as me everyday.
Pros
Rad Music
torrid
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2017
management horrible but a great company to work for. Not to much work life balance. great incentives. great products and overall an ok work environment.
Great managers and staff leading to a fun and productive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 July 2017
I loved working at this store got to meet new people and make lasting friends while working hard for customers to keep them happy. Learned how to be more personable and improve how i interact with customers.
Pros
Great time working with the team as they were all really friendly
Cons
Far from my new home
Sales Associate
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2017
Hot Topic is great for those looking for part time employment, especially if youre a student.
Flexibility is great (within reason), it is harder to advance in the company as many managers are hired outside the company. But it's overall a great job experience
Pros
flexible, great atmosphere, fun work place
Cons
its retail so don't expect a paradise of alternative lifestyles
Be yourself
Multi-Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2017
Hot Topic gives you the opportunity to be yourself and work in a fun and creative environment. There are many areas of advancement and is full of new and exciting challenges.
Pros
dress how ever you want!
Cons
Fun face paced place to work
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Metrotown, BC6 June 2017
Wasn't comfortable working in retail, looking to get out of retail. The job was fine I just couldn't work in a mall space anymore. I needed more hours and there was none to give.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
In a mall
A great place to be grow and have fun, personal issues make pay a strain.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 June 2017
Working at Hot Topic has been, without a doubt, the best work experience of my life. Not only is the environment perfect for someone who, like me, may not be the most open socially, but management is fair and easy to talk to. My teammates are all incredibly unique individuals, as is every customer I get to talk to.

Unfortunately, due to a large staff, hours are hard to come by, and the minuscule pay puts a heavy strain on my day to day.
Pros
Amazing environment, staff and experience
Cons
poor pay
Fun Job!
Service Management/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 May 2017
I feel like working at Hot Topic is different from any other retail job. If you can obsess over a tv show or game or movie, working at Hot Topic can be a piece of cake for you. You can fangirl with the customers ad connect through the merchandise and it doesn't feel like working at all! My manager specifically has helped me acquire skills needed to advance in this company that can also help me in my other career (entrepreneur here).
Pros
Merch!
Cons
Hours can be iffy
Fine
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2017
Unfortunately, they prefer to hire from the outside instead of promoting from within. The way that the branches are run appear very loose, but there are actually big consequences
Almost no negatives and that's rare
FT Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 May 2017
HT has so many good points going for it that the few bad points it has are totally worth dealing with. You get benefits as a PT ASM, FT ASM, or SM...but be careful! They give you one day to sign up and if you don't sign up that day they'll never let you sign up again (happened to me). Management if great and you can easily reach out to most of the other managers or the DM's if you have a question/concern. Everyone is highly encouraged to move up within the company too, and they actually help you develop plans to get where you want to go.
Pros
Benefits, wages, hours, work environment, management teams
Cons
Deadlines are unfair for certain things

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hot Topic, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.